Matchday 5 - September 2, 2007 - Aston Villa v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Aug 27, 2007.

1. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Excellent tackle by Alex

2. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    Pizarro and Cole on for Drogba and SWP at half time!

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Malouda got no speed....really.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    why would you take off SWP, who's been playing great?

5. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No take Malouda off for Cole. SWP has been excellent apart from his final shot. He offers the pace that Aston Villa can't handle. Malouda is quick but not lightening fast. Cole is about as quick and can cut inside to take shots or pass. Drogba has the physique but Pizarro will link up the play more effectively. Essien hasn't really gotten into the game and Mikel has faded a bit. Maka has been a calming influence in the center.

6. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    True, with the ball he doesn't have much. Without it he is pretty fast though. Cole on for Malouda.

7. woefulwabbit

woefulwabbit New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    I'm definitely liking what i see from Belletti

8. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Mikel is down after an unfortunate tackle by Mellberg.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    HT.....can't say we look convincing.

11. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Is Essien even playing???

12. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Really, I thought for 25 minutes we were excellent. For the other 25 the match went stale a bit, but our Brazilian defenders looked great. We just need better finishing. That has been our problem. Also we miss the shooters from range, Ballack, Lampard, Malouda are really our only players who can consistently blast from that area. Oh and Drogba, when he's up for it. Coley will bring something new, and he'll track back with enough pace to help Ashley Cole out. Pizarro links up play very well, but his finishing has been a bit suspect. I'm pleased with the early play very pleased, but we need to keep it up until we score, not slow down and allow Aston Villa to attack.

13. hope chest

hope chest New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    SF East Bay
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    TOTALLY diggin' the new signings alex and belletti. alex has been a rock and belletti's been freakin' everywhere. midfield got a little static towards the end of the half but the first part of it was looking really creative.

14. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    He's been playing good but his finished is awful.

Any bets that it's going to be a reverse of how we normally play, where we are crap in first half and good in second?

15. Shwegeh

Shwegeh Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I thought it was going to be like this, Villa with a ton of energy, working hard. We just need one break through here, a goal will win it.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Not a bad first half.

Lets not get carried away and look to win everything away from home right from the start.

We've held them up pretty good, restricted them to very few chances and are winning most of the ball in the middle.

Belletti is looking quite comfortable at right full, even more impressive when considering he's dealing with Young - he's also looked to start something everytime he takes the ball out.

So far so good in the tight game everybody expected.

17. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    I expect Cole to come on for Essien. We need an attacking threat in CM and support for Drogs.

Either this or a switch to 4-4-2 with Kalou in support. I'd bet my money on the first.

18. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    not great t.b.h. but we have looked dangerious from corners and set pieces.saying that id prefer if we kept the ball on the pitch and passed it out wide other than cutting it across the middle of the pitch,which normally has resulted in a back pass and into a punt up the pitch.

too many over the top long balls are hurting our cause with only drogba up front....

19. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alex fitting in well quite nicely, looks better and more comforting than Ben Haim so far; Beletti playing well though a couple dangerous tackles in the box, Mak makes such a big difference; definatly going to need Joey Cole I think to open them up for Obi or Malouda, Obi playing ok but does not look like he will threaten the goal

Don't think we will get another penelty call this season after the muppet Hackett and the League sent a clear message - call a penelty for CFC and lose your job:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    still, SWP creates chances. He needs to be kept on the field.

21. hope chest

hope chest New Member

Jun 4, 2007
    SF East Bay
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    kalou's finishing has been mediocre at best. i say keep him off and try something different.

22. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mikel looked great early on but a bit. Still better than Essien I feel. The midfield is fine, just need more movement from the front or a forwards (Joe Cole or Kalou instead of Maldoua, pacey players who can take on players) who can drop back and help linkup (Pizarro)

23. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But he has pace and can take on defenders. Malouda is more of a clever passer who uses skill as opposed to pace to get by players.

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i want to see Cole for Malouda and Pizarro for Essien.

25. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    could someone please send me the link to a stream that actually works1