Mathis played USOC Final despite illness?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by purojogo, Oct 18, 2003.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to http://www.nj.com/metrostars/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1066455204166880.xml
    “MetroStars report: Coming off a stinging 1-0 loss Wednesday in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final against Chicago, they are banged up. F Clint Mathis played Wednesday despite bronchitis, and didn't practice yesterday. He is questionable…..”
    To anyone who’s ever had bronchitis: how debilitating is it? Enough not to be playing soccer?

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fairly bad, since it affects your breathing.

But it shouldn't limit one from playing, whether it be Mathis or anyone else, as long as they take their medication for it.

My wife suffers from it, as well as her asthma, or sometimes both at once, on ocassion, and she's a bit of a wreck when she doesn't take her medication for it.

But a lot of over-the-counter treatments can help Clint (or anyone else) in this regard, so there shouldn't be any doubt as to whether or not he was fit enough to play.

3. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I was forced to play a States tourney match a few years ago in HS with bronchitis.... it really affected me especially through the second half and later stages of the match. I had much trouble keeping up with the pace of the game due to hard breathing. And this was on heavy medication.

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can vary a lot in severity and sometimes can be pretty debilitating. I've always thought of it as kind of the middle ground between a chest cold and pneumonia.

5. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    And here i thought he just had swampfoot.

6. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    It can be debilitating. My brother had it and missed two weeks of soccer. He was miserable.

7. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    If he's not 100%, he should not start. Recently, even a 100% Mathis was NOT that much better than Metros other options. Therefore, why a 80-90% Mathis started the USOC final?

8. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I am about to get out of bronchitis after struggling with breathing difficulty and low energy level for 3 weeks. The anti biotic along made me sleepy and weak.

Mathis should not play if he had bronchitis. I cannot imagine anybody is capable to run for 20 minutes with bronchitis, even he is God.

9. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    maybe he had swampa$$

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time I played with bronchitis, I was pretty much gassed after 10 minutes. If Clint had bronchitis he wasn't 80-90 percent... more like 50-60 percent.

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to bring up the same point...maybe (big maybe) he should have taken himself off the lineup....But it's really hard to guess how he was feeling, despite the way he performed Wed. I've seen worse from him even w/o any medical problems during this season....

12. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    When I had bronchitis even with heavy medication it was so bad I could barely play basketball, so I can't even imagine trying to play soccer with it.

If you haven't had it, I'll try to explain. You always feel shortwinded. You feel like you've ran 5 miles even if you've just set in a chair for an hour, at times.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like BS to me. Nothing but the politically correct way of giving this a guy an excuse. Hasn't scored since like first week of september. What has he had, cancer also??

14. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    When I read that in the article, I thought it was a diplomatic solution to having Mathis sit out the Revs game. But he played tonight, uh, so he must be better, which I read as he begged Bradley to start him.

Bradley's a sucker.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Mathis didn't have a bad game tonight. I don't think Mathis begged to get into this game because Bradley played him in the midfield.

Bradley was trying some different things. Lets see what happens next week in Foxboro.

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I knew there would be a ridiculous excuse for Wednesday. If the poor play was due to bronchitis, then what was the reason he has sucked for most of the other matches?

17. No, it can only be a precursor to pnemonia if you don't take care of it. But what the hell, pnemonia can only kill you. Often it comes with infection and a high fever. From one who suffered from it with some frequency I can tell you that it can stop you from doing anything athletic for a period of time and can get serious if you don't rest and get rid of it.

Are you a doctor or do you just play one on TV? I could tell you more but I won't because you are clearly a *#*#*#*#ing idiot.

I'm not making excuses for Mathis. Maybe it's all Metro spin to excuse a weak performance. Who knows if he really has it or not? I don't. But if he did, that he played as long as he did with it, is a credit to him.

18. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's just got a bad case of METRO PLAYOFF FEVER!

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I never pretend to be a medical expert. Or even half of one. I'm only speaking as someone who's indirectly affected-- as I've said, my wife suffers from it, and when she can't do things that she'd like to do, and because of having it, she gets very frustrated. I only know this from living with her, and I might not have all of the medical facts.

But seeing that you've suffered from it, I'll respect your opinion and your first-hand experience.

The big difference, though, from my perspective (and perhaps yours, too, to a certain extent) is that Clint Mathis, as a professional athlete, is in much better shape than any of the rest of us. Or at least he aims to get his body in that type of condition. So that makes him better equipped to deal with it than you, me, or my wife.

If the Metros' PR people were going to spin the bad performance of the team or any of its players, Clint Mathis or anyone else, I doubt they'd use bronchitis as an excuse. Would be the last thing they'd bring up, IMO.

But I agree with you completely-- provided that he did try to play with it, more power to him, especially if he (Mathis) felt that he was still fit enough to have some sort of influence on the match.

After all, it's not every day that any player gets a chance to play in a cup final, domestic or otherwise.

20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

For those of you who doubt this bronchitis story watch the tape of the game if you have it.

Right before the start of the second half the camera is on Mathis.

He's coughing, blowing his nose and spitting up mucus. Then he puts his hand to his chest.

The ref comes over and looks to be asking him if he's all right.

Mathis says something like "It's just my chest. I'm ok."