Matchday 15: ATL vs Crew SC, 7/24/21

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jul 23, 2021.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs Columbus Crew
    Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    Saturday, July 24, 3:30
    ABC

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com United home page here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    Crew Preview here.

Player Availability
    Atlanta
    • OUT: Emerson Hyndman (torn ACL)
    • OUT: Franco Ibarra (lower body)
    • OUT: Mo Adams (left quad)
    • OUT: George Bello (international duty)
    • OUT: Brad Guzan (international duty)
    • OUT: Miles Robinson (international duty)
    • OUT: Ezequiel Barco (international duty)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Jurgen Damm (lower body) *
    Columbus
    • OUT: Aidan Morris (left knee)
    • OUT: Artur (right hip)
    • OUT: Milton Valenzuela (right thigh)
    • OUT: Vito Wormgoor (right thigh)
    • OUT: Luis Diaz (international duty)
    • OUT: Gyasi Zardes (international duty)
    • OUT: Liam Fraser (international duty)
    • QUESTIONABLE: Josh Williams (left ankle)

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, for moments on Wednesday Atlanta was on the front foot and many of us actually felt excited again. So tinges of hope rebound, but we need to be realistic, as well: Columbus is a different calibre of opponent than FCC, which is known for surrendering shots easily.

So, Saturday expect a blend of Atlanta trying to stay aggressive but recognizing they'll need to be that much more mindful of their opposition's key strengths. In this case, that begins with Lucas Zelarayan, the midfield dynamo who is very much their Almiron. He's fast, direct, and good in all parts of the pitch, and he's a great partner ahead of Nagbe, allowing Columbus to usually dictate the flow of a match, even when they're not bossing possession. Without Zardes their strike force is slightly compromised, but they're still good at diagonal runs and through balls to force defensemen to change marks or lose their men. From what I've seen in 2021, they've played similarly to Atlanta's '19 playoff run, with an emphasis on pressure in their own defensive third and then sweeping advances to push the whole of an opponent back. Injuries and international absences have stifled some of their development this year but they're still arguably among the favorites for the east.

For Atlanta, I'm looking for more from Josef, possibly even a start, and for better combinations among Sosa and Sejdic to influence the middle of the pitch. Roberson thinks Mulraney will still start since he's producing chances and allows Moreno to stay central. Not sure if Chol will make way for someone else (Wolff?) or if Hernandez will get another start, but the players will need to do better in man-marking than Wednesday (remember how Cincy was able to force Kann into saves?) and work to restore the degree of possession Heinze favored.

If the home crowd has a fervor any better than last week then that will help, as the fans have definitely helped United's home form compared to 2020. The Crew will remain favored but Atlanta will hope they'll feel some travel fatigue while the Stripes can apply some of that new-coach bounce. Fingers crossed we at least put on a good show for the fans on national TV.

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to a Crew game at Crew Stadium this year. They're good. I'm not expecting us to win this one.

So, my prediction is a 3-0 victory for Atlanta United because Atlanta scores a freak goal in the opening minutes and Columbus has to chase the game for 75 minutes before they give up a breakaway goal, a red card, and a stoppage time garbage goal.

Because MLS.

GunnerJacket and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Josef starts!

Also, Chol, Hernandez, and Rossetto in the First XI today.

5. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They chose a very interesting game to have the upper deck open.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No Zelarayan in the starting XI for Crew. With him and Zardes out Columbus is relying on BWP up top.
    Won't be a full stadium, but given the lingering pandemic that's arguably a good thing.

I'm guessing they sold some tickets early knowing this was an ABC game and can't really take them back.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 0-0

Overall a bright performance. Both teams have had quality chances and could have 2 or 3 each.

Josef looks good and changes the dynamic of the attack, and clearly his presence alone has energized the team and the fans, who are in MUCH better form than last week.

Mulraney had to be subbed off with an injury around the 32' mark, but was at least able to walk off. Lopez on in relief.

Rossetto has done fair for him, but needs to be more aggressive pushing forward.

Chol showing more focus today, as well. Needs to either bulk up so he can better fight for 50/50 balls or work on his quickness both with and without the ball.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Trick now is to not let Zelarayan come on late and flip the match.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FT: 0-1

Columbus scored off a corner that was meekly marked. Take away that and Atlanta had the better of the match, I say.

Moreno continues to look better, Josef wasn't quite 100% but was much more effective, and despite stepping up in class of opponent from Wednesday they still produced more chances and got off more shots than they did under Heinze.

Like that Valentino used all of his subs, even though Damm didn't really have the positive impact I hoped. He went for the win and the fans appreciated that intent.

The crowd was also MUCH better. Josef's presence helped, and the energized play resonated with the fans. This felt more like the vintage AU scene.

Last week I was mad, but today I'm just sorry for the team because they deserved better. But if they play like this more regularly they'll win more than they lose.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't win, but I was entertained. I enjoyed going to the game.

They still can't score though. There were a couple good saves, but I still don't have any faith in anyone shooting the ball besides Josef. It looks better, but they have a lot of room to grow before they're good again, and by that time I'm afraid the hole will be too big to dig out of to make the playoffs.

GunnerJacket and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I almost want to say they crashed the gate on the right with three bodies and pretty much ran a pick on the defender trying to mark.

I have no beef with our play today. We looked better, maybe just knowing things have changed.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The consensus among the crowd after the match was that the team looked way better, even though we lost. The crowd was into it today, too.

GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, a playoff push might be out of the question. Right now I'm looking for continues improvement, more chances created than under Heinze, and a feeling out of the roster that says we have pieces to work with headed into next season. Show me the semblance of a plan coming together.

That and a healthier Josef rounding into form.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Team looks better. Certainly not an embarassment to watch anymore, dare I say I actually enjoyed watching yesterday. Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel?
    [​IMG]

GunnerJacket repped this.
  15. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is. Obviously, we'll have to find some form. But we're 8 points out of playoff position with 19 games left to play. We have the fewest losses of any team below the playoff line (also the fewest wins).

If we continue to play like we did against Columbus, and if somebody -- anybody -- can find the back of the net even occasionally, then 8 points isn't too much to ask. A transfer or two wouldn't hurt, either. This roster isn't going to win MLS Cup, but I do think it can get back to respectability.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the team can play well enough to be worthy of the nod, I just don't know if the other teams ahead of Atlanta will drop enough points.

Put simply, all the matches that they relied on Cubo up top have cost the team too many points.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New match thread will be up late tonight. Currently in scenic Blairsville for a work mtg.

Auriaprottu and SabreKhan repped this.