Matches and News in Germany's journey in Euros [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Fussballer76, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, he went for as much money as he could get, for whatever purpose.

Let's change topic: There's been a ridiculous wave of pessimistic articles and "concerned" or "downplaying" interviews in the German press about Euro 2008 recently. I think that's completely unfounded as nothing has changed for now (so maybe Metzelder will miss the tournament; he was a weak link anyway), I now hope they'll find the motivation that has lacked recently to thrash Austria emphatically.

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well it's better to have those articles than overconfident articles.

Best would be no articles at all though, but these ones at least will help them motivate themselves. Not that I think it's needed, because the last few games were a part of the plan to mentally switch off anyway.

Oh, and Metzelder is doing his usual pre tournament routine. He'll be ready and present right on time.

3. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

So let's turn back time to 1954...;)

Btw: Do you like these guys? :)

CLICK 1

CLICK 2

4. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The spokesmen of the team, Ballack, Lehmann, Klose and Schneider took part in the talks so they surely had an input but I don't know if they requested that much money.

5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do we care? Seriously guys professional football is a business. This is not a game that is played simply for fun. It is their job. If you are very good at your job, you have every right to ask for more money. I see nothing wrong with wanting to increase your income.

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    In the book, Tor, there is a good section on the 74 team trying to get a better deal. IIRC, this was while the tournament was going on. Someone correct me on that if that point is not correct.

7. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now that you say it I remember that story well. The players were also housed in an infamously spartanic training facility in Malente rather than five star hotels...But these players weren't really wealthy (wasn't Beckenbauer the first to do a TV spot?), so they would "need" it more.

8. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactely. I dont have the slightest problem with those guys making a lot of money. After all they have a lot of responsibility, sometimes they play for a whole nation. If one of these players makes a mistake or maybe just doesn't manage to score or save a shot he does it in front of millions, disappoints millions and might get blamed by a whole country. Its not only the skills, it is also about dealing with enormous pressure, sometimes enormous and unfair critique, hate and additionally they represent a country, just like politicians. And still a lot of managers who don't do that much earn more than most football players. So let them be millonairs, anyone who thinks it is too much money should try to do what they do. :D

9. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My question is, what do they need the extra money for?

It's a reflection on the person if they want the money "just because" they can have it because they're in a business which generates a lot, or because they're under so much scrutiny that they feel they can offset that with extra money.

Unless this extra money goes straight to your massive extended family who are not doing well, or goes straight to charity or something, it's not a good reflection on the psyche of the player.

A healthy mindset is just to have enough money to live comfortably, without being too materialistic and making things complicated. And a bit left over for emergencies.

But I mean that's actually more than enough with a basic footballer's salary isn't it?

That is why I am not on the "who cares" brigade. Just because you're entitled to more money, you don't have to go get it.

10. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Watch Free to Choose by Milton Friedman (CLICK), that'll streamline your thinking regarding capitalism. :D:(

Edit: Do not actually waste your time following that link...point is, what you say sounds rather "outlandish" in the modern world.

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Economics don't mean a thing dirk, I am just talking about a person's attitude.

It is healthy to be able to impose a limit on yourself at the place where I said. Advancement is not materialstic or monetary advancement.

Why do you think people can become airheads or just plain empty and corrupted.

12. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kudos to your idealism but would you really decline the money if you can get it? I wouldn't. As long as these guys are still willing to break their legs to win the WC or EM, as long as I see players crying out of joy or sadness on the pitch its still about the game and not the money. I am sure none of these players became a football player because he wanted to earn a shitload of money but because he wanted to play for a great team, win cups and titles, become a hero or even part of football history. Of course there are players who are happy to earn a decent salery and play in a decent team because they know they don't have the talent to go further. But if you are one of the best it certainly is not about money in the first place at some point because you know you can go further. But if you can earn a good deal with what you do and with adverts and stuff like that, why not? As long as it does not become the focus of all things. If you would tell any of these players, hey, you turn down the 300 000 Euros and that means you will be European Champion, I highly doubt any of them would take the money.

In the end this is how the world is now. Some people earn so much money it is just out of scale. And I can't expect of football players to sell themselves below their worths. For example, you can't expect anyone to be the main Adidas face in Europe and give this selling potential away for free. There is so much money involved in the machinery they've got to get their share. I would want to get mine as well.

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would stick to principles.

I'd say "Ok, I have enough to live comfortably by normal standards, and some left over for any emergency, so I don't need this money, thanks". I would actually say that. It's about feeling good because you stick to your clearly defined principles, which have come about because internally you've understood all the good in them.

If I had a relative requiring constant medical attention at big hospitals then I might say "Ok, I'll accept the money".

Otherwise, why would you want the money?

14. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mate, let me say that is an honourable yet rare character trade. You know what? I think it's the Kiwi thing (is Kiwi pc? Don't know whats insulting sometimes ;)). I guy whom I worked with who lived and worked in NZ for two years told me he felt that most people in NZ seemed to find it easier to be happy with what they got compared to most other nations. Just guessing, but of you live in a beautiful and pure (compared to the rest of the world) country like NZ I'd probably be happy with just what I need as well. However, football players live in such a different world that would simply exploit pleople who would stick to their principles and don't claim what they are worth so I guess it is hard to apply it on them. Hell, you would need to be a saint to reject all that money in that business.

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kiwi is PC.

I don't know if it's a kiwi thing or not (I've only lived here 9 years anyway), because I think anyone can personally define what they want to be like. It's a clarity and happiness that has been derived from within, that makes you stick to your principles. This goes deeper than what you can get as a result of an environment as you implied.

So, even in the footballers' world where you would get "exploited" if you don't claim what you're worth, you can still stick to your principles because you don't feel "exploited" by not getting the cash in the first place do you?

And the guys negotiating *might* get it as well and might consider you beyond manipulation of any sort.

16. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know what you mean but sadly that is a kind of idealism that probably does not work in certain environments anymore nowadays. :(

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is more a comment in hindsight than saying that it can't, because it certainly can if your convictions are strong.

18. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess if they are strong enough to blend out the image of the money guys rubbing their hands behind your back... ;)
    In the end I don't see any harm in earning all that money as long as it does not corrupt you. Withstanding that temptation is probably as hard and honourable as sticking to the principle of only taking as much as you need.

But now I need to interrupt the little philosophical discussion because I need to sleep. Good night! :D

19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course. If you insist that I have the money, I can take it and put it in a box and leave it there and it'd do nothing to my psyche, because the principles that allowed me to unaffected by it hence reject it are still there.

Meaning that taking it and not being corrupted by it means that you have the ability to reject it in the first place.

But a player who doesn't have those principles will get hot under the collar/mind spinning, take the box due to temptation or whatever and increasingly become corrupted and dislikeable - Intrinsically linked.

Zat is ze whole point.

20. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So considering the fact that most players have taken the box but still give everything on the pitch and cry over defeats and victories have done pretty well in the withstanding corruption department. I think for me the dislike starts as soon as there is decadency involved. I have no problem with them earning all that money, having a big nice house, some cars, going on a fine holiday once a year, taking care of family and friends but there are certain players who overdo it. But that's their lifes. Maybe its just jealousy, I am not sure.
    I also think its a decent thing to save the money, take what you need to live a comfortable life, so you don't need to worry for you future. Because after all you play until you are 35-40, some retire even earlier and you never know what you get to do afterwards.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup I agree with everything you said in that paragraph, and it's the decadency that's bad.

Of course, there can be deeper definitions of the same word, but, you're on the right track.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for the rep. I tried to you rep you back but it says I must spread rep around before repping you again, even though I didn't rep you before.

Good meaningful conversation there, that came from absolutely nowhere.

23. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I gave up long ago to understand the repping system. :D Thanks anyway, I appriciate the intention. :)

24. Caged Wisdom

Caged Wisdom New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Canada
    To give updates I was reading some history, and I still don't know much but my favourite club teams are Bayern, and Inter. I like Inter because they used to play Catennacio (from what I read) and I admire catennacio a lot. My favourite national team is of course Germany, and Canada :). Just to give you guys some insight about my other favourite sports teams, my favourite hockey teams are the Toronto Maple Leafs, New Jersey Devils, and the Ottawa Senators. My favourite American football teams are the Packers, and Patriots, while my favourite baseball teams are the New York Yankees, and Toronto Blue Jays. My favourite basketball teams are the Toronto Raptors, and the Boston Celtics.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh I think that was before the tournament right in the leadup and schoen thought seriously about calling up a whole new set of players as it didn't look like being settled.