Mathis fined - is it the right discipline?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by The Greatest, Apr 14, 2005.

1. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
  2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I don't know what else to say. All I know is that Alan Hopkins was right on the money. That should have been an automatic redcard. Too much deference given to "star" players.

3. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I just saw the video. How was that not a red card?

4. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way in hell thats a yellow card.

That should've been a straight red. Disgraceful.

5. Toejam Football

Toejam Football New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Columbus,OH
    You're referring to this Saturday's game being Real's inaugural HOME game, right?

By right, Mathis should not only be out for the home opener, but an additional match as well.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible, terrible foul.

Cletus better watch his back the next time they play LA.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They're protecting RSL's home opener.

I'm really guessing that Jair (two yellows but no ejection to Brandon Prideaux in 2003) Marrufo really has to be running out of second chances to referee in MLS.

But even though Marrufo didn't have the guts to red card Mathis, the MLS disciplinary committee should've banned him for two or three games.

8. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can somebody explain the MLS discipline system to me. I know how the EPL system works and I'd think that foul would get a 3 game ban after what should have been a straight red. Does the fact that the idiot ref only gave a yellow limit the punishment to a fine?

9. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    I'm torn. I know that a red card is the absolute correct decision but the Mathis apologist in me knows that the last thing Clint Mathis needs is to have his head screwed up even more by suspensions and benching.

It makes me sad that such talent is possessed by such an immature idiot.

10. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Are fewer people going to show up for the opener because he's suspended? I don't think so. I say suspend him. Maybe it'll add to his bad-boy mystique in SLC and more people than otherwise would will show up later to his home opener.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'll make a franchise opener exception. Hate to do it, but with Williams already down and Kamler/O'Brien struggling in the middle, RSL needs Mathis there. MLS needs Mathis there for RSL. Years from now it won't make a big difference, but it's important enough to chalk that one up to him just being Mathis. There's gotta be a limit sometime, but I'll let this ONE go.

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight red, no doubt. I love the "I'm sorry" he puts up as the ref raises the yellow.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    That didn't take long. :rolleyes:

14. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    read my mind....

15. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    it was a classic instance of retaliation, following a play where mathis thought he got fouled but didn't get the call. it was pretty vicious and from behind. only a fine is letting him off very, very easy....

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you say "Marufo" (sp?)

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The non-Mathis apologist in me says, "Who the h*ll cares what Clint Mathis needs?" This kind of star coddling (read "Jordan Rules") where a star attacks a rookie, just encourges this kind of behavior. MLS is an enabler.

18. andythemick

andythemick New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    louisville, ky
    I know that this is going to get slammed, but I think Marrufo might have made the right decision. I'm far from a Mathis apologizer, and I know he has done some ridiculous things over the years, but if you look at it again, he never did bring his second leg through, apologized even before the card came out, and quickly moved to check on Ihemelu. I'm not saying it wasn't reatalliation, but it very easily could have just been a typically clumsy challenge by a forward. Flame away.

19. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad he couldn't have done something similar to this and broken Donovan's ankle (Ponte, you're off the clock and off the hook).

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Ban him from drinking Coca-Cola....that'll really hurt him where it counts...

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just about to say the exact same thing. I don't think he meant to do it. As he was lunging for the ball, the ball took a weird bounce and went the opposite direction, away from Mathis; then the fouled player was there. Clint did not follow through with the second leg. I thought this when I saw it while watching the game happening live; I still think this while watching replays. Mathis had the opportunity to do some real damage with the follow-through leg but he didn't. I think it surprised him when the ball bounced the way it did. It was an unlucky event on Mathis' part. I don't think he had any malice at all. People are just real quick to say he's a head case.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May this comment come back to haunt you.

23. clevemlsfan

clevemlsfan New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Liten, this like all PROFESSIONAL Sports is a ENTERTAINMENT venture.

So although it deserved a red card, why not let him appeal like the other sports which would only delay the punishment, he plays in the HOME opener (if i was a RSL ticket holder i would WANT TO SEE HIM PLAY).

Then he loses the appeal and serves it Away on the road.

24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds almost........cynical. :D

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then why don't we just fix the game, so that RSL wins their home opener on a 90th minute goal? That'll keep the fans coming back...