PBP: Matchday ONE!!1!!: ATL @ NSH

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Feb 28, 2020.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville Headphones vs. Atlanta Five/Nine Stripes
    日産 Stadium - Nashville
    February 29 - 8:00 P.M. ET
    FOX

Looking forward to GunnerJacket's game preview, but for now here's a space where we can talk about the game.

I will be driving to Virginia that day, so my plan is to leave early enough in the morning where I can watch the game on the telly when I arrive. If I didn't have to work, I'd totally be driving to Nashvegas instead. How many BS-ers are going to be in Tennessee that day? The Headphones have a pretty decent expansion roster, but even our makeshift CCL lineup should beat them handily. Home openers, especially for new teams, tend to have a weird vibe about them, though, so who knows? Atlanta lost ours to RBNY, so let's return that favor, shall we?

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We've never won a season opener. Not even draw blood in game one.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did score against RBNY. The other two were on the road, though. And we got beat. down. both times. So, we're due to win a season opener!

On the other hand, we're undefeated in first games against expansion teams.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Preview coming tonight. Currently shopping for AUFC gear suitable for 40' temps.

SabreKhan repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Props on "the headphones".

I may be there, as it looks like tix will be sold even tomorrow. It's not a decision I have to make until early tomorrow PM.

It might be high 30s by gametime, low toward the end. Someone mentioned 20s a few days ago, but I don't think it's going to be

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Snagged a ticket! I'm in 307, FWIW.

Best description I can give of myself (GJ's already met me) that we all know is that I look just a bit like our own Orlando Trustfull. I'm older than him but I have less grey in the beard.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a new decade!

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We drew first blood against RB:NY at Grant Field. Lost 1-2.

Very cool, and might see you there. We're in 305 or 306.

Really hope to see an impressive number of Stripes faithful there.
    You're the handsome one, right? I'll be the one in the Atlanta United gear! Can't miss me!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We scored first v. Cincy last season, too (before they equalized at the death), but I can't recall whether it was our first game or not.

I suspect that the Nashville crowd will be gracious about us being spread out all over the stadium. I really don't think they're going to be there in MBS-like numbers anyway.

I certainly think so! Others may disagree...

I'll be on the lookout for a dude in red...

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Okay, campers. Playtime is over. From now on the s*** gets real. Let's do this!

AJC.com United home page here.
    MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.

The story line for this match is presumably strength vs. strength. Not wanting to emulate FC Cincy's record breaking futility last year Nashville has gone not only with more MLS veterans but with an eye toward defense and their spine. As a result their roster will teem with names familiar to MLS faithful - Godoy, Mukhtar, Accam, Badji - and most of the better ones will be aligned down the center of the field. The big name get was Walker Zimmerman, a USMNT player at central defense and starter with LAFC last season. He's solid (and currently in the way of Miles Robinson getting more PT with the national side) but he also joined the team just as preseason was kicking off.

NSC did well in a preseason against mostly MLS opponents, and while the "star power" in Miami has pundits suggesting the Fightin' Flamingos will fare better as an expansion side this season consensus feels NSC will be competitive. (Being in the Western Conference this year, however, might make for interesting results depending on how the traveling works out.) If true it will likely come by being stern enough in their own third to keep opponents frustrated long enough for the Nash-attack to find a goal or two. They'll need that because with Badji and Accam as their foremost scoring threats historical stats suggest that's only good for 30 goals next season. What will hurt that attack is the offensive midfielders appear to be the positions still being sorted out. Unless, of course, Dax McCarty becomes a latter day Diego Valeri...

So unless they take a go-for-broke approach on their MLS debut look for NSC to play a compact defense to help shield veteran keeper Willis (he of the 1.3 GAA the past 2 seasons) and strive to keep Team Soundwave in the game as long as possible. Zimmerman will direct traffic while someone likely man marks Pity in an attempt to force Atlanta into a long-ball approach feeding Josef. Can they high-press like other teams that have cause headaches for Atlanta in the past? Possibly, but the lineup and past press clippings suggest NSC doesn't want to stretch the field and create space for Hyndman and Barco to exploit.

For the Five Stripes it will be about getting the season off to a strong start and putting their road woes behind them. FdB has already implied this is an aim for the season and the veterans like Guzan and Larentowicz have echoed the sentiment. Blurbs this week sound confident, if not overly so. Yes they had the midweek affair but that was local and likely kept the team focused. Josef and Hyndman have already suggested the lads are thrilled to be the spotlight match for the first MLS matchday of 2020, and to be in front of the large crowd. At least in that sense we know they won't be intimidated.

The key as I see it will be working on the possessive transition from the back 4-5 to the attack. Field conditions in Motagua made that a muddy affair, and players getting used to each other hampered the smoothness of this aspect in both CCL matches. Miscommunication on passes, players not quite filling the right spaces, and ultimately a lot of the better plays having to come via someone making a run past 2-3 more players than normally desired. Atlanta can get away with that now and again but were at their best the past 3 seasons when movement without the ball found new spaces and gave the likes of Josef and Almiron room to attack 1 v 1.

I'm in agreement with Roberson about the projected lineup, putting Larentowicz in for Remedi and keeping Mulraney on the left. Jeff should provide a steadying force in front of Meza and allow Hyndman to push further upfield, while Lennon and Mulraney will be told to run their older counterparts ragged and force NSC to cover a LOT of the field, freeing space for Pity and Barco to do their thing. Stats suggest those two did well with their crosses last time out and hopefully that keeps getting better.

A lot of unknowns in this match up and we all know how special home-field conditions can turn the story line upside down. For now I'm thinking the moves made thus far are paying off for Atlanta, at least well enough that the Stripes should secure their first ever opening day points.

Stripes win, 0-2, and I'm walking back to my United-decorated car hoping the locals haven't done unholy things to it!

Eleven Bravo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last year's opener was a rain-soaked 2-0 loss at DC United.

Grrrr.

Sounds like there will be between 50-60k folks there, which if on the high end might be the record for MLS debut matches. Depending on who you believe there will be 3k Atlanta fans or maybe as much as 15k! I do know that Tailgaters pub in Nashville was awash in Stripes faithful tonight. (He typed while reading his Facebook feed with jealousy.)

Eleven Bravo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS really screwed us all over by putting Nashville in the West. That should be one of MLS’s premier rivalries.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My XI

—Barco——Josef——Pity——
    ——————Emo——————
    Mulraney—Remedi——Lennon
    ——Walkes—Meza—Franco—-
    ——————Guzan—————

Subs:
    Jeff (Remedi) 70
    Luiz Fernando (Barco) 80
    Adams (Mulraney) 85

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It should only be for one year. Once Austin and Sac Town join in Nashville will move east.

15. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Unfortunately I think it's going to be 2 years. Next season we'll see Charlotte and Austin so we'll probably see Nashville stay in the west for one more.

2022 sees St Louis and the big sac. They'll slide Nashville where they belong at that time

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So psyched for this one. I had toyed with the idea of making the road trip, but that would have meant rearranging real world commitments that would not have pleased the wife. Now, after listening to the 92.9 The Game broadcasts from Nashvilles and talking to friends that made the trip, I wish I'd done it anyway. Hoping we get up 2-0 early, giving FdB the opportunity to insert Luiz Fernando a lot earlier. I really want to see more of him after Tuesday's tantalizing cameo.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They'll be in the East soon, tho.

I certainly think it'll be bigger than us and Po'lando, but there might be a bit too much distance between us and newness to us to be one of the premiers. The LA teams, the NY teams, Cascadia and Cincy/Columbus... at least one of each has been in the league for a while, which creates needed tension between them and the newer team.

But it can be a big one. Gritty, blue-collar Nashville (Vandy notwithstanding) v. a more refined, professional Atlanta. That's a generalization, but I think there's some truth to it.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nashville is as close to a southern derby as we are going to get, at least until Charlotte joins next year and they are about equidistant.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Concession price comparison for a bottle of water, pretzel, and regular coke:

Atlanta - $6
    Nashville - $16

Oh, and it's cold. Right about now I'm greatly appreciating the dome on the Benz.

20. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lineup is same as Tuesday night.

Strong roar for United when they took the field. Really early but I wouldn't be chuffed to say it's a 50/50 crowd so far.

21. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props for representing!

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: NSC 1-2 ATL

A. Raise your icicles if you think playing indoors isn't all that bad!

B. Atlanta struggling on defense and with long passes. If I didn't know better Nashville over-watered the grass to slow the ball down. Escobar, Lennon, and Mulraney have all slipped, too. Marking has been an issue all night, due in part to NSC playing a full-side counter attack and AU defenders being lazy. (Frozen?)

C. Offense needs to push the ball outside more often. Jake and Brooks looking so lonely at times.

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s the crowd ratio?

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is nuts!! Best rivalry already in the league.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched every game today; including having two screens up at once... and man... this isn’t even close. I know Atlanta is my team, but it’s like watching peewee sports versus the UCL final regarding the quality of play and atmosphere in the stands.