PBP: Matchday 10: F23.USA - Chile

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 16, 2019.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :thumbsup: You're right, but I seemed to recall seeing a lot of USA jerseys and flags and the volume seemed lopsided in USA's favor. Who knows, maybe it was my bias and not reality. :whistling::D

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what saw of the crowd, it looked very US.
    And I am familiar with how Chile looks, have a jersey in my closet.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to put Endler's name on it :)

CoachJon, soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I am just now able to watch the game, and WOW this Endler girl is good!! Why on earth didn’t she play at a bigger D1 college then USF!? She’s ridiculous

blissett repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile, in the second half, played to not get scored on any more. If they got a clearance, they had at most one player to receive they ball who had to wait for reinforcements. I thought they were playing for a chance to beat Thailand, possibly improving their goal differential enough (unlikely) to push their way into the knockout rounds.

And, as the second half wore on the US did what the complainers said they should have done after the Thailand game: passed the ball around a lot, making it a pretty boring half.

JimWharton and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a good number of Chile fans, but the US fans far outnumbered them. However, from the two games I've been at so far, the other fans (Chile/Cameroon) are far more exuberant and expressive than US/Canada fans.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think she's divisive because of her personality, but divisive because of the worshipful admiration she inspires from her fans. She seems a pleasant and gentlemanly (gentlewomanly?) person in person and on the field.

If you go over to the Equalizer forum you will find bitter arguments about Press. Some think she is better than Morgan; others that she only scores against tomato cans -- and never in big games.

I thought she was terrible as a wing player in the beginning, but she has learned and is now pretty good -- but her natural position is center forward. She's a great athlete.and gets many style points, but I wouldn't replace Morgan, Rapinoe or Heath with her as a starter.

blissett repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know. One thing I have found is that if Chile is playing in, say Anchorage, AK, Chileans who live from Fairbanks to New York City will find a way to get to the match.

kolabear, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.