Matchday 1: April 24, RSL @ Minnesota United

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Apr 19, 2021.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here goes...

Ash Ish rightly pointed out in the season thread, there are legitimate doubts on this game actually happening. The MSP area has had plenty happening and some of that will come to a head with the expected Chauvin ruling this week.

Assuming we somehow get a soccer game, I think Freddy goes with the LAG preseason lineup with the 61' subs and GK rotation. Meaning:

Rubin
    Rusnak Kreilach Julio
    Luiz Ruiz
    Toia Glad Silva Herrera
    Putna

Bench: Ochoa, Holt, Brody, Besler, Chang, Meram, Dougy

It's not a terrible lineup, but I struggle to see where it beats a talented Minnesota team. Especially with our terrible history at Minnesota. I had a really hard time making out the bench, too, as I just don't know who Freddy see's as the depth in some spots. Does Morgan go above Brody? Powder? Portillo vs Besler? is Jeizon below Chang and Meram and Dougy?

I'm predicting a 2-0 loss if we play. Minnesota looked good against Seattle until the golazo, then it all fell apart.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope springs eternal. Violence likelihood definitely down after that verdict.

15 to 32, rslfanboy, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  3. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm really excited for this game. Mostly because it means MSP is calm and finding some peace in justice now. I have no idea what is going to happen but my increasing anticipation for an exciting opener is most likely to lead to a 0-0 draw.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Now I'm excited, because Boris is back!

Ismitje repped this.
  5. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Haha. I am indeed a bit of a lurker. It's been a wild year. Left job in July. Found another for next July. Homeschooling two teenagers. Moved from Thailand to US. Getting ready to move to Singapore in July. Didn't get Covid (yet?). Read lots of books.

I'm actually really looking forward to the normalcy of RSL, even if they struggle. I may even get to some games before I leave the country again in July.

6. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Minnesota just got spanked 4-0 by the Sounders. I see this game going one of two ways: 1) Their coach is dumb enough to try a high press, again, for 90 minutes in the first matches of the season 2) They are pissed from their first match and we're in trouble. Let's hope the former.

boris9678, goobx1 and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't the Minnesota pundits expected largely because they've done nothing to replace Molino. However, Reynoso is a player and will make things happen. Seattle looked incredibly impressive, in my book, and should be talked about on that side more than the poor performance from Minn.

This is MLS, though, so who knows. Maybe we go there and win 7-0 and Freddy uses all 5 subs before stoppage time.

evilradar and goobx1 repped this.
  9. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    RSL last in the power rankings....

It feels like RSL has history of often falling to "trap" games against lower ranked teams that should be easy wins. Can they flip the script and make RSL the early season MLS trap?

Minnesota will likely be fired up after their last performance. That fire could turn to frustration and flustered failure if RSL gets an early goal or even keeps them from scoring in the first half. Or it can turn into an RSL drubbing. Hoping for the former.

10. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite all our issues, this is not the worst MLS team. RSL might be one of the worst-run franchises, but the talent/effort has earned enough points to be 30th/40th percentile.

Allez RSL repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, excitement is starting to build at Casa Ismtije, so much so that I just want the lineups to be posted to social media. Refresh, refresh, refresh . . .

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so . . .

Ochoa

Herrera Glad Silva Toia

Everton Ruiz

Julio Kreilach Rusnak

Rubin

Bench: MacMath; Holt, Morgan, Brody; Besler, Meram, Chang, Portillo; Douglas

13. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Two mild surprises for me:
    • Ochoa starting at first of season - interested to see how he does with first few challenges
    • Rusnak named captain over Kreilach
    Neither are earth shattering, but mildly surprising.

Unfortunately not surprising, but Jeizon not in 18 again. Bust? Injury?

Allez RSL and evilradar repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a gameday 20 man roster still (it's a Covid-era change I hope stays, along with the five subs), so it's even more noteworthy.

Putna is #3, then?

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on how we started, I expect a shot on goal every 75 seconds from this team all year long. :)

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really unclear how Anderson Julio didn't get a shot off there. Well-timed run from him and sweet little ball from Ruiz.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty poor defense on that one - how you end up with a Loon that open with four defenders central is a mystery - but Lod put it wide.

18. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    It would be really awesome if we had a DP on the field

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albert?

20. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a first game of the year - two or three hmmms amidst a sea of Yikes. Loons will probably continue to overload right by running backs and midfielders into exchanges against RSL’s Toia/Silva left side.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Julio with a goal!

RSLer repped this.
  22. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - we haven’t had a speedy counterattack like that in a while - back to defensive yikes

Ismitje repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was as exciting a breakaway as we've had in years. Five on three. The Minnesota defense could have cleared it with more authority, but our numbers meant any ball that was deflected was likely to drop to one of our players.

RoyalNonesuch and RSLer repped this.
  24. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Even the Minnesota broadcast team thought that was a yellow-worthy challenge from Trapp.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Ref allowed advantage and would have called the Yellow if Julio had missed the shot.