Matchday 18 | Saturday, July 20 | @ Rio Grande Valley FC

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by fortunesfool223, Jul 18, 2019.

1. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 fortunesfool223, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    03.31.18_-1024x528_large.jpg

Saturday, July 20, 5:30 pm
    @ Rio Grande Valley FC
    H-E-B Park

TV:
    KQCA My58 (OTA 58.2, Comcast 704 & 4, Uverse 58, Direct 58, Dish 58)
    Estrella TV Sacramento (OTA 58.3)
    ESPN+

Watch Party:
    Non announced

Standings

Standings.jpg

Game PreView

With a league low of only two draws, Republic FC seems to live by the axiom, "win a few, lose a few". However, having only played 17 games as of week 20, Sacramento is poised to rise in the table (if they can find consistency) as their next three opponents have a combined Goal Differential of -5. Looking for more offensive punch, this week SRFC signed attacker Dariusz Formella who spent the past seven years in Poland’s first division (Lech Poznan). Republic FC's previous most recent signing, defender Juan Barahona, was named to the USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 19. Last Saturday’s match against T2 marked Barahona’s first start with the club, after joining in June.

Last weekend, Rio Grande Valley went toe-to-toe with the "absolutely on fire" Phoenix Rising, losing 1-0. RGV FC almost matched Phoenix in shots for the match (12-14), a clear sign that RGV FC is not a team that lies back. The last RGV FC game I watched, I was impressed with their keeper, Houston Dynamo loanee, Tyler Deric.

mangerson and Robdog repped this.
  2. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that sucked. I think we just witnessed how much Cohen’s play covered for a sloppy defense.

3. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    I think it is safe to say that the experiment of Tyler Blackwood as a single forward has run its course.

Feh.

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised we re-signed him at all. I can't imagine why Simon thought having him alone up top would work. He's clearly only useful attacking out wide with his speed.

BTW, their first goal was clearly offside after the ball rebounded off the goal. Second division AR's should know this.

5. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    RGV's first goal was not offside. The guy who got the ball from the posted shot was the guy who shot the ball from an onside position.

Both RGV goals were master-level examples of ball-watching by the defense. I have a feeling that Josh Cohen was a bit more adept at directing traffic in the box. This is something that will have to be adjusted with Diaz.