Matchday 13: ATL vs NER, 7/17/21

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jul 16, 2021.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, but I think this will be true of any coach we'd want to hire right now. We've experimented twice and failed both times. Time to go back to proven production. And the answer to your question is "Because we're going to pay him dump trucks full of money."

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Honk if you managed at AUFC..." It's like how Bama went thru a bunch of coaches after Stallings, trying to get back to their regular glory, and it took a while before Saban came along...

There were other players in Heinze's doghouse, and I've heard that the MLSPA was involved over some of the training sessions.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    repped

live, I thought Buksa handled it, but on the replay, he clearly didn't.

That would be a fascinating hire, in that the MLS isn't like the a typical soccer league, where there are tiers, so Tottenham will hire away Wolves' manager. I know Bradley left the Fire for the Metrostars, but a) that was a hell of a long time ago and b) he was going home. Also, Juan Carlos Osorio got hired away, again from the Fire to the Metrostars.

Has that happened any other time, where a coach had a job with one MLS team got hired away by another?

GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think so. Some big names have had multiple jobs in MLS but I feel certain all those were done with the manager leaving/being dismissed from Job A first, then landing elsewhere. Porter left Portland then took a year off before landing in Columbus. Vanney left Toronto of his own before (allegedly) any contact from LA. Don't recall Schmid being pulled away...

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So lets assume Uncle Aurther helicopters in and drops pallets of cash on Pareja's front lawn, is that enough to entice him to come?

Also, does anyone know the league rules on approaching another team's coach? I would assume we can't even talk to him until the season is over.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Sigi didn't go to Seattle because the latter was a bigger club. He went to Seattle because he was a West Coast guy. Wikipedia says JCO went from the Fire to the MetroStars for family reasons.

I think in general MLS fans exaggerate the influence of Garber and his staff, in order to excuse failings at their own club. But in this case, I'll bet you that Garber & Co. would work vigorously behind the scenes to keep ATL from hiring away Pareja, because such a move would put the lie to the MLS premise that everyone is on an even level.

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, yes.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Technically speaking coaches who are under contract are forbidden to discuss other jobs, same as players. They typically have agents, however...

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    ... I just don't see any scenario where we sign him. As SuperDave notes, the league will do anything in its power prevent us from poaching Pareja. Furthermore, Pareja has history with Luiz Muzzi (Orlando's <spit> Darren Eales equivalent). They worked together at Dallas, Pareja has a lot of control, an owner willing to spend, and he likes that they are building a youth system to rival the one he helped build in Dallas. Given all that I doubt we even approach him.

SabreKhan and GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We probably can't get him in reality. I really like Pareja, but I was mostly using him as an example of the type of coach to hire. Though, sticking it to Orlando is always a goal.

Auriaprottu and VFish repped this.
  12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    #37 VFish, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Exactly the type of hire we need, but it will never happen. The time to sign Pareja was 2019.

But plucking him from Orlando would be a so awesome, so I'm willing to keep the day dream alive. Emo tears are bitter, but Orlando tears are sweet.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So who is the "next" Pareja?

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Frank de Boer is available. Sorry.... I'll show myself out.

15. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did win trophies here...

VFish repped this.
  16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    ... and was a missed PK from hosting the MLS Cup.

17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dreadful football with great players.