Mathis ...thanks for the memories

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metro4ever, Sep 30, 2003.

1. metro4ever

metro4ever New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Metroland-NJ
    I used to love the way you play the sport you were the terror in every defender on MLS
    But all of that is just a BLURR now ...
    is time to move on ...LA ? Europe?
    good luck and thanks for the good old memories

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    man for a second
    when i read the title of your tread i thought clint had died

3. Return Of W.Tymczyna

Jan 5, 2000
    Fort Lauderdale
    This coming from a newbie.

Sure Mathis has disappointed as of late. But let's not get so depressed over a few games. He will break out of the slump he is going thru and I'm sure he will carry us over into the playoffs proud.

Remember, he's fighting for a chance at Europe. And look on the bright side...if he goes we get an allocation (cause we are NY). Or if he stays, well how many other Metros have scored that many goals for us?

I believe in Mathis and our team. Look at the improvement this year. We'll make it into the playoffs and by then it's a new season.

Support your Metros.

-Walter

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What's the difference? With all the games he's going to miss with all of the red cards, he might as well be dead.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He's going to miss two games. Get over it. We have some terrific yougsters coming on, and Juskowiak is actually starting to move around the field a bit.

And Woly is making a case for a starting spot, and there's always the chance Nick will get stuck in some AEG closet, which will make Bob's job a whole lot more pleasant.

You don't realize things are looking up till you look down at where we've been.

6. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    before Bradley lets him on the field to play again he must wear duct tape over his big mouth.

7. Just an honest question, please don't be offended.

If he got a yellow card and a red card, does that mean he serves a suspension for that yellow pushing him over the limit for card points, and for his red, meaning he would miss two league games, or do both those games count as one, and the other game u speak of is the us open cup match?

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    1st Clint was never endangered of going over the Caution Points limit. He would have earned his third Yellow in four matches against Columbus or DC on Thursday. That didn't happen so his two in one against DC on Sunday has forced him to be suspended against the Quakes on October 5th. But his Red Card suspension in the Open Cup is a seperate issue. He got Red carded in the Quarterfinals against the Revolution

9. thanks, that makes more sense now. I knew the open cup was a different competition, i assumed he'd had 2 yellows tho.

Caution Points are still rediculous, and the 3 in 4 not much better.

10. TIKY

TIKY New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    San Diego
    As much as I'm inclined to pile on Cleetus, there is a silver lining to his "lackluster" play.

As of Sept. 25, 2003 (from metrostars.com)...
    *most game winning goals for Metros with 3
    *team points leader with 19, ranked 10th in MLS
    *team goals leader with 9, ranked 9th in MLS

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. IMO the real problem is the year he had in 2001--if I'm not mistaken. That was the year of the Mathis. Since then he has not lived up to the "promise" of that year we've all gotten greedy. However, a poor year for Mathis does NOT make a poor year for an average MLS player.

Cleetus' stats speak for himself. His on field attitude on the other hand leaves something to be desired. WTF is he thinking out there?

Play good. Demeanor bad. :)

11. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Clint can't go away... if he did my bobblehead would be outdated.

12. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Lets just see what this two game suspension does to him mentally... it might do him a whole lot of good. Hopefully he can return with a fresh mentallity and new attitude that will lead us into the playoffs. Have faith in Cletus.

VIVA METRO!!!!

13. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Hope Mathis will stay at Metrostars

People on this board said "Mathis should go to Europe". Well, it is not that easy.
    Each year there are so many young talents merging in football market competing for a few spots in Europe. Talent along is not enough, the club will sign a player only if he is young, with strong performances under his belt, a good discipline record, and mentally and physically strong. So I don't think Mathis will play in Europe. Bruce S's message is exactly what I have been thinking in the past 12 month. People surrounded Mathis should take the responsibility offer some help.
    If Mathis stays at MLS, hope he'll stay at Metrostars. He will keep us busy at Bigsoccer board, he'll keep us dizzy with his roller coaster performance, he'll make us love him and hate him at the same time, and that's is entertaining

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    not a bad idea.

15. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Personally i would like to see Mathis in a Metro jersey next season. I know most of u guys will disagree with me on that one but to me he symbolizes the Metros. He's been our most recognized player the past 3 seasons and its not just from the bad haircuts but his style of play and nose for the goal wich makes him so dangerous.

The fact that the Metros record when he scores is like 20-2 or something like that just shows u how much he has meant to this club over the past years. When i think Mathis i think Metrostars, and when i think Metros i think Mathis. It is sad to see that he hasn't lived up to his full potential because he could of been the best goal-scorer this country has ever seen.

The day Mathis leaves this club will truely be a sad one in my eyes...

16. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    i cant see us getting anyone better to replace him, i say keep him

17. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I totally agree with Red&Black1, I hope Mathis will stay with Metrostars.

18. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Exactly.... i doubt we can find someone as good as him willing to play for MLS chump change. Hopefully no teams in europe will be interested when the time comes and Mathis pledges his future to the Mighty Metros.

The question is if Mathis cut himself would he bleed red and black??? I doubt it but I'm anxious to see what happens at season's end. If he ends up going to any other MLS side on his own will then i shall never aknowledge him as a former Metro..

VIVA METROS!!!

19. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we will see how the team plays without him in the next two games. Opinons might change.

20. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Will be interesting to see if he shows to support the club at Yurick field tomorrow.
    That would be the right place to be.

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Anyone else think this 2 week layover may be the best possible thing for Clint? It seems that over the last 2 years, with distractions from injury, the World Cup, the Nats in general, the mounting criticism and his trying to regain his form, Mathis hasn't had a moment to just collect himself in a long long time. He can take these two weeks, and do some work on fundamentals without worrying about which defender will be man-marked on him. Bradley will have time to try and get back into his head to try and cut down on the ref talking. I think Mathis comes back in two weeks a much more relaxed and much better player.

PS: For whoever it was that said they didn't think Mathis bled red and black, check again. There are few players in the history of our team to bleed the colors more than Mathis.

22. Nica1004

Nica1004 Member

Sep 14, 2002
    the couch
    Well, we can always have Queer Eye For The Straight Guy's Fab Five teach him how to speak to the refs while on the field.

It would make for an interesting episode.

23. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC
    Die hard Mathis supporters have been saying that he will break of the slump he is ever since the first Month of the season. The season is almost over and you are still saying the same thing. Clint what have you done for us lately??????

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Hope Mathis will stay at Metrostars

If there are any NBA fans here, this story reminds me of Vin Baker, who was viewed as a real up and coming NBA All-Star player.His career went into an unexplained tailspin, coincident with him gaining some weight. Turns out, he had a very severe drinking problem-he was alcoholic. He has recently gotten help but he will never be the player he was or could have been. Mark my word, I am not sure it is drinking, but there is more to this story than just an amazingly inconsistent player. Nobody is THIS inconsistent.

25. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    I'm inconsistent in everything I do. Mark my words... I don't have a substance abuse problem.