Mathis fined - is it the right discipline?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by The Greatest, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis' career is disintegrating right in front of our eyes.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    That definitely should've been straight red. In addition to fining Mathis, the league should've fined Marrufo for being such a horrible ref.

3. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Is there something in the new CBA that might prevent MLS from punishing Mathis more severely at this point? I'm hardly defending the MLS hierarchy in this, as I agree that a suspension is warranted, but I wonder whether their hands are tied.

4. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Red card, yes, but a little premature for that declaration don't you think?

What else has he done?

5. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    I still think it was an accident too. He's completely focused on the ball after he loses it, and he goes down to try and win it back. But the ball is way too far away for him to win, and that just adds to the effect of it being such a terrible foul. As he swings his leg, Ihemelu steps in from his blind spot and unfortunately takes the full brunt of the kick.

I do agree that it was a reckless challenge (toward the player with the ball, not Ihemelu), but I don't agree that it was an intentional attack on Ihemelu.

6. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Northside, I apologize for speaking for you if this isn't what you were referring to, but I took your comment to reference:

• Crashing out of the Metrostars with a seriously underproductive latter half of the season capped off by going into the stands to confront a fan.

• Germany- tapping the watch, etc.

• The subject of this thread.

Northside, you probably weren't referring to this at all, but I'd also like to add the anecdote that Joe Franchino retaliated and made him curl up in the fetal position like a little girl during the open cup in '03.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to the "it was an accident. He didn't really mean it" school of thought.

That may be credible if you just watch this play. It is not credible if you were watching the whole game. Ugo had been physical with Mathis all night long, and Mathis was visibly upset about it. The fact that this tackle took place with three minutes left in the game and in an area where there was no real need for RSL to shut down any LAG threat just makes it clear as could be that it was a frustration retaliation. Watching it live and watching the situation develop over the course of the game, I just can't buy "this was only an accident." I might buy that Mathis got cold feet at the last second and didn't bring his second foot through because he realized what would happen if he did, but accident - nope. Nothing accidental or "mere clumsy challenge" about this - it was brewing all game and only a matter of when.

On the bright side, all RSL opponents now know how easy it is to get Clint off his game by playing him physical.

8. Teleturn

Teleturn New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salt Lake City
    As the video starts, you'll notice that Mathis is picking himself off the ground.

He was hammered at the top of the box in what was a pretty bad non-call.

Retaliation should not be tolerated. I think the yellow was fair given the severity of the challenge and the fine appropriate for retaliation.

Mathis should look at how often Beasley and Martino get hammered before he starts feeling frustrated.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if it was a red or not, but I HATE this line of reasoning. If Mathis was this important to the team he knows it, and the coach knows it, so Mathis should have kept his head and/or been pulled before he committed the foul. He made the play, if it's a red he sits the next game, period. No "star" exceptions, no "home opener" exceptions, nada. Of course I am biased in this one, as it's the Rapids who would be getting the benefit of Mathis sitting, but I'd probably say the same thing even if it were the Wizards or something.

The only time I've supported a exception in MLS was a few years ago when a San Jose player picked up a third yellow in 3 games and was scheduled to sit the next week in LA. The next game would have been his father's last chance to see him live, as he was dieing from cancer. The league, SJ, and LA came to an agreement that the player would play the next week and sit out the next SJ-LA matchup.

10. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    We all know that he has had a colorful past and he's more or less starting over with RSL. I was talking about this season. Unless Northside was referring to him not being on the MNT latest call-up.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much lately. That's the problem.

Zappa was right, that's what I was referring to. He didn't do much against LA, got kicked out of the US camp a few weeks ago.

He still hasn't learned anything from his crash out in Germany. His talent took him so far - into WC 2002, since then it's his professionalism that has suffered and his game along with it.

Compare that to Eddie Johnson and what he's done since he started maturing and acting like a professional.

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a straight red card, absolutely no question, and it would be a 3 match ban in most leagues. I don't want to hear any more excuses, please.

13. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Straight red retaliation foul that is unacceptable at any level of play. Anyone who thinks the ref got that one right -

I'd like to welcome you as you have just been accepted into the esteemed Jair Marrufo school of crap officiating. :p

14. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

He's definitely not off to a good start this year.

15. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's not like it worked on Ponte or anything.

16. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    What I would love to see, a club stand up and say "you're not playing." This punishment is pretty soft from MLS, but a good club would give Mathis their own discipline, the discipline he deserves, which is to miss a game or two.

Simply unacceptable, and one day a MLS club will hold its players to higher standards than the league holds the players.