Matchday 18: Barca - Espanyol [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Ublydok, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Ublydok

Ublydok New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    browsing bigsoccer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Place: Anoeta, Barcelona

Barcelona 12-4-1, 40 PTS, 1st Place, (+29)
    Espanyol 4-6-7, 18 PTS, 14th Place, (-6)

First game after holidays. I hope players rested well and will focus on the game. Last time we played Espanyol, we ended up 0-0 draw(thanks to Kameni). My prediction for this game is 2-0 with Eto'o scoring both goals.

Visca el Barça!

2. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    This will be a tough derby guys, Espanyol have always played us tough in this city derby and they are coming off a 2-1 away win over a good Depor side. We really have to work harder and utilize our chances.

Key players likely to miss this match for Espanyol, Kameni, thier Cameroonian flamboyant keeper and key midfielder Moises Hertado red carded versus Depor. However i think Kameni will be back for this derby, besides i doubt he has joined the Cameroon squad for the Nations cup.

This game might as well be won in midfield, whoever controls the middle of the pack will take the day. I suspect Espanyol will play attacking football in their 4-4-2 since it is a derby, they usually want to match us man-to-man and play-by-play. we need to keep an eye on the midfield pairing of De la pena, thier main playmaking threat, Fredson, another good linkman, Ito and Eduardo Costa a good brazilian anchorman.

Our defence will particularly be on guard against Tamudo and Luis Garcia, thier twin attack but i think if we can neutralize thier midfielders then we would have cut off the supply link and these two forwards will not get enough support.

They also have a good defence, keep an eye on this guy, Albert Lopo very tough hard tackling stopper, 25 years and wanted by the likes of Arsenal, Aston villa, Everton, Bolton and Man United besides Real Madrid were also linked with him. Personally i think if he is out of contract at the end of this season, he would be a good addition as cover for Puyol and Rafa for us.

At the end of the day if we play hard we will claim bragging rights, a 2-1 win for us is my prediction and good to have back Van Bommel.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game is Saturday Jan 7.

4. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Are they playing the derbi in San Sebastian? :D

Looks like Marquez is out and possibly Santi as well. It should be a tight one actually. Barça should prevail, plus we have an extra day's rest from the Copa Del Rey.

5. Ublydok

Ublydok New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    browsing bigsoccer
    :eek: Fixed.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Espanyol played at Lluis Companys?

7. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hope this game is on PPlive.

8. futbolmad

futbolmad New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Agreed. This time around Eto'o wants to make sure the pichichi title will be his (and the European Golden Boot, too), even with 4 or 5 Liga games missed when he goes to Egypt to play for Cameroon. So he will want to really pile up his goal tally and leave his competitors gasping. Good luck to those who aspire to catch him!

9. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Which is on Paseo Olímpico. Lluis Companys is the Olympic Stadium in Montjuic.

GolTV will show it at 4pm EST on Sat afternoon.

10. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    To bad Rafa is out, they might shift Oleguer to central-D and have Belletti man the right flank. As for Santi, i was surprised Frank praised his performance during the Zamora match especially given that he missed a couple of scoring chances. Not sure if he is injured for this derby.

11. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    I think Rijkaard wanted to encourage him. Fact is that Ezquerro dont play much so Rijkaard cant just criticize him. But if you look his performance one again you will find out that he played very well, just his finishing was poor. He was well placed in several occasions and he gave that great ball to Sylvinho for third goal. Santi didnt play bad, just his finishing was poor. But while we won this didnt count in the end ;)

12. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Knee problems. Probably won't even be on the bench.

13. evandc1

evandc1 Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Are you talking about Márquez? How serious is this injury? Man this is bad news. I was really unimpressed with Oleguer at CB against Zamora. He's been doing well at RB, but I don't trust him in the middle. Maybe Rijkaard should use Edmílson in Márquez' place in the defense and Motta at DM..?

14. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR

I was talking about Ezquerro. Marquez has something wrong with his leg. I don't think it's real serious.

Rijkaard will probably put Edmilson in the middle with Puyol. Gabri and Van Bommel are also fit. Aside from the sure-fire starters (Puyol, Deco, Ronnie, Eto'o, Valdes), the other 6 are anyone's guess. We should be ok though.

15. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Team for tomorrow match:

Valdés, Jorquera, Gabri, Iniesta, Van Bommel, Sylvinho, Oleguer, Van Bronckhorst, Puyol, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Belletti, Giuly, Deco, Messi, Edmílson, Larsson, Motta.

Marquez and Ezquerro arent in the team. Rafa is injured and Ezquerro rested.

16. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Messi gets number 19

Leo Messi will be wearing a new shirt tonight, having worn the number 30 shirt so far this season he's now been handed the number 19 shirt. Curiously enough, Messi made his league debut for Barca last October in this same fixture.

17. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this will be a tough game...Espanyol has given us a tough time as of late..I am confident of a win, but more of the close, hard fough 2-1 kind...nailbiter to the end.

18. Godinho10

Godinho10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 19, 2005
    Sylvinho wont play either.

19. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I know what shirt I'll be buying next fall!

20. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to eurosport (which means probably not 100% correct ;))
    Starters
    1 Victor Valdés
    2 Juliano Belletti
    23 Joan Oleguer
    5 Carles Puyol
    12 G. van Bronckhorst
    24 Andrés Iniesta
    20 A. De Souza "Deco"
    15 J. Edmilson
    19 Leo Messi
    10 R. Ronaldinho
    9 Samuel Eto'o

Substitutes :
    25 Albert Jorquera
    17 Mark van Bommel
    3 Thiago Motta
    7 Henrik Larsson
    8 Ludovic Giuly
    18 G. García "Gabri"
    14 S. Ezquerro

21. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starters:
    13 C. Kameni
    21 Daniel Jarque
    4 Alberto Lopo
    18 Didier Domi
    19 P. Zabaleta
    17 Juanfran Torres
    9 Iván De la Peña
    6 Eduardo Costa
    A. Álvarez "Ito"
    10 L. García Fernández
    23 Raúl Tamudo
    Substitutes :
    24 Jonathan Soriano
    20 Ferrán Corominas
    15 Fredson Camara
    1 Gorka Iraizoz
    11 Jofre Mateu
    Armando Sá
    5 M. Pochettino
    25 Martín Posse

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am confident in Barca's lineup.

As for Espanyol, hopefully Kameni doesn't think he has an S on his chest again. Ito, Tamudo, and De La Peña must be controlled.

23. schierding

schierding New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Belletti AND van Bronckhorst... Let's hope their forwards dosen't have a good day.

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. schierding

schierding New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Karmeni has been insanely inconsistent this season. Remeber the Osasuna game where he basically gifted them two goals. That said, he might be their hero tonight, he sure was last season in the Nou Camp.