Mathis says farewell..... ?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Nov 11, 2003.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I think the "Everyone always picks on Mathis, you guys suck" line is equally as played out as the "It's all Mathis' fault" line.

For every 3 guys who blame him for how this season went, there are 2 guys who jump on those 3 for turning on him, saying that they aren't true Metro fans.

I don't blame him for this season. I am disappointed that for all of his skill and promise he under-performed this year, and then took to comments like that above, which are just moronic. How one can talk about leaving for a year and then say "I don't think a lot of these guys knew" is just naive and self-centered. It is a clear sign of immaturity. If fans, pro or anti-Mathis can't see that comment for what it is, check your blinders.

He is a good player. I am not pre-disposed to think the worst of him. He was the best offensive player in Metro history, and for that we are thankful. That said, his play and his attitude ran it's course in this town. I would gladly take back the 2000 clint, even if I could only get that attitude and not that player. Problem is, I have this attitude and this player, and that's not good enough. Many players have gone through injuries and runs of bad form with class and dignity. How many players in the history of the team went into the stands to yell at a guy? In thier last game at home no less.

Look at the following:

2000 Games played: 21 Points: 39
    2001 Games played: 10 Points: 19
    2002 Games played: 14 Points: 10
    2003 Games played: 21 Points: 19

Taken on it's own, this decline would have been palatable, but disappointing. Add the quotes, the arguing, the yelling at team members, the occassional loafing, the needless cards and ejections...it's just not the same.

If you want to blame the fans, fine. We all want the same thing, to win. I think playing great in 2000 gave him a pass on 2001/2002, especially since he missed much of both seasons with WC and injuries. He was relatively healthy all year this year, and scored half as often as in 2000-01. He, ironically, played his best this year when coming back from the hernia surgery, scoring 5 goals in 5 games early in the season. Since the Confed Cup, he scored in 1 MLS game. He said in an interview with Soccer America that if you are a striker people think you are having a bad game if you don't score. I don't think that is always the case, but never scoring certainly raises some eyebrows. Being the # 1 offensive player (striker or attacking mid) on a team that can't score is a problem, one that signing "stand by your man" can't solve, Tammy. And, importantly, while it may be true that people think you are having a bad game if you don't score, a lot of fans will think you are having a good game if you do score. People look back on the free kick vs. Honduras and say Clint was great. Yeah, in the 86th minute. For the rest of that game he was average. But he certainly took the credit and fan adoration for playing well when he scored, he has to be able to accept the other side of the coin.

I still like him, I think- when properly motivated- he is still a good player, but I think he's gotten too full of himself, and his play and the quote above are indicative of that. If you have evidence to the contrary, let's hear it.

2. NYM Retros

NYM Retros Red Card

Nov 17, 2003
    Long Island
    Dont go Clint :)

3. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    My feelings coinside with those of DJpoopiepants here. Clint hasn't shown the same level of play he had before his injury, and I think the only way he'll ever get it back is with a change of scenery. Whether he'll succeed in Europe or not, I don't know, but I don't think he'll get his game back if he stays here. Hopefully he'll not try for one of the top teams where there'll be almost no chance for him to get any playing time, but goes for a mid-table team, or possibly even a team in the second division looking for promotion (didn't Razov join a English 1st division team?). I just think the only way he's likely to get his game back is to get out of the environment he is in now.

chris...

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    He needs to go to a team with Red Bull energy drink. They might finally give him wingers. Mathis' best season came when he had Chung to spread the field. Who is the best wing mid we've had since dealing Chung? Davis? Villegas? When the opposing defense can ignore the outside mids and focus exclusively on one or two guys, no *#*#*#*# the numbers are going to go down. (and I believe Razov went to a Spanish team. Racing De Ferret or something)