Matchday 21: DCU vs ATL, 8/21/21

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Aug 20, 2021.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DC United vs Atlanta United
    Audi Field, Washington DC
    Saturday, August 21, 8PM
    Bally Sports South

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com United home page here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    DCU home page here.

Player Availability
    Atlanta
    • OUT: Emerson Hyndman (torn ACL)
    • OUT: Mo Adams (left quad)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Jake Mulraney (lower body)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Franco Ibarra (lower body)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Santiago Sosa (lower body)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Matheus Rossetto (lower body)
    DCU
    • OUT: Brendan Hines-Ike (hip)
    • OUT: Adrian Perez (foot)
    • OUT: Nigel Robertha (groin)
    • OUT: Bill Hamid (hamstring)
    • OUT: Donovan Pines (foot)
    • OUT: Paul Arriola (hamstring)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Kevin Paredes (undisclosed)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Russell Canouse (ankle)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Andy Najar (undisclosed)

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry the thread is up so late, guys. Found out I'm having to shut down my OnlyFans page. D***it all.

In news that matters, Roberson is reporting that Sosa and Ibarra will NOT be available Saturday. Hurts given that some rotation, or at least heavy subbing, was on order for the third match in a week. Valentino may have to ask the guys to bow up and rely on the full week they'll get before playing again after this contest. Sedjic should be an affable fill in for Sosa, or a slight formation shift could allow Tyler Wolff onto the pitch, as well. We shall see, but it's not only a big game for the standings but one where Atlanta will want to prove they can beat a playoff calibre team.

DCU has been playing well this season. They've lost their last two and only sit 3 pts higher than Atlanta, but those two losses came on the road against the current #1 and #2 teams in the east. DC has scored 7 times more than Atlanta, due largely to the rebirth of Ola Kamara, who has flourished with 11 goals thus far thanks to a retooling of the midfield that has given him plenty of space and opportunity. Stripes alumni Gressel and Asad are among the team leaders both in minutes played and guiding on the pitch, and the chemistry among the older players has given DC life. Like Atlanta, DC makes the most of their home field advantage, preferably with a counter-attacking style and using a multiple attackers who will constantly shift sides.

For Atlanta it will be all about momentum vs energy deprivation. If the players are more charged by their win streak than they are beat down by fatigue, then they'll relish the chance to make a big statement in their push for the post-season. Josef expressed both his enthusiasm for parts of the match Wednesday and what new DP Luiz Araujo brought to the team, while also noting the elements of the team communication that wasn't working well and identifying ways they need to improve. Hopefully they receive the critical commentary from Coach Valentino as instructive tools for getting better, and work to bear the fruits of success.

The defense will need to be tighter, as Guzan and others noted. We know Gressel can cross and they have several players capable of putting a good shot on target. Given at least one necessary midfield change to replace Sosa, it means the communication on defensive coverage will be key. Arriola is unlikely to play but midfielders like Felipe and Nyeman will be happy to test the speed and rotation of the Stripes' center backs.

Should prove a gritty match. Atlanta will want to make it to half time ahead or even, especially given their tendency to fade and lose match-ups in the second half. If they can keep DCU from getting strikers into the box, however, they stand a good chance.

Vamos!

VFish, Auriaprottu and SabreKhan repped this.
  3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC are on just as short rest as we are. They have the advantage of being at home, however. As I said in an earlier post, I'd be happy with a draw. A road game on very short rest with a depleted roster likely spells doom, but we do have the horses to come away with some points here. I expect some ugly football in the second half (though who knows if anybody will even be able to watch this game since it's on Bally and NBC Sports Washington... maybe you can stream it in the background of your OnlyFans).

VFish and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    When I gave up on the real world, packed up and moved to the coast I signed up for ESPN+ just to watch the 5 stripes and drink Red Stripes. Well every game on Bally is blacked out on ESPN+. In the beginning of the season I stumbled on a way to watch games on Twitter, but now I can't figure out how to do that. Can anyone help? Or was that a one time thing. I'll even sign up for OnlyFans if I have to.

Hup, Atlanta, Hup!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the Twitter thing only applies to matches shown on the Spanish language channels.

Does Bally have. Mobile streaming option comparable to FoxSportsGo? If so you might be able to subscribe to something that way. I'll ask around, as I know a few cord cutters.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am on Saint Simons if that helps. Gainesville was nice, but it ain't the coast. And there is always an open invitation if you want come to the beach. Just need a one month heads up.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    All our guys are out with 'lower body injuries'. FTW is up with that? In all my playing days I never had a lower body injury. Spained ankles, yes. Head concusions yes, broken ribs yes, broken nose yes, but never a lower body injury. I am not even sure what a lower body injury is. Groin sprain? Appendicitis? Their dicks fell off?

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Will actually be in St. Simons in November, albeit for a work trip. Conference at the King and Prince.

Yeah, sports leagues have to report injuries but they're not required to be specific. Reason being they don't want to invite opponents to hack away at the bruise, sprain, whatever.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Lower body injury screams "kick 'em in the groin". I'd go with lower elbow sprain.

Look me up when on Saint Simons. November is a good time to be here.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A win tonight puts us clearly in the playoff hunt. We'd gain 6 points on DC and Columbus play Seattle, so if things go true to form we should leap frog them. Win one more for for the Gipper (Robbie V).

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I can't watch the 5 stripes but I get Eredivisie matches. Certainly we should be able to poach some of this talent, every match I watch seems to have some young 19 year old rising star scoring a goal. And the style of play should please the Atlanta fan base.

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we just tie them on points, which will leave us below the line for now. But tied on points with the teams on the line with thirteen games to play is a much better position than we were in last week.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We play a lot of important games at home. I like our chances...

GunnerJacket and SabreKhan repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Araujo starts, and Sejdic is in for Sosa. Team is going for it, as none of the key players are resting.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Game is broadcasing something else. Bummer.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    15' 0-0

Nothing much to report so far. 1-2 chances for each, but nothing threatening.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The story thus far is whether or not the ref will ever show a card.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta seems to be dealing with the grass, which is playing MUCH heavier and slower than the Benz turf.

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No reasonable video streams anywhere. Listening via the internet radio.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The radio call: "Shot! GOOOOAAAARRRR!!!" o_O

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    !!!!!!!!!!!!

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Awaiting VAR ruling...Goal stands!

Moreno made a nice move off Gressel, takes the ball down the middle where Atlanta has numbers. As the back line tries to cover Martinez slips in between two defenders and Moreno gets a pass through. Josef slides it in while holding off the defender.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    30' and Bello gets a yellow. Considering the stuff allowed so far that's chintzy. Credit Gressel for selling it