PBP: Matchday 3: D07.England - Scotland

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Looks like the Scots have a tough time recovering the ball. The English have barely conceded posession since the goal and until now.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87' 2-1 Scotland subs in (3 of 3) #16 Christie Murray for #23 Lizzie Arnot.

89' 2-1 Emslie goes 1-v-1 on Greenwood down wide right, Greenwood pokes into near touch.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It took Scotland almost a.full minute to get the ball out of their third.

They're playing like they have the result in hand.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. It was poor form on Bronze's part, but it was England's ball to restart, not Scotland's. Scotland might want the quick restart, but it is not their ball.

CoachJon repped this.
  5. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Too little, too late by Scotland at the end.

If anything, Japan better study the videos of this match 3 or even 4 times. Any lapse of concentration won't forgive against such energetic sides.

blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  6. Slatesoccer

Slatesoccer Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Hendersonville,TN,US
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Match and Good Effort by Scotland in the 2nd Half. Not bad for a team making its WWC debut.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of +4') 2-1 J.Scott goes to right corner flag, Smith kicks ball off her into touch.

90+2' (of +4') 2-1 Parris dribbles through pressure at 27m mid-right, taps square to Stanway at 27m center, one-touch right foot shot goes just wide left low as Alexander dove.

90+3' (of +4') 2-1 Scotland advance to ~25m box right, lose it. England promptly switch to Scott at box top wide right, cross cleared into far touch.

90+4' (of +4') 2-1 England play keep-away, lose it. Emslie tries a long cross from circle top right touch, blocked point-blank into near touch.

90+5' (of +4') 2-1 Scotland switch left across the back, but that's it.

FT 2-1.

KAPIJXM repped this.
  8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Finally.

Someone beats a European team.

Oh. Wait....

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Both teams looked good: England's performance was commanding in 1st half, bit Scotland played with excellent energy in the second. Slightly worried for Japan: we'd better start very well vs Argentina tomorrow...

#5nadeshikofan and CoachJon repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, in fact it's a problem for Asian team like Japan that there are often two European sides per group... Well, we'll try to stop the European dominance (but not tomorrow: anyway in Argentina-Japan and Cameroon-Canada definitely there won't be an European winning team! :devilish:)

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have to say that Scotland's GK Alexander was the one that impressed me most in these first games. Hope Solo in studio at the BBC appreciated her effort too (and Solo knows one thing or two about goalkeeping).

MiLLeNNiuM, #5nadeshikofan and KAPIJXM repped this.
  12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Poor game management from Phil Neville imo. Kirby could have been hooked a lot earlier. Looked very tired early in the second half. Scotland’s main threat came from the right hand side so Neville proceeds to bring on one of our least mobile players to cover that area.

blissett repped this.
  13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claire Emslie attended my college (Florida Atlantic University) and I have fond memories of seeing her performances at the team's home matches throughout the 2013, 2014, and 2015 seasons. I was always impressed with her speed, skill, and sportsmanship. It's pretty awesome getting to watch her score Scotland's first ever World Cup goal years later.

MiLLeNNiuM, kolabear, McSkillz and 3 others repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    To be fair, Neville never could handle attacks down the wing.

CoachJon, soccernutter, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game and a great advert for womens football in Great Britain

Kakeru, CoachJon, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC football page has been promoting this WC for months, and have turn the home page into the all about the WWC pretty much since the CL final was done.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    dang, I was hyping previously Emslie as a very athletic type player/no wonder cuz she obviously got her chops playing college ball
    do mean Millie Bright? I was half expecting her in the 1st minute to take a shot & score on her own goal just to take away the suspense of it happening later, lol

but otherwise at left-back it's either Greenwood or Stokes, The surprise at further up left was Mead, who as a right footer been in the past taking turns starting with Parris

I though it was odd that after the Scots bot one back, they were really slow in trying to amount an attack(with just the 10 mins left) , it;s almost like they were ahppy with just the one goal loss

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    No sorry I meant when Neville brought off Mead to be replaced by Carney. Carney is not mobile enough to play the wider roles anymore. It just made it harder for the team to defend on that side of the pitch.

CoachJon repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #119 CoachJon, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    I kinda disagree, England were trying to see out a game, so having the grizzled veteran on the field instead of the tired first-timer makes sense to me. They didn’t need to score another goal.
    Yes, Scotland scored after Carney went on, but I still think it was a good move.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the game:

soccernutter and KAPIJXM repped this.
  21. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I have read that the Jamaikan keeper, Schneider, was very good. I have seen parts of the game but didn’t pay much attention to her.

JimWharton repped this.
  22. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I remember watching Schneider play for lil UNCW against my Duke blue devils a year or so ago, and being so mad the we only beat them 1-0. However, in retrospect, Schneider was ridiculously good in that game. So it doesn’t surprise me she’s at the WWC and playing well

23. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I miss Hope.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    VAR is different, but has been fine...except for the instruction to the line judges to hold their offsides flags. That’s seemed to cause more confusion and frustration for the players than anything. Even when the call is obvious, it’s so disconnected from the act that it always feels like having the rug pulled out.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I feel he should have just brought on Rachel Daly to close down the space defensively and she would have stretched the game more with her pace.

CoachJon repped this.