Matchday 1: FC Porto vs. Liverpool FC [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by YNWAYNWA, Sep 10, 2007.

1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Re: CL Matchday 1 at Porto

The team by AussieLFCfan looks likely to me. Torres and Gerrard are certain to come in, as is Mascherano.

Rafa wants to win this match. Porto are probably the most dangerous opponents in the Group, so a win over them would give the Reds control of the group. Liverpool beat Porto in the UEFA Cup in 2001. Both teams have pedigree in this tournament, both historically and recently, so it should be a tasty match.

Going into this match I am very confident of getting at least a draw and maybe even a convincing win. Liverpool are looking very strong this season and will be confident of giving the Portuguese a tough match. Of course Porto have been in good form themselves and will have identified us as the number one threat in the group.

I am not too familiar with the Portuguese domestic games and so cannot identify any dangers in the Porto side. Quaresma is a name but other than him I do not really know their side at all. Perhaps some Portuguese poster (or someone with some current indepth knowledge of Portuguese football) can give a heads up of the likely formation and dangers posed by the Porto side.

I am looking forward to this game and hope that in this match and the Birmingham game we can put down a marker for the season.

2. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa

I didn't mean to say Rafa was looking for a 0-0, just wanted to point how important it would be for 'our' team to see this game as a final and therefore, anything but a win is acceptable. If so, this could become a relaxed CL group stage for Liverpool, making EPL as prime target until the end of the year.
    Not seing Liverpool inside the box playing for 0-0 either.

Porto is always tough at home and this squad in particular, although not as blilliant as other Porto teams, has a lot of solutions. Their weakest link is the coach.

3. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Definitely like AussieLFCs teamsheet.

Good thing Aurelio is back, because we were looking a little thin with defensive substitutes at the back.

4. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto

i think fabios gonna feature:

Pepe

arbs sami agger fabio

pen SG mash babel

kuyt Torres

finnan and cara are recently injured and played on sat. sami and fabio can pick up the load. crouchie, alonso, benayoun, veronin and itjande.

i wouldnt even be suprised if he started kuyt and crouch and kept torres for the prem.

5. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown

Porto is weakest in centre of defence definatly with the loss of Pepe, as pedro emmanuel is very slow and old, although he might miss the match so Joao Paulo will replace him.

Joao Paulo is a tough no shit defender, although untested at this level, very strong physically, but I have my doubts about his ability to defend a skillfull forward such as Torres.

their rightback is Bosingwa, portugal international and superb fullback, right now hes on better form then Miguel, and is a fast skillfull player who is also solid defensivly.

Bruno Alves is another solid player in defense, portugeuse international, and kind of in the mold of Jorge Costa, very strong in the air, good anticipation and tackling, but not alot of pace.

Fucile is the leftback, urugauy international, and was urugauys best player in copa america voted to team of the tournement. He links up well with quaresma in attacking down the left

Assuncao is their defensive midfielder, probably the best d-mid in portugal bar sportings miguel veloso, superb player that always performs well in Europe, dominating arsenals and chelseas midfield last year.

Very good tackling and ball recovery attributes, also able to move the ball around superbly, and although he doesnt get alot of fame I think hes the most important player besides Quaresma on porto.

Lucho Gonzalaz is a Argentina international, very good box to box midfielder, very skillfull and strong, with a powerful shot and strong creative play, he makes a fantastic duo with assuncao as it lets him roam forward.

Raul Meireles- although scolari repeatidly calls him up, hes not that good and shouldnt be nowhere near the ntl team, a decent solid player who tries hard every game, but no more then that.

Lisandro Lopez- Argentina international, very good striker, physical with good heading and shooting capabilities, plays with his heart and has the skill to get by players as well.

Portos best forward.

Leandro Lima- i think he will start as tarik is in doubt with injury, and this may be a blessing in disguise as tarik is average, but leandro lima is a top brazilian prospect.

Typical brazilian attacking midfielder, very creative with alot of flair, although the end product is lacking a bit.

Ricardo Quaresma- Most important player on the team, quick and skillfull with superb crossing, and is to porto what ronaldo is to united.

The problem is he suffers from heavy man marking alot, and as shown vs chelsea last year, if he gets bullied around a bit from a double team he gets frustrated easily and it throws him off his game.

Still, a very dangerous player who is a man on a mission the past few years to make a name for himself after that known bust up with rijkaard.

Shut him down and portos attack isnt half as dangerous.

Nuno will be their starting goaltender as Helton, as the brazilian international is injured. Nuno is decent I guess, but nowhere near Heltons quality.

Hope that helps, Porto have a very capable squad, but the loss of Pepe in defense is a massive blow, and lisandro lopez plays best as a support striker, but will be forced to play striker as postiga is injured, and their new signing from Argentina Ernesnto Farias isnt 100% match fit yet.

If Liverpool can contain Quaresma and not give Lucho and Lisandro time on the ball they will get away with a good result, although beware of Fucile and Bosingwas runs, as they join the attack often overlapping down the flanks, which could open up space for dangerous counter attacks for Torres and co to exploit.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Thank you for that breakdown of Porto....let's hope we can put the preasure on Porto early on. The way to beat a team like that is to keep them off the ball for as long as possible. I can't wait to see how we're going to deal with Quaresma.

7. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Thanks for the info.

8. CorDeSang

CorDeSang Member

May 23, 2007

If Bosingwa is solid defensively then I'm the Pope.

Bosingwa in one of those fullbacks who think they are wingers. I suggest you exploit this. (All their defenders are crap, by the way.)

Raul Meireles used to be crap but lately he's been showing a lot of improvement. Watch out for his long-range shooting.

Beware of diving OUTSIDE the box. Quaresma is a fine free-kick taker, that's something they'll try to capitalise upon.

Good luck. You can and should win this game. :cool:

9. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown

Bosingwa isnt solid on defense?! Yes thats why not one player from poland or serbia managed to dribble him in portugals recent matches. Hes a hell of alot more solid then Nelson from benfica thats for sure.

Might not be saying much though:D

Meireles is a utility player, nothing more. Whoever Liverpool put out should eat him alive.

10. stanaccrington

Jan 4, 2005
  11. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    For those interested, I've created a league on the above mentioned site.

League Name: Big Soccer League
    Password: Rafa

Get your picks in!

12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I've joined up. I am rubbish at guessing the teams though so will likely stay bottom. :(

15. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an unavoidable meeting today -- I'd tell you where, but I'd have to shoot you --- so I am tivoing the match and will watch it tonite. All of which means I will be avoiding the threads from 7PM GMT until about midnight GMT.
    Come on you Reds!

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Just make sure that they don't shoot you!

11:30 -2pm PST isnt the best time for me either so I'm DVRing also. I'm also 110% confident that I won't run into anyone who will inadvertantly blurt out the score.

Champions League....are the Mariners playing today..?

YNWA L I V E R P O O L !

17. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    for those stateside and stuck at work (and you insomniacs)

Tue Sep 18 04:00PM Pacific
    Tue Sep 18 05:00PM Mountain
    Tue Sep 18 06:00PM Central
    Tue Sep 18 07:00PM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr SDD
    ESPN Deportes
    UEFA Champions League
    Porto (Portugal) vs Liverpool (England)

Tue Sep 18 11:00PM Pacific
    Wed Sep 19 12:00AM Mountain
    Wed Sep 19 01:00AM Central
    Wed Sep 19 02:00AM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr SDD
    ESPN Deportes
    UEFA Champions League
    Chelsea (England) vs Rosenborg (Norway)

Wed Sep 19 01:00AM Pacific
    Wed Sep 19 02:00AM Mountain
    Wed Sep 19 03:00AM Central
    Wed Sep 19 04:00AM Eastern
    Length: 2 hr R
    ESPN Deportes
    UEFA Champions League
    Porto (Portugal) vs Liverpool (England)

18. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    starting team

His team in full is: Reina, Arbeloa, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Babel, Pennant, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt. Subs to follow.

19. RCCook

RCCook New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Starting lineup has been posted- still waiting on the subs:

Reina

Arbs-Hyypia-Carra-Finnan

Babel-Mascherano-Gerrard-Pennant

Torres-Kuyt

I have to conduct a training class this afternoon, so I'm missing the match as well. At least it's on TV, so I can DVR it...

20. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    our subs:

Itandje
    Agga
    Voronin
    Yossi
    Fabio
    Crouchinho
    Lucas

Porto:
    Nuno
    Alves
    Assuncao
    Quaresma
    Lucho G
    Lisandro
    Bosingwa
    Fucile
    Joao Paulo
    Meireles
    Sektioui

21. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    9 for 11. Scary. People im dialed in this year so far. Finnan and Cara i thought he'd rest them due to recent injurys but he rested Agger and kept Fabio on the bench.

Go team. Gooooal please.

22. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Uncomfortable start for the Reds.

23. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    That's a good looking starting XI. I only hope Hyypia doesn't get exposed for pace. Hopefully one of you fine people will be gracious enough to do comms for the match? Tragically, I'm in the office.

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Flippin' heck. That was close. A sloppy clearance by Finnan who is looking a bit ragged. We've hardly been out o four box. 4 minutes.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quaresma is causing all sorts of problems on the right. Hyypia done for pace and a penalty conceded. Gonzalez puts it. A deserved goal and we are rocking on our feet.