Pre-match: Matchweek ?; Aston Villa v. Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Aston Villa v. Chelsea
    June 21, 2020
    11:15AM EST
    Villa Park, Birmingham

First game back. Will be interesting. Form out the window, home-field advantage out the window? I think this will be on NBC Sports in the US.

We seem pretty healthy right now. Likely missing Kante for the rest of the season. Interesting to see who Lampard picks for the midfield mix. Will Gilmour be involved or will we see Jorginho-Kova-Barkley?

lobomojo repped this.
  2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A healthy Tammy and Pul should be exciting.

I am more worried about our Road advantage, no fans at home can only be a plus this season.

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is this that big of a deal? I thought the team looked better when Kante was not in the side than it did with him, back when football was a thing.

It isn't a knock on Ngolo or on Frank, I think they are both pretty damned good at what they do. I just wonder is this a case of not a good fit? Does Ngolo fit with the way Frank wants to play?

I know Ngolo is all world when he is fit and in form, he has not looked to be all that for CFC? Do you guys think that is due to fitness and form, or is it a system thing where Frank's set-up does not take advantage of the things that Ngolo does so well?

4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's been run into the ground since he broke onto the scene. Hoping rest helps him out.

Mostly looking forward to seeing RLC back in action.

Yahtzee repped this.
  5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Forgot about Ruben. Not sure he's ready to start right away, but if we're winning in the 2nd half, it would be nice to see him.

6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, doubt he's match fit, but honestly, who the hell is?

I just want to see him out there.

7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Playing a friendly v. QPR this week. Not sure of details. Doubt it will be televised.

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kante was hurt last spring, after a year of injuries never quite healed, then pushed to play regardless in Cup and hurt more, and between us and International duty pushed and hurt more without any real rest or recovery time for a couple plus years. In just this way, this "break" and extra time now given him by the Club has been and is a blessing for his health. Think he will finally start next season fresh and rejuvenated.

And I don't entirely agree with Frank on his use either though Kante seems to prefer a more forward box to box role. I still prefer him in a Mak roll, which I think would allow both for our present lb's to be themselves and be less exposed and cover our CB's, not named Rudiger, lack of experience and learning boo-boo's.

Though I also see the advantage of Kante being high up for a quick hard high deep press, has won a lot of balls there for Lamp and Sarri as well.

9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sums it up nicely.

Our defense has continued to be extremely frail under both managers which is something I hope Frank recognizes though I'm sure he does and just places more value in having the extra attacking mid which is debatable.

Something along the lines of ..

Ruben----Kov
    ------Kante

.. could prove devastating. Gives us both defensive cover as far as our backline is concerned and also lets Ruben and Kov more attacking freedom.

lobomojo repped this.
  10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First game back is on my dirty 30. Please make it a great day with a win in this COVID world.

Yahtzee, Ninjatend0 and lobomojo repped this.
  11. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Cheers! Lots of folks will tell you its all downhill from here, but who wants to spend the rest of their life going uphill?

truefan420 and lobomojo repped this.
  12. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    just coast the rest of the way.

13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey, at least you know your age without thinking about it. I'm at the point where I have to remember the year and work out my age from there. On good days I even come up with the correct answer!

FWIW kante is back in training and may yet feature in the congested run in.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am 38 and legitimately have to think about if I'm 38 or 39 regularly. I sometimes get it wrong. Sometimes I get it right.

Brock Hannsen and truefan420 repped this.
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m trying to decide if it’s too early for a glass of Scotch. It’s gonna be 930 am PST. lol well if the rest of this year plays out like I hope so it will actually be a hell of a way to start 30.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahah that’s usually how I am but 30 is a big one. Won’t have that again until 50.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when I was still 19 I had a fake ID that said I was 22. Shit was widely confusing whenever I’d go thru the airport. I’d spaz out on my age take a legit minute to sort it out in my head.

18. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Huge if true.

The remainder of this season has a lot of good narratives to follow, but Kante is one I'll have my eye on the most. Is he still the world-wrecking force he needs to be to justify being the top earner at the club? If not, or if he struggles to even get on the pitch, I can see us trying to cash out on him.

We don't have a direct replacement for him, but its getting crowded in the middle for us, and there are lots of good experienced and young options around. And honestly, how many direct replacements for him even exist? Most teams don't play with a midfielder like him because of how few of them there are.

19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very huge. And true.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation...s-mind-joins-chelsea-training#the-man-himself

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Shit, things got better for me when I turned 30.

truefan420 repped this.
  21. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    "Things" overall, yeah I agree.

My physical condition overall? Not so much...

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hangovers have been down hill for a few years now. Physically tho, I’m getting back into better shape (not in bad shape just not in playing shaping).

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So weird to have season back.

24. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004