Mathis is a freak

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by el, Aug 25, 2002.

1. el

el BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 12, 1998
    Mathis needs to start concentrating on soccer and not all these other things. I hope he stops trying to live on his ONE world cup goal. Cause if he expects to go to Europe at this pace he will be very surprised. He needs to step up his game significantly if he expects teams to sign him.

2. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    eaxactly, if he keeps this pace up we will keep him, the point is for him not to goto europe

3. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
  4. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Enough folks in Europe already know what he can do. The key for Mathis is to stay injury free as he is forced to ride out his MLS imprisonment.

5. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Re: Re: Mathis is a freak

If he didn't like it, he shouldn't have signed a contract. While I understand where the players are coming from, they have to understand that this is a business. Right now, Mathis brings in too much gate to ship him off to Europe for a paltry transfer fee. Hardly anyone is drawing a large transfer right now, and Mathis shouldn't expect the league to sell him for peanuts. He'll be 27 when his contract runs out with MLS, and that's still in his prime. He should concentrate on making as big an impact in this league as he can so that when he shops himself to Euro clubs in 2004 he can point to something more current than what he did 2 years ago.

JMac

6. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    I hope that Mathis can regain his form , but if he can't I say let him go to Europe. I'm happy that he scored the gamewinner, but anybody can knock the ball in from 5 yards out(except Faria). So let's not get too giddy about him coming back to the Metros and being the "saviour" of NY/NJ soccer. If he keeps it up and regains his form than more power to him, if not, the management should know when to pull the trigger and get some money from a transfer. later.

7. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see how anyone can say anything remotely negative about this guy.

He's a finisher. If he goes to Europe it will be as a forward, where he is most effective, not attacking mid. Right now he's basically playing out of position but is still good for 3-4 brilliant through balls a game to spring Faria, Diallo or Davis. If Faria could finish a quarter of his chances no one would be complaining about Clint's play.

Mathis is God and ye who don't believe go root for DC.

8. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    I think this is my favorite quote of the day.

9. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Mathis is a freak

Two points in response:

1. Until recently, Mathis, McBride, Beasley et al did not know how stubborn MLS would be on this issue. The fallout of this shortsighted approach will mean some of the rising "stars" may skip MLS completely.

2. Mathis will sign as early as next June without any transfer fee. It thus appears the MLS has blown its chance of getting ANY fee.

10. el

el BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 12, 1998
    ok and what are the teams that are interested.Get of fit, he isnt coveted by any teams.

11. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    I'm so over Mathis.

12. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    As a DC fan, my opinion means nothing.

But... as a US fan before all else, I will weigh in.

First, Mathis at least looked slimmer than he did before the last injury. Prior to and during the WC he looked plump, and while not like he used to be, he still looks better.

He is explosive, and will get better if his fitness continues to improve. I think an off season move, meaning loan or trial or training might do him good, provided it doesnt wear him down too much, just to keep his fitness up.

Also, Mathis needs to play as a forward. Andy Williams is looking like a stud of late, and needs a bit more freedom in midfield. Play Mathis and anybody but Diallo the baby up front and you will see some goals. Free Williams up behind the strikers with Stewart, I guess, behind him. Fill in the rest with your favorite Metro.

You guys are talented, but it will take a little eye-opening to make that final push. Will OZ see it? I dont know, but at least you dont suck as bad as we (DCU) do this year.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Mathis is a freak

Outrageous of MLS to expect to get fair value for their assets. Don't they realize that they are supposed to hand their key guys so that all 100 of us die-hard junkies can follow their expoits on some dish network?

14. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I'd like to be under him

15. gatopreto

gatopreto Member

May 31, 2000
    NYC
    Blech.

16. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, as we all know, the team is called the New York/New Jersey Clint Mathises. :rolleyes:

17. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that all that's in your mouth? :(

20. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    not telling

21. RickDavis

RickDavis Member

Apr 18, 2002
    You really hate the guy don't you?

22. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I like MetroClints. Since the team is 16-0-2 when he scores, why not.

23. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Re: Re: Mathis is a freak

Idiot. They dropped the NY/NJ from the official name years ago. :D

JMac