Matchday 2: May 1, RSL vs Sporting KC

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Apr 27, 2021.

1. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Lots of football to play this weekend and in the season ahead...but for a few minutes at least we can enjoy this...
    upload_2021-5-1_14-10-0.png

2. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    I'm truly impressed. I'm beginning to believe.

3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great match and well worth the drive up. Rubio may turn out to be a hell of a good move. Hole Julio’s injury is not too serious.

Ismitje repped this.
  4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I very much enjoyed the game today. Nice to be back in the stands.

2 games, 2 wins, nice start.

I’m not jumping on any bandwagons just yet though. For all we know we just watched the 3 worst teams in MLS over the first 2 games. Probably not the case but I’ll keep my enthusiasm tightly strapped down for now. Freddy Juarez is still the coach of a team that spent the first 20+ minutes trying to find offense down the left side through Donnie freaking Toia.

A few things:

Is this team a house of cards? Without Julio and Rubio there’s not much offense. That has to be concerning. So nice to have the element of speed and pace again.

Lots of excitement around Bobby Wood joining the team but I think I’m more excited about finally having Rusnak join RSL this season. Be nice to have him back. Where should he actually be playing to impact the game? That’s a serious question.

Brody must really suck during “Dunny Time” because why is he on the bench and Toia starting? If Toia is there for defense why were they trying to run the offense through him?

it looked like today that the team that challenged the opposing young keeper more often scored more goals. Ochoa hung out to dry on the first goal but he did nearly gift KC a goal. Only really challenged a couple times surprisingly.

It’s a long season and when it comes to RSL being atop the table that’s all we’ll and good but I can’t help but remember where Tottenham was in December last year. “My how the turn tables.” Michael Scott

Hopefully we’re at the start of a very satisfying season. I will enjoy whatever comes our way. I just want it to be positive enjoyment and not sarcastic self deprecating amusement.

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Rubin and Brody getting a lot of credit for today's win, which was well deserved. However, Ruiz and Damir were excellent as well. Dami scored, but also had a beautiful chip to assist Rubin on first goal. Ruiz sprung Brody for his assist to Dami, but also had a key pass to Dami that nearly led to a Julio goal at start of second half. Defensively, I felt Glad and Silva had several nightmare moments including the goal. Fortunately, SKC seemed incapable of taking advantage of those opportunities.

6. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Well, then, the next thing you need to do is just stand up on your feet.

7. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    1st time since 2012 RSL won the first 2 games of the season. The 5 goals match the most in club history through two games (also done in 2012 and 2011).

2012 and 2011 are the only seasons RSL won the first 2 games. They finished with 53 and 57 points respectively, both in a 34 game season.

2011 won the first 4 games, while 2012 won 5 of the first 6.

Allez RSL, RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  8. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Brody was a revelation - who knew he had it at the MLS level? (Some would suggest anyone who watched the pre-season knew.)

Now, for the love of the beautiful game, get Herrera on the left as soon as he is healthy. The fact Toia HAS a left foot and is alleged to be left-footed is not enough to overcome the fact he can't use it effectively. RSL will get more D out of Herrera and just as good if not better offense from Herrera on the left with better offense on the right from Brody.

Entertaining game.

RSLer, goobx1 and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who else have we loaned to Austria? Ruiz and Brody have been fantastic since coming back.

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. First and foremost. I'm not eating crow just yet, but I'm looking at this 2021 RSL Menu and that crow is starting to look mighty good. Kudos to Freddy and the team. I'm looking wrong, very wrong, based on these first two games.
    2. Which, to give me credit, is just that. 2 games. 180 minutes. In those 180, there was plenty to be worried about. We were the lesser side in Minnesota for much, if not all of the game. In this one, we started really poorly and SKC put us down because of it.
    3. I'm not quite sure what the defensive shape/response was to the goal, but I really hope the club has invested in that video review capabilities that KB wanted because the entire backline needs it. To start, Ruiz is ball watching as the ball moves to Pulido. He is their best player and who should be picked up first. That he is so open screams to a bad communication between Glad/Silva and Ruiz.
    4. From there it is a 3v2 for SKC, but they aren't at a full sprint. RSL has Toia and Herrera recovering, with Ruiz as well. If the lanes are filled right by Glad and Silva, this is a non-chance. However, what happens next is the opposite. The ball finds Shelton, who takes a couple bad touches, but neither Silva or Toia really close the space enough. Glad doesn't close down on Busio - which I can understand a bit because Pulido is still running - but he doesn't really tighten the space much. When the ball leaves Shelton's feet, all 4 RSL players in that space (Silva, Toia, Glad, and Ruiz) watch the ball. It's a bad pass, too, it must be said. Shelton chopped it. Busio does a clever dummy which highlights that Herrera didn't continue his sprint recovery to pick up Pulido and that Glad didn't step to either player. Pulido cooly hits it to the far post. I'm not sure why Ochoa commits to his near post so soon, but I don't think it much matters. It looks bad because SKC had a 3v2, RSL got back to have the advantage at 3v4, but never really filled the lanes or pick up the most dangerous player (pulido) in the attack. Kudos to SKC for taking the play, but really bad defending from RSL, as well.
    5. On the flip side, the Kreilach goal showed some really good soccer from RSL. It starts with an underrated ball from Glad into Ruiz. Glad has to fit that ball between 2 SKC defenders with another coming behind Ruiz. It would be understandable for Glad to make a lateral pass to Silva here but instead he pushes it forward and breaks the first SKC line. That's a really positive sign. Brody's reaction to start sprinting once Ruiz receives is awesome and shows good movement. We're lucky that SKC didn't somehow cut out the space. They have 4 guys in the space but nobody wants to cut it off. Credit to Ruiz, it's a very well hit pass. Similar to the pass from Glad, the first touch from Brody is underrated. He takes that ball in stride, with defenders closing, and puts his first touch into the right space to cross. It keeps the attack moving forward and doesn't make anyone have to adjust their runs. Speaking of runs, an interesting thing you'll see on the replay is the position/runs of the attacking players. Rubio and Rubin made essentially the same near post run. SKC bites on it and commit 3 defenders to those two. Kreilach smartly swings his run towards the middle/back of the goal about 10 yards out. This is what Kreilach was sold to us as and when he is at his best in attack. When he is the point guy making the first, or even second run, he isn't effective. He gets picked up pretty easily. Being the 3rd or 4th run into the box, though, he can slip into gaps and punish the ball-watching. Equally impressive on this cross are where Rusnak (top of the box) and Toia (top corner of the box) are. If this chance somehow gets saved or misses Kreilach, we had 2 guys unmarked ready to score.
    6. I don't know how Julio missed his chance to start the second half. It's honestly more impressive to miss that, especially in the way he did, than to score. The run by Rubin on that chance is really basic but something we haven't had with the Kreilach as the point experience that it looks amazing.
    7. Speaking of Kreilach, we saw another moment of what he was sold as highlighted in the second goal. He receives the ball about 50 yards from goal and turns and drives into the space, pushing the SKC defense back. I don't expect him to dribble players on a regular basis, but the skill he showed on the ball in that play was really impressive. Stuff you'd expect from an attacking mid. Stuff we don't see from Rusnak. SKC's defense looks really bad on the cross and goal as Rubin is somehow unmarked despite there only being 2 attackers (Rusnak and Rubin) to the 3 defenders. To compound it, the SKC defender tries to head the ball away despite it being way out of his reach, which gives Rubin that much more time. Rubin's first touch is a little heavy, but pretty good. The SKC keeper comes out really hard and I think actually makes the finish easier in doing so - at least on the near post - as he covers the middle at the expense of the posts. Credit to Rubin.
    8. Brody makes a run in the 56th minute - its in the highlight package - that is top level stuff and could fundamentally change this team. He receives the ball just off the sideline about 30 yards from goal, and dribbles all the way to the opposing 18, in the middle. He honestly out-ran the rest of the team in doing it, which is insane to think about with where everyone was at. If we can get that out of him more, this team's dynamic can completely change.
    9. I don't understand what the SKC defense (and GK) were doing on Rubin's goal but I'll take it. Yes, Rubio makes a really good run and shows good skill on the ball. But it's a 1v4 and he never actually got behind any of the back 4. He pulled the CB over, the RB was on skates, but he never gets behind them. The GK gets beat on his near post from 20 yards out on a low driven shot. It was one that, if we conceded, I'd be livid.
    10. That said, Rubin showed some incredible confidence on the ball not only in that play but overall. He is growing on me even more than last week. He's nothing flashy in how he plays - this was the sum of his trick bag it looked like - but he works his ass off. That'll cover a lot of gaps
    11. The injuries are really a concern from this game. I hope they are what they're being sold as - cautionary. Without Everton, Herrera, and Julio this team will be exasperated. Brody came on and had a hell of a game, no doubt, but expecting that from him will be setting us up for disappointment. Without Julio, we just don't have speed and Meram - for all he does as a depth option - should not be starting anymore in MLS.
    12. The spine of this team is what is surprising me the most and giving me the most reason to be optimistic. Ruiz, especially, has continued his form from last year. In some ways, he looks even better. The diagonal balls that he plays to switch play, while keeping pace, are massive.
    13. I was underwhelmed by SKC. Similar to Minnesota, they were billed as a playoff team and one of the players in the west. They didn't look like it. It's early in the season, I get that, but they were slow in a lot of phases and sloppy.
    14. This next game is a big big one for Freddy. Keeping a consistent run of form was completely absent last year. It didn't matter the quality of the opponent. The tactics of San Jose will expose a lot for RSL - they have for every team that SJ plays - but I think they actually could give RSL some unnecessary advantages. I do fear that, with a man marking system, that a player like Ruiz or Luiz (if he plays) will get frustrated and pick up cards.
    15. All in all, this is 6 more points than I thought RSL would have at this point. This game was much easier on the eyes than the Minnesota game, too, so that's a plus. I'll be in attendance for the SJ game. My first time at the RioT since the NYRB game last year. I'm excited.

RSLer, DrownedElf, Allez RSL and 4 others repped this.
  11. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    haha, I would hope Rubio and Rubin made nearly the same run. I assume you mean Julio?

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I agree that Ruiz looks potentially even better, I was half expecting a significant drop-off.

RSLer, rslfanboy, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats how good the run was from Rubio...
    Yeah, that should be Julio.

kirsoccer and RSLer repped this.
  14. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glass half empty is fair. RSL's only given up two goals, but we've given up closer to ten dangerous opportunities that haven't been finished well - likely due to early season and teams not being entirely in form...esp against MNUFC.

The surprising change is the amount of shots we're generating. Many of those are rapid counter-attacks. Many are also opportunistic - a function of the opposing defenses being shit - giving the ball away, or - as 15 points out about RSL - not closing out on players in dangerous distributing (or shooting) positions.

We'll know a lot more about where RSL stands in the West after we see Seattle, Portland, the LA teams.

Allez RSL and rslfanboy repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time it was a positive experience to read about RSL in a league story? Here's Matt Doyle leading off this week's Armchair Analyst review of the weekend's action.

Fun stuff. Apt stuff too.

RoyalNonesuch, BalanceUT, RSLer and 2 others repped this.