PBP: Matchday 14: E33.Netherlands-Canada

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by blissett, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Lmao. No mames. Granny scores.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :rolleyes:

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Several times on the counter, she was passed the ball and missed it because she’s too damn slow. Show me where I’m wrong.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're not wrong. She just happened to score, that's all! :laugh:

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This happens every time I talk junk about a player. Watch her score a Hattrick.

6. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Beerensteyn! van Lunteren with quality service.

7. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Canada:

shots on goal: 2
    goals: 1

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 Gilmoy, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    68' 1-1 Canada subs in (1 of 3) #19 Adriana Leon for #12 Christine Sinclair.
    69' 1-1 Canada subs in (2 of 3) #8 Jayde Rivière for #2 Allysha Chapman.

70' 1-1 Netherlands subs in:
    - (1 of 3) #19 Jill Roord for #8 Sherida Spitse
    - (2 of 3) #21 Lineth Beerensteyn for #11 Lieke Martens.

75' 2-1 Beerensteyn dribbles to arc top 6-left, pass square right to Miedema at arc tangent left. Miedema spins centerward away from Schmidt, passes to van Lunteren at 15m box right. van Lunteren touches to 7m box right, ground cross outswings through 5m 1/3 right, Labbé dives just-late and misses :eek: Ball continues untouched to 4m 1/3 left, Beerensteyn back-cuts Buchanan and lunge-pokes into center back low. Good sub!

79' 2-1 Canada subs in (3 of 3) #5 Rebecca Quinn for #10 Desiree Scott.

MiLLeNNiuM, Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I think van Dongen's made a pretty good case for herself as a starter at left back. I thought Martens was definitely better today, but Beerensteyn is proving to be a pretty good super sub and will hope to get a start next match.

Edit: Groenen had a bright start at holding mid, but she was badly beaten by Leon on the dribble and now had that poor crossfield attempt.

10. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Service info post:

Rebecca Quinn /= Giulia Gwinn

11. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just tuned in. Beckie just missed a great chance at the end of the cross.

12. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Netherlands have received 2 undeserved yellows.

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 Gilmoy, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    90+4' (of +4') 2-1 Labbé catches high at 5m 1/5 right. Canada probe up wide right, cross cleared into far touch.

90+4' (of +4') 2-1 Beckie shoots from ~box top wide left, into left side netting.

FT 2-1. Netherlands take E1!

Netherlands 8(3)-(2)12 shots(sog), 0-1 corners, 2-2 offsides, 14-6 fouls, 9-21 tackles, 3-14 clearances, 48% possession, 74% (316/429) - (295/405) 73% passing. Ultimately, they created more chances? Odd that neither team created any corners -- maybe both defenses are so strong that they don't need to clear balls backward.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations Japan! You get the Dutch in R16 as a reward.

... uhh, I got that backwards. ;)

blissett repped this.
  15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Shaky two or three minutes in the second half and not one of her standout games, but I thought Groenen showed great drive and was solid defensively for a lot of this match. Best match I've seen from Spitse for a while now, and Beerensteyn and Roord had solid cameos. Somewhat quiet game from the Netherlands' starting front three, but I thought they all put in decent work and had their moments. Dekker still scares me defensively, but she came up big with the opening goal. Thought van Dongen was pretty good defensively, and van Lunteren had the great cross for Beerensteyn's goal.

Decent game from Huitema, Sinclair scored again with a tidy run and finish, and Leon made a good case for herself in earning a start next match. (The commentators brought attention to Sinclair's defensive work ethic in the first half; not sure if it was that noteworthy.)

MiLLeNNiuM and Frysk Bloed repped this.
  16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I'm pretty sure it's goals scored. They'd jump above Nigeria.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

18. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Though the Dutch defence looks a little shaky that was the best game they've played this tournament so far. They looked very sharp and ready to take anyone on.

Canada weren't terrible and will be a handful for anyone in the knockouts.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The four best teams among those ranked third will be determined as follows:
    a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
    b) goaldifferenceresultingfromallgroupmatches;
    c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches;
    d) highestteamconductscorerelatingtothenumberofyellowandredcards obtained in all group matches and calculated as per step 2 g) above;
    e) drawing of lots by FIFA.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can't see Japan win this one in any way. I have to just hope the score won't be too much punishing. :unsure:

Frysk Bloed and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I thought that other than the first 12 minutes and last 8 minutes, the Dutch midfield bossed this game. Groenen, Spitse and Van De Donk were excellent; they didn't create a lot in attack--though they tried-- but they were active and very good defensively and really kept Canada on its heels for much of the match.

Van Dongen and Van Lunterern played smart and solid, especially given that they are not as pacey as the Canada outside banks. When Canada fell behind, Lawrence became more aggressive in attack and she gave the Dutch some problems. That was a nice scoring play by Canada and a very good finish by Sinclair. Miedema didn't get a lot of chances against an excellent back four but she played well and I thought was a half step or so from getting in on goal on two or three occasions.

Beerensteyn is more physical than Martens and I think she will play a key role for the Dutch going forward--she is a good player. She started and finished the game-winning play.

For all the well-deserved talk about their forwards and attack, The Dutch are a tough-minded group and considerably better defensively than they are given credit for. It was a good win against a good Canada team.

MiLLeNNiuM, Frysk Bloed and Ethan Frank repped this.
  22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Pretty much spot on. We've come to expect that effort and commitment all the time from Groenen and van de Donk, but Spitse took her game to a higher level this match.

Frysk Bloed repped this.
  23. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I do think the Dutch midfield controlled that game super well. Their midfield in general is underrated if anything; so far Martens and van de Sanden have been pretty underwhelming and Vivianne has been pretty hot and cold. If I had to pick one player that has been their best so far over the 3 games it's Groenen (though as mentioned their defenders have not been horrible, despite looking shaky at times). My biggest concern is the RB on the Dutch defence...she looked very overmatched and made a lot of mistakes, but so far they've covered for her mostly.

Beerensteyn has been great and deserves most of the credit for that goal. She started and finished it.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Probably still the easiest route to the semifinals. Japan don't look anywhere near as good as the previous two WCs.