Matchday 8, The Arsenal v. AFC Bournemouth, 6 October 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 4, 2019.

1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 ArsenalJake, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Onward and upward to the next congested fixture. The Arsenal will host Bournemouth on Sunday, 9:00am ET on CNBC in the US of A. I'm pretty sure that's still a news station, so expect Trump to tweet about the fake news airing some foreign nation's sporting event instead of covering his finest hour. Baron can fill him in and Martin Atkinson will be the referee.

A quick glance at the table shows Bournemouth level on points with Spuds and Chelsea, so I'm sure we'll setup not to lose this one.

I expect a change or two from the squad at Old Trafford, but nothing major. With the international break coming, I don't expect Tierney or Hector to feature prominently in this one.

Come on you Gunners!!!!!

Pauncho, Shen-O and BIGHMW repped this.
  2. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's 6:00 am for all of us here on the West Coast, COYF'n'G!!!

I'm sure Eddie Howe's boys will be charged up and set to knock us off, so we had better not have a letdown, as this is our third match in 7 days, I'm a little worried about us suffering fatigue late on in this tilt.

3. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    We should beat or be favored against any club at home expect Man City and Pool. But right now in the PL were playing so poor we can be beaten by any team in the PL at home which is a scary thing. I don't understand Emery team selection they are so timid, uncreative and conservative. I expect the same lineup with one or two changes.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another nice video from AFC, showing today's practice. Includes a really long segment of a mini-scrimage/drill. Check out the moves & goal at around 3:45... by Mavropanos of all people!! I'd almost written him off. Not that we'll see him on Sunday, but he sure looked at ease and in form. What was that Mark Twain said about exaggerated rumors?

https://player.arsenal.com/video/graft-goes-behind-scenes-arsenal-training-centre

As for the game, I just pray that Emery gradually moves away from his instinctive conservatism and instructs the boys to go all out like we did against Forest & Liege. There's no reason we can't have some fun like that in the league... against Bournemouth at home... right?

yossarian and maskito repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have to win this match

Hopefully emery learned some free Dom to attack after thurs

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Will Bellerin start really or it's AMN?

7. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it was Chambers at RB vs. yanited.

Both Hector and AMN played Thursday, so I expect it to be Chambers again.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 NorthBank, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Correct. There is NO way Hector starts this. He's not 100% yet. Tierney is closer to 100% so he's more possible to start in theory. But honestly I think the 3 injury returnees were played in the cup so that they could wait a few more weeks before their league comeback.

p.s. Just caught up with today's results. A win tomorrow for us puts us into 3rd. Shhh...

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1180510878480756738 is not a valid tweet id

DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's the only attacking move he wants.

That being said, I think that's Juan Carlos yelling

11. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I don't think it makes very much difference at this point. I expect we will but either way we have the third best squad in England (by some distance imo) and no hope of catching the top two. What happens today won't cement us into third place (or fourth) or stop us from getting there.

That said, the big picture is getting clearer all the time. The problem is Emery, especially his inability to make his ideas clear to the squad. As a consequence the players are going to do what they think they are good at, or what they think will preserver their careers as best as possible. There's no hope of teamwork or mutual understanding among the players, or at least we haven't seen it yet.

We've played seven games in the League so far and have three wins: Burnley, Newcastle and Villa, and all of them by only one goal. And this is with the best squad we've had in over ten years. At this point I'd be genuinely shocked if Emery is Arsenal manager at this time next year.

Walia Ibex and Super Llama repped this.
  12. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your analysis of the squad, but if Arsenal finish 3rd this season, I fully expect Emery to be re-signed. They'll probably give him a raise too.

I don't believe anybody in a leadership position at the club believes we have to win trophies to be a success. Fans want to win. This club wants to make money. To make money, they just need Champions League football again.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luiz 1-0! Is that his first for our club?

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep. Just tuned in to see it, too. Dumba** here forget to check CNBC.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was more like it fom Pepe. Very bright. And a well hit curling shot.

It has to be coming!

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Pepe earns a PK in my opinion. But the ref & VAR disagree. :mad:

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    VAR is never awarding a penalty.

18. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    He grabbed him, like tackle tackled him.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thus game is begging Arsenal to take it by the throat. Players are finding space but Arsenal's passing has struggled.

Chambers gamely holding his own as right back.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far that's true. But hopefully they'll wise up. And stop worrying about embarrassing the head ref.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kolasinac is up for this one today! As long as he doesn't pick up careless yellows I'm all in on the way he's playing.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chambers tries the spectacular volley. His foot position was probably just 1-2" off, from rivaling RVP's strike at Charlton. ;)

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thoughts on 1st half:

- Saka is a bright talent and I'm glad he's getting PT, buy I think he needs to work on his overlaps and team defending. Arsenal's attack could be even more potent today if that left side was doing more to change the shape of Bournemouth's D.

- Central alley of the pitch is where Arsenal needs to change the game. Attacking lines have been very flat, with few incisive runs. Team is using their width but the assault is pretty 1 dimensional.

- Defense has looked poised, albeit uncontested. Can tell they're wanting to push up and support the attack.

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the kind of match and opponent where the likes of 'Pool would put this team to the sword. Arsenal need to learn how to not play down to their opponent but instead start to show their class.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    50' and Wilson weaves through 3 defenders to send a slow roller across the goal line.

Arsenal risking their lead with slack defending to start the 2nd.