Matchday Thread | GROUP F

Discussion in 'Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who Will Advance.

1. Argentina

85.1%
  2. Bosnia and Herzegovina

55.3%
  3. Iran

20.2%
  4. Nigeria

29.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Argentina 1 Bosnia and Herzegovina 2.

3. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    3-1

Argentina.

4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Even though I like Garay/Perez/Maxi/Di Maria and the retired Zanetti, I want B&H to do well and go through (will take a draw).

bosna10 repped this.
  5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• The Bosnians have lost their two previous matches against Argentina, both friendlies, without scoring.
    • A Gabriel Batistuta hat-trick helped the Argentines win 5-0 in Cordoba in 1998 - a result which remains Bosnia's heaviest defeat in international football.
    • The other meeting was in November last year when Sergio Aguero netted both goals in the US city of St Louis.
    Argentina

• Argentina have only won two of their last nine World Cup games against European sides (D4, L3 - with penalty shoot-outs counted as draws).
    • However, they have won won nine of their last 12 group games (D2, L1) at the tournament, scoring 24 goals and conceding just four times. Their only defeat in that sequence was against England in 2002.
    • Lionel Messi has only scored one goal in 571 minutes of World Cup football - against Serbia and Montenegro in 2006. He has found the net with one of 31 shots.
    • Argentina scored 35 times in World Cup qualifying - only Germany (36) managed more goals.
    Bosnia-Hercegovina

• They are the only debutants at the 2014 World Cup. The last debutants to win their first World Cup match was Senegal against France in 2002.
    • The Bosnians scored eight headed goals in qualifying - no European side managed more. Those headed goals were shared between Edin Dzeko and Vedad Ibisevic (four each).
    • Dzeko scored 10 times overall in qualifying, while Ibisevic hit eight goals. Robin van Persie (11) was the only European striker with a better record.
    • Zvjezdan Misimovic created more chances in qualifying (30) than any other Bosnian, including four assists.

puyol, bosna10 and Cariverplate246 repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    However, they are unbeaten against former Yugoslavian republics since the breakup, including wins over Croatia and Serbia at the World Cup, the later by a six goal margin.

jerrito repped this.
  7. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Also, all the games were outside the Americas and particularly South America.

8. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Difficult to lump all European sides together. Clearly Bosnia are not Germany 2010 or England 2002

9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looking forward to seeing Kun and Di Maria. Stars have been showing up and Benz has just scored two. Think Messi will show up, hope everyone shows up.

10. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ESPN playing a piece about Bosnia. Bosnia rains/flooding was crazy 3 months worth of rain in 3 days!

I was wondering the players said Bosnia qualification united the entire nation all 3 ethnic groups that everybody is behind the team regardless I hope that is true.

11. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The team who I picked to win the WC are playing Argentina.

12. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    I want to see more surprises in this world cup.

13. 1stYearCoach

1stYearCoach Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have a 2-0 win for Argentina. Could be a very exciting game.

14. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    A win for Argentina but i support the underdog.

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, really looking forward to Argentina vs. Bosnia.... should be a great game - lot's of attacking talent on hand... but I say 3-1 Argentina, but both teams to progress from this group, and after watching group E - perhaps the quarterfinals and beyond...

16. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    I don't see Argentina winning this world cup, i think Messi has passed his best. He is still good though.

17. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Enough of the Messi psychology and psycho-babble. Just let Messi be Messi

locoxriver repped this.
  18. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ronaldo is clearly the best player in the world there is no longer a debate. But past his prime at 27 really?? I think Barca has declined and hence Messi has been affected by that but talent wise and skill wise he is no worse then let's say 2010.

19. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Meanwhile Neymar has scored two goals in exactly 71 minutes of World Cup football... double Messi's number, and minus 500 minutes... interesting stat. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, with Argentina's group being rather easy, I don't see Messi's drought continuing. This is his opportunity to score a lot. Argentina should win this group very easily (although this particular game today might prove to be a bit more difficult for them; we'll see).

What has been happening to Argentina in the last 21 years of major tournaments is that a hot start doesn't guarantee longevity. It's when they get to the likes of Germany that they stumble, so, Argentina decimating their group opponents once more, won't impress me a lot. It's after the group stage that we'll have a clear vision of their mettle. I don't exclude a run to the final, but I don't exclude a bad crash once they face a really dangerous team in the knock-out stage.

I'm very curious to see what happens tonight. Bosnia is a decent team so this should be highly entertaining.

I'm rooting for Bosnia, obviously, but I don't think it will matter a lot if they lose to Argentina tonight (even if they lose by a landslide), given that if it's not complete over-hype, they should have what it takes to get passed Iran and Nigeria. Iran is supposed to be one of the weakest teams in this World Cup, and Nigeria didn't impress me in their friendly loss to the United States, while Bosnia was very impressive in their friendlies (and in Qualifiers). I don't see Bosnia losing to Nigeria.

20. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Messi is like Micheal owen and other quick players. He will become a good attacker but not the best once he loses his pace. I personally think he is heading for a decline now.

21. Nemuro

Nemuro New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    Real Sociedad de Fútbol
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rooting for Bosnia.

Just because.

Not waiting for a victory though. Only hoping they're not utterly embarrassed out there in the field.

22. kakuen

kakuen Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Me too, one sided match is boring and not fun at all.

23. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentina wins 3-1.

Go, Messi!

24. 1stYearCoach