PBP: Matchday 14: E34.Cameroon-New Zealand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by blissett, Jun 20, 2019.

1. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    Oh boy just wait until Thailand wins 1-0 hahaha

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80' 1-1 Bowen chests ball at 22m right touch, touches back to 24m wide right, swings left instep cross to 9m right post, inswinging too severely to reach White up centerline. Awona swings waist-high left roundhouse to clear, not high enough, ball glances off her upper left shin (above shinguard, below knee), skips under Ngo Ndom's left hand into 1/4 right back low. It's scored as an own goal, even though Bowen's cross was already on-frame.

84' 1-1 Cameroon subs in (2 of 3) #14 Ninon Abena for #10 Jeannette Yango.
    88' 1-1 New Zealand subs in (3 of 3) #10 Annalie Longo for #22 Olivia Chance.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    reverse Anschluss

*playing for a draw to then go home (together)

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I am unimpressed with the urgency. Hope I'm reverse jinxing it again.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 Gilmoy, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    90+2' (of +5') 1-1 Aboudi Onguene heads square right to box top center, Takounda settles and shoots left instep low half-volley, wide right low.

90+3' (of +5') 1-1 Aboudi Onguene shoots from arc tangent left, wide right low.

90+4'49" (of +5') 2-1 Meffometou heads upfield at circle back wide left, Takounda half-volleys over Bowen caught way up past midfield. Aboudi Onguene back-heads at circle top wide left to Nchout behind Percival through 28m box left -- suddenly Cameroon have a 5-v-2 :speechless: Nchout dribbles to 17m mid-left, cuts back to arc left and fakes right foot shot, Percival lunges down for a flying block. Nchout cuts back, touches to 12m 3-left, shoots right instep bend perfectly around Nayler, into back right low. New Zealand bravely sent 9 forward for a winner, and the turnover beat them all.

FT 2-1 :alien: Cameroon advance! New Zealand and Argentina are eliminated, Nigeria are on the bubble.

lil_one, soccernutter and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
  7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Nchout miracle. Tries to create space for a right-footed shot from 18', correctly bails on that as defender desperation lunge would have blocked it, cuts back to the left, puts it back on her right foot and shoots low far corner before the defense can react and Nayler can only block so much of the goal. Amazing. Fifth minute of stoppage.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Everyone Cameroon player hugs and kisses Nchout: she's everyone's darling right now! :p

(Well, of course except for Argentina, Thailand and Chile...)

9. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    ahhhhh so close to a tie. Poor argentina and Thailand and Chile

blissett repped this.
  10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    If Chile beats Thailand 3-0, both Chile and Cameroon would be 3 points and 3 goals for 5 against. Don't even know the next tiebreaker.

Let's assume Thailand wins by 15 anyway.

11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Or I guess Cameroon is already ahead of Nigeria, who has only scored 2?

blissett repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I believe this makes Cameroon the first African team to advance out of the group stage in consecutive tournaments. And what a way to do it!

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    Fair play?

14. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Cameroon are through.

-- goals scored
    -- fair play points

MiLLeNNiuM and jagum repped this.
  15. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Nop.

Chile only need to win 3-0 and goes to the next round. Chile would have 3-5 = -2 and Nigeria already has 2-4 = -2
    But Chile with more goals scored would qualified

blissett repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit late on this one...

blissett repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, man, Oguene rubbed me wrong...on both goal celebrations, she had to be the center of attention over the goal scorer.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Really? I'll have to rewatch that! I was watching the other game and I missed a lot of details from this one!

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ajara Nchout is today's hero, with both goals that allow Cameroom to advance. Apparently she plays in Norway right now, in Vålerenga (after stints in Sweden, and even in NWSL, at Western New York Flash! I didn't remember that! :eek:). @Bauser, what can you say to us about her? Was she brilliant in Toppserien?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the game:

I'd like to watch additional footage of Cameroon's celebrations: it looks like it could have been fun.

21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I write her name as Ajara Njoya, but may be she uses Nchout more. :confused: She's been a key player. She scored 15 goals last year in Toppserien for Sandviken, when she was one of the break-out players in the league. Then moved to Vålerenga before this season and has scored three goals in spring season before the World Cup break. There was an interview with her on NRK a few weeks ago when she talked about how popular the Cameroon WNT is back home. She seems to have settled down well in Norway.

blissett repped this.