Matchday 6: RSL v Minnesota United. May 29, 2021 - 7:30MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, May 26, 2021.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Not That Good" Match

Honestly, a pretty fitting bill for two teams that are, well, not that good. I'll leave it to KIR to give his very good game thread updates/topics. Those are an awesome addition to the year - thanks @kirsoccer. Some things that I find interesting:

Form
    - RSL
    • 8th place in the West (2W/1L/2D)
    • 8 points through 5 games (1.6 PPG)
    • Form through last 5 games (recent to oldest): DDLWW
    • +2 GD: 8 Goals For / 6 Goals Against
    - MNU
    • 12th place in the West (2W/4L/0D)
    • 6 points through 6 games (1 PPG)
    • Form through last 5 games (recent to oldest): WWLLL
    • -5GD: 5 Goals For / 10 Goals Against
    What instantly stands out here is that, while RSL sits above Minnesota in the standings, Minnesota has found a "run of form", if you will, through their last two games. After starting the season 0-4 and giving up 10 goals, they have put together successive 1-0 wins against fellow bottom of the table teams Vancouver and Dallas. Is that form more about the quality of the opponent or is this team starting to play to the perceived level they had before the season started?

Lineups
    - RSL Expected XI:
    Rubin
    Julio Kreilach Rusnak
    Ruiz Besler
    Toia Glad Silva Herrera
    Ochoa

- Brody could switch with either outside back. I doubt Luiz is ready to go just yet. Meram is a possible winger, but with a full week's rest I just don't see Freddy rotating much, if at all.

- MNU Expected XI:
    Lod
    Dotson Reynoso Finlay*
    Gregus Trapp
    Gasper Kallman Boxal Metanire
    Miller

- The only difference for MNU in their two wins was Finlay for Alonso and Raitala for Kallman. If Finlay cant go, then it appears Gregus will slide into the attacking portion of the midfield and push Reynoso wide. The CB situation could rotate. i don't pretend to know what the situation is there

Storyline
    The focus will be the Ochoa incident to start the season for RSL / home opener for MNU. Which, for me, is a bit unfortunate. When looking at the run of form, this is truly a test of a team that seems to have started hot but lost its way lately (RSL) against a team that was a garbage fire to start, but has seemed to found their way lately (MNU). Figuring out if those trends continue makes for a pretty good storyline and will/should affect the managerial safety of each team.

RSLer, rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  2. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Sounds like Reynoso is doubtful for this one. Has a knee "niggle" as Adrian Heath called it and sat out practice yesterday and today.

RSLer, rslfanboy and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Also just realized Ochoa is in this lineup, but he'll be away with USMNT. Seems like Macmath is 2nd choice keeper? Although wouldn't be surprised to see Putna.

Also, thanks for the shout out 15. I used to enjoy watching games across the league and analyzing other teams. Haven't done it in years, but have tried to keep on top of things this to this point this season. Unlikely to continue once we hit July and the backloaded schedule kicks in, but enjoying it for now.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ochoa being gone really takes the bite out of the game for that storyline, at least. I expect this to be much more calm because of it

5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    OK. I want to know what he thought he was saying.

Also, no Reynoso would be helpful for our prospects of getting some points.

6. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Apparently its a real thing:

upload_2021-5-27_16-45-1.png

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    For real, learning a 2nd language is nothing but a blessing. How the hell would he have picked up on that word and retained it? Super impressed.

8. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I wrote a long preview here, but got a BS error when I tried to post. Summary - Reynosa likely out: newly acquired DP Adrien Hunou may debut as he's been training with the club. He's known for his finishing ability something this squad desperately needs. Franco Fragapane (left winger) may also make his debut. In addition, CB Bakaye Dibassy likely will also make his season debut (I would expect for Kallman) as he returns from injury, and he represents a significant upgrade along the backline.

Neither team hitting on all cylinders, but RSL has been better of the two squads despite Minn 2 recent wins (against poor competition). Both teams at bottom of league in SOT %, but RSL has converted more - 8 goals in 5 matches vs 5 in 6 matches for Minn. Minnesota has been more stout defensively in past 2 matches, but I'm not fully convinced, even with the return of Dibassy.

Because of Julio's injury, along with Herrera's injury which has hurt the RSL attack some, and because of difficult playing situations last 2 weeks (against NashSC club with a frustrating defensive approach at Rio Tinto, and road game at Dallas), I think we may see more of a breakout game for the RSL attack in this one. RSL averaging just 3 shots on target and I expect that to at least double in this match.

I'm still concerned that this squad is dead last in duel % in this league, an underrated stat that reflects how well a team is doing in the middle of the park. If RSL isn't winning those first or second balls, they're spending more time defending and less time in the opponents half. Generally they're doing okay in the aerial duels, but the 50/50 balls on the ground are being won by the opponent more often than not. Note: Silva's return last week and the eventual return of Luiz will help with this stat as they're both strong in this category.

My prediction: 2-1 RSL.

15 to 32 and Med_Phys repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To support your observations, I posted that Nashville seemed to get every free ball when they played RSL. Minnesota’s recently improved results concern me. Yet, they will be on the road, at altitude. As far as duel %, Brody and Julio are the only players who seem to win duels. Many of our other okayed don’t even try to duel. It’s a big weakness imo.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New GK but same defense as last week:

MacMath

Herrera Glad Silva Brody

Ruiz Besler

Julio Kreilach < - > Rusnak

Rubio

Bench: Putna; Holt, Toia, Morgan, Schmitt; Portillo, Chang, Meram; Douglas

Unless I am reading it wrong, we have three people backing up Brody - Toia, Morgan, and Schmitt. Unless Schmitt is a forward again.

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Any update on Everton Luiz? It's hard to take the team seriously when Besler is starting.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be curious to see how Mastroeni and Freddy addressed the massive defensive holes this same back six allowed last week.

13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Besler's overmatched, but he's improved a little. I thought he was decent last match. I'd like to see us give Brody the right outside back spot, at least for a half, and see if Herrera can handle the left side.

Stadium looks good - great weather, sunny day, tons of people. Crowds still weird me out a little bit, I just see racism and disease - in my head.

15 to 32, RSLer and boris9678 repped this.
  14. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agreed. I was not excited to see him in the line up last week but was pleasantly surprised by his play

15. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ruiz keeps it on frame. That's improvement.

16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Rusnak doesn't

15 to 32, RSLer and boris9678 repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost feel bad for him at this point.

Great plays by Glad to steal the ball/start the play, and then Julio to lay that pass across for Rusnak to run onto.

18. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You beat me to this post by just a few seconds. Great play...turned to nothing with a Rusnak shot into the crowd.

19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    OK. That goal kicked ass. Minnesota was not awake.

EDIT: Do I need to wait a minute before posting again?

RSLer and Med_Phys repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very pretty.

Quite a fun goal.

21. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Kreilach!!! Great balll from Herrera.

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    #77 is giving me Justin Mapp flashbacks.

23. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Now RSL needs to keep scoring! Don't let the Loons keep hope for the rest of the game.

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An @kirsoccer tweet featured at the 14:26 mark on the local telecast.

kirsoccer repped this.
  25. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Dunny teasing halftime news during halftime interview with Elliott Fall.