Matchday 21: DCU vs ATL, 8/21/21

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cool. All the hoped-fors happened except for Philly beating Montreal (ended in a draw)..

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy what a change in coach can do.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Since returning from the Gold Cup Guzan has largely been excellent. And I say this as a man who publicly asked Doug Roberson about the prospects of Kann taking over.

Guzan's distribution is poor, a confounding issue to persist this far into a likely HOF calibre career, but his reaction saves have been tremendous. Yeah, he should have been better positioned for that free kick goal yesterday, but then again it took a world class, inch-perfect shot to beat him. 9 times out of 10 that shot doesn't work.

I won't lament Guzan's eventual departure if Kann is around to take over, and it might prove a good move for the money, but while he's here and performing like this color me approved.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The power of belief and getting the players on board. A facet of how modern managers are more about bonds and motivation than about blunt strategy.

Auriaprottu and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It goes with my theory that the best way for leadership to get the most out of people is by treating people with dignity and respect. Sad that it seems like many “leaders” institute fear-based leadership.

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not the prettiest soccer in the world, but wins are wins. Here's hoping they can keep it going.
    VPNs are your friend. Twitter was used for the English broadcast when a game is on Univision.

Guardien repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So what VPN do you recommend for ESPN+ blackouts and what does it cost? Since cutting the cord I am finding my TV bill steadily growing again as I keep adding another streaming service. Just last week I added Peacock+ because I had company that wanted to watch the Man U game Sunday morning. Cha-ching, another $4.95 for that service.

8. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check your messages.

VFish repped this.
  9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Happy that George Bello gets to go to the allstar game but it means he and Miles won't be available for Pineda's debute. Remind me again why the MLS holds the allstar game in the middle of the playoff run?

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Normally it would have been earlier but this season started a month late and had extra down time because of international breaks.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The MLS should hold it before or after the season... or better yet, just name a team and not have a game at all.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That depends on the TV contracts. If the likes of ESPN demand it and pay for it then you do it. Sadly.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Is that the same ESPN+ that blacks out the games in my neighborhood even though I can't get Bally? Forgive me, I am just venting, but if people are watching the MLS because of the All-Star game I'd be amazed. My non-soccer friends could not care less about the MLS... they call soccer boring while explaining why golf is a great spectator sport (with a straight face).

So who won last nights game? I didn't watch, instead I watched 'Friends' reruns with Mrs. Vfish.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I didn't watch. I haven't watched an all-star game of any sport in ages. The need for those went away once SportsCenter showed every highlight every night.

Read that MLS won... Via PKs. Apparently it wasn't the free-flowing scoring affair of the NBA version. No one played/ran hard enough to risk injury.

Will have to see what the TV ratings reveal, especially across the Spanish language outlets. Methinks there is high novelty appeal among the genuine LMX fans who aren't used to this schtick.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am guessing the Friends reruns had better ratings.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    PKs decides this important game.... They should use that as entry at the border.What a cluster,