Matchstick Men

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by fidlerre, Oct 8, 2003.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Anyone seen Matchstick Men with Nic Cage?

I saw this movie the other night after not hearing a lot about it <friends had wanted to see it and I tagged along> and thought it was a great movie. I have never read the novel so I cannot compare the two but I still thought the movie was really good.

Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it looks entertaining, but I just can't bring myself to see a movie with Nic Cage in it, America's Worst Ever Actor.
    I'll read the book and let you know, though. :)

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: Matchstick Men

I enjoyed it despite the Actor Formerly Known As Nicholas Coppola. He has become the male equivalent of Meg Ryan, playing pretty much the same character in multiple movies, but he does it well here. Sam Rockwell balance him out and Allison Lohman does well too.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Re: Re: Matchstick Men

yea i really thought that allison lohman did a great job with her character, of course it shocked the living crap out of me when i looked her up on IMDB and found out she is actually 24 years old in real life...

consider me one of the few who kinda enjoys nicolas cage...i certainly don't think he is america's worst actor, there are far worse actor's in hollywood who take themselves far too seriously considering their lack of true talent. but hey, to each their own.

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Don't get me wrong, Nic Cage is a fine actor, and he plays his character in Matchstick Men really well. The problem for me is that I've seen him play that character before in other movies, and as someone who pays $10 to see movies, I hate seeing things I've already seen before.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Matchstick Men

that's actually a pretty good review because that's the thing I hate most about him -- he plays the same character in every movie (he always has that one scene where he freaks out, gets bug-eyed and tries to spit out his lines) ..... but he was tolerable in the rock. so who knows? maybe i'll give it a shot.

of course, meg ryan is breakin' the mold by gettin' nekkid and nasty in her latest.