Mathis Set For English Talks

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Partizan_fc, Nov 15, 2003.

1. comrade

comrade New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    MAYBE Mathis does "think a few steps ahead" of other players (in MLS), but I don't think that will do him much good now that he's lost a step. When was the last time Mathis beat a defender one on one? Nobody here knows how he'll perform, we just have to wait and see.

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a big kick out of one British article during Man Utd's USA tour that mentioned us silly Americans discussing the possibility of Tim starting for Man Utd this year before the match not realizing, according to the English sports writer, that he had no chance at all.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    link?

4. dickmac

dickmac New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team sucked because of more than Mathis; but his crappy attitude and bad performance was not what I would expect from a "leader."

If he does well in England, I will be happy to say I was wrong about him.

5. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does mathis have to be the leader? Just because you're a star doesn't mean you're the leader.

In my mind Tim Howard was the Leader of the metrostars.

Things got pretty *#*#*#*#*#*# when he left. Nobody stepped up and became the heart of the team. Eddie Pope was the captain, but he's not the dynamic leader type.

Mathis is dynamic but that doesn't make him a leader.

I think the problem with the Metros in the last half of the season is that they had no on the field leadership. No motivation. Maybe Mathis should have been the leader, but I think guys like Pope or Jolley or even Williams should have stepped into that role.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

That wasn't an English writer, it was Jamie Trecker.

7. The article reads like typical agent work drumming up interest where there is nothing definite yet.

Still, I think Clint will find a spot. If he is on any decent team, I think a lot of Mathis bashers will be eating crow when he begins to perform. He has been sadly misunderestimated by the majority of Metro fans.

Stop carping on Clint, he's gone. So all you obsessiveanticlintoids should be focusing on what Bradley is doing to actually find us a complete midfield. Then again most of you believe that jettisoning Clint alone will lead us to the double.

Fat chance of that. Wake up and start paying attention to the rest of the squad. It needs major *#*#*#*#ing work up front and in the midfield. The defense isn't so bad at all. Too bad they didn't have a midfield working in front of them all season long.

8. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. dickmac

dickmac New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. I made a mistake assuming that Mathis was the leader. I only base my statement on watching him on the field. He was very good shouting orders and yelling at teammates. He commanded a lot of attention during the match. I took that as the sign of leadership, or an attempt at leadership. You have corrected me: it was never an attempt at leadership, it was simply bad behavior.

I hope he does well in England. I wish only the best for him.

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh.. Thanks.. Well he should be English.. :)

11. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    This leader theory is very interesting. Here's the stats,
    Not counting exhibitions, US Open
    With Howard
    5 wins
    2 loss
    4 ties
    Without Howard
    5 W
    7 L
    5 tie
    Here's where it gets interesting, though.
    With exhib/US open
    6 win
    2 loss
    4 tie
    for Howard
    Including exhibitions, US open, Non-Howard
    9 win
    8 loss
    5 tie
    I don't know the percentages, but it seems the Metros were more half wins, half losses, rather than half wins, half ties.
    But who would have been the leader in 2000 that allowed Mathis to be so good? Tab? Amman?

12. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I'm not saying that Mathis would have played any better had Howard not gone to England. I'm just saying that IMHO Howard was the heart and soul of the team.

We lost more than just a great goalkeeper.

I think the results speak for themselves.

13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This so-called "article" reads more like a press release from his agent. Let's go over the facts (which some already have):

1. He's 28 with two reconstructive knee surgeries.
    2. 4 goals in 2002.
    3. 9 goals and one paltry assist in 2003.
    4. A horrific Gold Cup performance.
    5. Red carded last year vs DC costing the Metros a playoff spot.
    6. Red carded vs NE in the 2003 US Open Cup....where the team manages to win this match and it's semifinal without him.
    7. Attacks a fan because he called him a "disgrace".
    8. Barks at the officials throughout the match.
    9. Berates his teammates for his own mistakes.
    10. Has a work ethic and an off-season training regimen that won't be confused with the likes of Jerry Rice or Roger Clemens.

If any team is actually interested in him, they obviously haven't done their homework. Sheesh, Jonny Walker talked about batteries being thrown at him in SA and "unpleasantries" being hurled at him from the crowd. How is Mathis going to handle this when he attacks some bozo for calling him a "disgrace"?

Making a European team doesn't mean he's too good for the Metros. Remember......the likes of Frankie Hejduk and Alexi Lalas have also played overseas, so I wouldn't get too exited.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    WHAT????????
    When did Clint Mathis ever attack a fan??????
    And are you sure that this fan called him a "disgrace"? Are you sure this fan didn't call Clint a "*#*#*#*#en peice of *#*#*#*# you mother*#*#*#*#en *#*#*#*#*#*#*#?"

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.
    No one, no one at all - 'anticlintoids', or just people who think he let us down this season - believes that.

16. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy there. He's a month younger than me - just about to turn 27 - and I don't need to be feeling any older than I am already.

17. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    So what. The point is he's going to hear a lot worse elsewhere. If he's that thin-skinned, he's not going to last very long overseas.

18. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Those are some pretty selective facts. I'd assume if you were trying to establish a summary of a player's soccer career, his World Cup goal might enter into the picture. But then again, if you're just trying to paint him as worthless and a detriment to the team, I can see why you'd leave that and any other positive evidence out.

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great "fact" to start with since he's 26 and turns 27 in a couple of weeks.

20. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    The real question out of all of this is who are we going to bitch about next year? These Mathis threads get out of hand.

21. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Mike Nugent? George Weah? The return of Edsucko?

Actually, the real question is what happens to this team if expansion x2 happens next year as now seems possible if not likely (Chivas and Rochester). We'd lose a good chunk of the roster to an expansion draft.

22. NYM Retros

NYM Retros Red Card

Nov 17, 2003
    Long Island
    west ham clint ! make it west ham !!