matchday 21: Frankfurt v Werder [R]

Discussion in 'SV Werder Bremen' started by LebenslangGruenWeiss, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    the team is on their way from Portugal to Frankfurt. no training session between this match and the Braga match. Jensen is out with his 5th yellow. Hunt and Diego are still in doubt but Pasanen might be back. Lineup might be like this:

Wiese-Pasanen,Merte,Naldo,Owo-Fritz,Baumann,Diego,Borowski-Klasnic,Rosenberg(Sanogo)

2. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    correction: they actually had a light training session today. but it was in Braga.

3. highflyerone

highflyerone Member

Aug 18, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the game today due to work, but as I look at the match report I can't help but think that this was a piss poor result. Diego with a straight red at 40' for "violent conduct following a clash with Eintracht defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos" ??? Ugh.

Bayern playing Hamburg tomorrow, could stretch the lead to 6 or 4.

4. saelevena

saelevena New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I also wasn't able to watch the game so I'm not sure what exactly happened. This is a disappointing loss but from what I read Frankfurt were quite lucky to win this, although Werder really should have taken their chances. I don't know if the Diego's red card was deserved as I didn't see what he did and why etc. I'm a bit lost with the whole thing actually, but all I know is that he'll be suspended for 2 weeks which is really unfortunate. It's bad enough that Bayern could be 6 points ahead tomorrow, but I'm hoping Hamburg can take the points from them...

5. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    The red card was as much deserved as Zidanes red card was deserved at the WC final. It's still not clear what Kyrgiakos said to him.

Anyways even with 10 players we totally outplayed Frankfurt in the second half. There is no football-god.

6. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Good thing about the red card is, that Diego has
    more time to get healthy.

I agree, that even with 10 players more was possible,
    but we didn´t act good enough in using chances
    and Eintracht keeper Nikolov had a good day.

7. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see the match, but a friend of mine said that Kyrgiagos and other Frankfurt players had been hacking Diego for the entire match and he finally reacted.

He also said that those Frankfurt players (led by Kyrgiagos) should have been booked for the way they were shamelessly hacking at Diego.

That being said, I won't lie. I'm happy that he's out for our match-up next week. Anytime you guys have beaten us recently, it's been with a healthy and fit Diego.

But if my friend is right, you have to think that maybe Uli Hoeness was right when he said the referees are not doing enough to protect the better players in the Bundesliga.

I know I felt the same when we still had Tomas Rosicky.

Did anyone else see it that way??

8. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yes, it was very nasty. I seemed like it was planed by Frankfurt.
    The Frankfurt player fouled him all the time and the crowd booed
    him like he simulated. Kyrgiakos hit Diego at his back heel, when the ball was
    already played by Diego and then stand beside him and made jokes about him.
    Then he said "stand up, f*ck you" and Diego became angry, because he just fall
    after the attack and made a bodycheck against the bastard (ok, also used his ellbow).
    It was funny to see a 1.93 m bastard fly throught the and then fall
    when getting hit by a 1.74 m player and then cry on the ground until the referee gave
    Diego red. I can understand Diego, but he must learn to be cool in such situations,
    it was the 2nd time in BL, that something like that happened (the other time was in Dortmund and
    there he was also not 100% fit and nerved about getting hit all the time (in that match by Tinga)).

edit:
    Kyrgiakos should be happy, that he played against Diego and not against our old playmaker.
    I still remember Micoud last BL action with Christian Poulsen. I think Poulsens wife hadn´t fun with
    her husband for some days and Poulsen needed much ice for his "little Poulsen". ;)
    I don´t like such scenes, but i have to admit, that the player deserved it in this case, too.

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what my friend said. He was totally sympathetic to Diego, but also knew Diego should not have reacted in that way. However, one other thing I know is that it's easy for us to sit here and say that.

I know I got thrown out of three matches when I played at school and in the Army for retaliating against either foul play or verbal abuse.

As far as the match at Dortmund, I remember that. Tinga said afterwards that everyone back in Brazil knows that if you play Diego tough, he normally gets flustered.

Now, can you compare the two? My friend called Kyrgiakos a "dirty asshole." When another person brought up Tinga's tactics against Diego, he said, "Kyrgiakos was being 'dirty', Tinga didn't go that far."

Of course, my friend is another BVB fan, so of course I think he and I both would be biased.

What do you think?

I have to say I agree with you.

10. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    lol, you cant be serious!
    what do you expect Kyrgiakos to do? Hes a defender, of course he wont let Diego go by him... Of course he tries to keep him down by "playing it hard".Thats his game, and thats what I love him for! He plaies hard, but barely ever unfair.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFP5gcLI68w
    There you got the scene. Its hardly a foul, i would call it a regular "zweikampf" (so did the ref) in which diego takes his part too, by stretching out his right leg. Typicall everday scene to me. Kyrgiakos then turns around and tells him not to be such a little bitch and fall all the time. I cant blame him. Diego may be the most fouled player of the league, Sotos is probably the player on whom most dives are tried...
    I wanna see you staying on your feet if I ram my ellbow into your chest with full force unexpectedly. Diego is smaller, but its not like hes a little kid hes an athlete and vertainly has a bit of force...

Of course the crowd starts booing him if a player falls every other minute. I dont know, maybe in Bremen they dont, but in Frankfurt we sure do! That has helped taking out players like Diego before and will do so again. Thats what we do. We try to help our Team!
    If being hostile to little bitches is all it takes... The better for us...

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I stated, I didn't see it. I still haven't. However, if a Dortmund fan (my friend who did see it all), who is actually HAPPY that Diego won't face us the next week says your players tactics were "dirty", I tend to believe that. You write like this was about one particular play. My friend says your guys went to work hacking at Diego from the opening whistle. He has no reason to lie and he isn't biased toward Bremen or against you guys. Again, he's happy Diego won't face us next week.

"Taking out little bitches" with dirty tactics (again, I'm trusting my friend's opinion) has no place in this game. I guess unless your club is desperate. I thought you guys were above that these days. I guess not.

Yes, Diego has to keep his cool in that situation, but that doesn't mean I'm going to have any sympathy for the provocateur.

Even if the situation favors my club in the end........

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kyriakos and Diego had only faced each other twice until the red card moment, in 40 minutes of open play.Even on paper, 'constant hacking' looks different.The moment where Diego got the red card, that was a regular challenge, Diego protects the ball, Kyriakos is trying to get the ball.

I wonder what Diego would've done to a defender that takes him out the way Naldo did to Klose.

Tinga(If you're talking about the DFB Pokal game) was man marking Diego, Kyriakos barely got to see him, as a central defender, you'd think he'd be rather busy marking Bremen's strikers.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, I didn't say Kyrgiakos constantly hacked Diego, I said from what my friend said it was an obvious Frankfurt tactic, which "Doc_Aeppler's" "Taking out a little bitch" comment seems to confirm.

Kyrgiakos' comments to Diego would have just been the final straw.

But I guess I shouldn't comment so much because I'm only going from what someone else who saw the match said.

I am not here to defend Diego. You have to keep your cool on the pitch. But I will also not back up someone who utilizes "dirty tactics" in order to provoke another player either.

That, my friend, is what we call "unsportsmanlike conduct."

But I guess being a good sport in our game doesn't matter when you're desperate for three points, eh?? :rolleyes:

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Judging from Allofs comments, Diego got more pissed at the constant crowd noise against him than something that was done on the field.

There isn't much need to "back up" any player because Frankfurt played according to the rules.The majority of the fouls on Diego where called, and yellow card challenges where actually yellow carded.

Diego doesn't have much space to defend himself, and no Frankfurt player can say he got away with something, and this is why Allofs and Schaaf are making general statements instead of mentioning single players.the whole "Kyriakos is a dirty bastard" thing exists only in the minds of people that look for a Materazzi to blame.

If Diego would've kept his cool, and played on, possibly with the match ending with a positive result for Bremen, it's unlikely that there would be any discussion about it.It was a game like any other.

15. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    How do you judge this from Allofs comments? Diegogot frustrated from the whole mixture composed of the behavior of the fans, players and especially coaches.

once you start fouling you don't play according to the rules. The referee was mostly right with his decisions according to the rules. But it would also have been according to the rules if he had protected Diego better.

I would like to see you keep your cool in a situation like that and yes Kyrgiakos should apply for italian citizenship for acting the way he did after Diego pushed him.

Frankfurt is a much worse team than Werder and they would have lost against them if they hadn't used dirty tactics. The way they played and behaved might be legitimate but it's never fairplay.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which is what I was getting at, but could not 'forcefully' imply because I didn't see it myself.

17. cloudy3139

cloudy3139 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    For the record Kyrgiakos and Diego have faced each other for more than 40 minutes. When they were at Rangers and Porto respectively they faced each other in the CL, but i can't remember anything off the top of my head to suggest they had a dislike for each other.

Except for the fact Soti scored the winning goal in one of the games. :p

I know Soti well when he played for Rangers, i'm sure he did exaggerate Diego's contact and wind him up, but that doesn't mean Diego should react. He's meant to be a professional sports star, Diego, in the public eye, people look up to him, and he shouldn't have done what he did.

18. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    Well, if its about the whole game, then why do you guys keep mocking on Sotos in this thread? He didnt have much more then that one clash with Diego, as 4x4 pointed out, and, as the video shows, this one scene was hardly a foul... I cant tell you if the rest of the team were "hacking" Diego, as I havent seen the whole game, but I have my doubts to be honest...

Clearly, Bremen, Dortmund and everybody else would just let a superior player play his game and score his goals...
    WTF?! What do you expect? Did you guys think we are just gonna lie down in front of the mighty Bremen and ask how many goals you wanna score like last time? (6-2) Lesson learnt. Game won. Get over it and stop crying allready.

Dont then. Its not like that matters. :rolleyes:

19. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    And why do you feel the need for that? Did Diego get injured? Where there any actual hard fouls on him?

Wow, I would love to test that Time-Machine of yours that enables you to know that! Remember back in May? You lost against us even with 11 Men and I cant recall any "dirty tactics"... Since when are Werder Fans so freakin arrogant anyways?!

20. LebenslangGruenWeiss

Aug 13, 2004
    Heidelberg
    why does someone have to get injured so that the referee is less lenient in his decisions?
    Nobody gets injured when a player holds another players jersey (repeatedly). Kyrgiakos did it. the ref didn't call it even though it would have been according to the rules to call it. being less lenient doesn't always mean to risk a player getting injured.

let's judge from this most recent match alone. Werder outplayed Frankfurt with 10 men. still Frankfurt won. why? because they were lucky and they used "dirty tactics".

21. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I have enough of the whole complaining, it was dirty for me as i already wrote,
    but even with ten players we had enough chances to take the points out
    of Frankfurt. Sadly we couldn't use it, but it shows me, that our team has moral
    and that should make the team and us confident for the next difficult matches.

I start a Dortmund match thread and then watch some DFB-cup.