Matchday Thread | GROUP D

Discussion in 'Group D: Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica, England' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Who Will Advance.

1. Uruguay

47.2%
  2. Costa Rica

35.8%
  3. England

32.5%
  4. Italy

71.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes hence I never said Italy is going to win it but the fact is scoreline still 0-0 at the time.

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Every goalkeeper does that in every matches, chances never equal goals. Also, I'm talking about Suarez deserve being punished not saying which team deserve to win.

3. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks, that's painfully obvious. What is also obvious is that being a man down has a huge impact on a game. Not to mention, the goal came so soon after the incident that it suggest the Italian defense was distracted. I'm not necessarily saying Italy would have won or should have won, but that doesn't make it okay either. Plus, Suarez getting a red card extends beyond the game with Italy. Other players shouldn't have to be subjected to his disgusting antics and, most importantly, he needs to be punished in order to truly feel like he let down his nation and team.

jerrito repped this.
  4. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    It was more accidental than intentional so it could have been a yellow card. But regardless of the gradation and interpretation the ref is entitled to, what makes it unfair is the fact that what Suarez did is infinitely worse and didn't even deserve a yellow card; which makes the red card given to Italy unfair.

radjedi repped this.
  5. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiellini is a bitch. Suarez deserved a red but the ref obviously missed the bite, so what's he going to do? Say "oh my bad you have a bite mark. The only thing that can cause bite marks is Luis Suarez so Ima send him off"? I agree that it was a despicable act and should be punished but the way Chiellini reacted by trying to produce some kind of primary evidence didn't make me feel any sympathy for him at all.

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Good news - Italy has filed an official complaint and FIFA has opened an investigation. The Disciplinary Committee will meet tomorrow, Wednesday, to consider the evidence. Even though the ref didn't do anything, FIFA will take TV images and photographs as evidence. If found guilty, Suarez will have, according to the rules of the competition, up to a 3-match ban, but this can be increased as requested by Italy, based on the fact that the conduct was intentionally violent. Also, a fine of 50,000 Swiss francs is anticipated.

The reference below is in Portuguese by my paragraph above contains everything that is important in the article.

http://www.mg.superesportes.com.br/...abre-investigacao-por-mordida-de-suarez.shtml

Rattlehead and Ed-D repped this.
  7. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Aces High posted the best shot I've seen of the bite in the "Is Suarez a Zombie?" thread.

[​IMG]

Based on this footage, I think the investigation will be pretty open and shut.

Rattlehead repped this.
  8. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Even a 3 match ban isn't enough considering his history. I know his previous biting incidents (never thought I'd utter that kind of phrase about a grown man) have been on a club level, but they should still count. If anything, banning him didn't seem to deter him from doing it again, so there should be additional consequences. While his actions were ridiculous, it's in FIFA's hands now to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Rattlehead and jerrito repped this.
  9. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its too bad this happened. i was hoping to face Uruguay at full strength. if he does get suspended.

although, it certainly helps Colombias cause thia saturday.

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I hope this will be seen by FIFA's disciplinary committee. Is this something that got published by some sort of reliable, mainstream medium?

11. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's kind of sick to hope for the guy to continue playing in this tournament after what he did.

Just consider Falcao and call it an even match.

Rattlehead and futbol in Miami repped this.
  13. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    DutchLion repped this.
  14. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I am all for punishing Suarez

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    if he gets banned and hands Colombia an advantage

Tabarez, Lugano and the rest of Uruguay can blame Suarez

16. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fair enough. I agree that Italy might have been knocked out regardless (and truthfully, with the exception of the biting incident, I have no sympathy towards the Italian team so I'm definitely not here to defend them). It's just such an ugly win for Uruguay and I personally wouldn't be proud of it at all. There was no reason it had to come to this.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'll believe it was accidental when you get the Easter Bunny to tell me so.

Pipiolo and guri repped this.
  18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is a clear difference in being able to anticipate where the ball is going, the ability to make clean tackles as opposed to resorting to pulling on shirts, trips and hacks.

That is not defending that is cheating something people like Gentile was a master at whereas Baresi was a true defender.

As for Chiellini what about his two attempts to con the referee ? Clutching his face pretending he had been elbowed at a corner in one instance. That too is cheating but also gets glossed over.

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are right Guri. Only Brazil the spiritual home of football, the only country that plays football the right way (see Copa 2007 final for evidence), the country that created everything in football (forget Argentina and Uruguay) is above suspicion.

Fred just had a quick touch of Menieres when he fell in the box against Croatia. Poor lamb. Or Thiago stamping on Chicharito's foot and escaping a red. Can't think why. Chile will need to be on their best behaviour and make sure they don't put any challenges in.....

Pipiolo repped this.
  20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Thanks for admitting that you are incapable of refuting the post and that, by extension, your original post was both incorrect and stupid.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Uruguay simply benefited from Italy's clear failings in the final third. As I have said before they seriously lack quality at #9, #10 and lack any creativity in midfield bar Pirlo. Thus their defensive game becomes more important. By contrast Uruguay have been defensively erratic throughout the tournament.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Italy were comfortably going through until Uruguay exploited the chaos in the immediate aftermath of the bite. Uruguay barely threatened Buffon throughout despite the man advantage.

jerrito repped this.
  23. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    There was no chaos. Italy failed to defend a standard set piece.

I wanted to see Italy do well, mainly for Pirlo's sake, but they were not impressive in this tournament. They were lucky to beat a poor English side. Thought Gerrad had an uncalled pk and England were better overall. Italy didn't impress in any of their matches.

As for the Suarez chomp, would somebody please think of the children?! A one match suspension will do.

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It should be at least for the rest of this tournament. I mean, it's the third time he did this! not once or twice! Not to mentioned his racial taunt againts Evra.

25. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    The Easter Bunny, having a German Lutheran origin, is notorious for being biased in favor of Northern Europeans rather than the Mediterranean kind, so, he can't be trusted with this. You need to ask the Befana, the Badalisc, the Wolf of Gubbio, or the Giufà, and all four will confirm to you that it was accidental.