Match thread - Euro 2024: Portugal vs Czechia

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by artielange84, Jun 16, 2024.

1. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    This can't be ignored they really did sit deep. This is not easy to break down but other teams that lack their height in the group would be foolish to try the same I mean even here it did not work.

2. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Where Portugal failed was penetration into the box . Ronaldo at times ( assuming instructed by the coach) came back to much early in the game so was not fast enough for the crosses from Leao for example . Bernard Silva never comes in . Always stays out in the perimeter . That leaves a Ronaldo alone . I have been saying all along to give this coach a chance and see what he can do, but this was poor coaching, misreading your apponent. Then he waits for th 90th minute to make changes . Omg . Nuno Mendes with Leao on that same side does not work . Bernardo can not play on the wing . I would much rather play with four defenders and add Joao Neves .

BatatasFritas and NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    #303 TorontoCalabria, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    I did not like the tactics at all. I give all the credit to the players for finding the points
    and zero to Martinez. They were fighting 2 wars one against Czechia and another against Martinez's odd tactics.

Playing a back 3 against a team with 1 or no striker has zero logical sense. I understand he tried to overload with fullbacks but there was a much simpler shape to be found. You're already outnumbered in their box and you basically put yourself down another man like this. It's like he was trying to go gung ho on one hand but was also afraid of the counter. He put them in no mans land just a long line of horizontal players stepping over each other. I think he let the Croatia game get in his head and this made him not trust a back 4 with Cancelo.

I would like to see something more like this and you have Jota for Leao and Neves for Bernardo depending on the situation. Cancelo gives you width on the right and Leao on the left. Mendes tucks in a bit and Pahlinha supports the backline.

----------------------------Costa
    Cancelo---------Pepe--------Dias-----------Mendes
    ---------------------------Pahlinha
    -------------- -Bernardo------------Vitinha
    -----------------------------Bruno
    -------------------Ronaldo---------Leao

Paposeco and NewLaw83 repped this.
  4. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Leao was terrible this game.....He has to improve his effort and his game.

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I thought Costa could have done better too but after watching a few replays, he stood no chance. Well placed shot with pace.

6. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    “This is his last euro, doesn’t matter if he is shit or doing nothing, he deserves to stand out there” this is the type of logic that annoys me. Who gives a shit who he is or what he’s done. Portugal should be doing whatever they can to win. The name on the back of the shirt doesn’t matter.

Also, not a single person is bad mouthing him. We’re just saying maybe, just maybe, his teammates are not jealous of him?

No player is above criticism. This 39 year old billionaire doesn’t need you guys defending his honour. Goddam.

You guys are acting like you’d rather see Ronaldo get the golden ball than Portugal win. Shit is nonsense.

Caldo Verde and money11 repped this.
  7. Ohbleeka

Ohbleeka Red Card

Sporting
    Portugal
    Mar 17, 2024
    Looks like we will be drawing Croatia or Italy in the round of 16 if we win our group, if we come second we play France most likely

8. Ohbleeka

Ohbleeka Red Card

Sporting
    Portugal
    Mar 17, 2024
    Nvm, likely Croatia sent home after today draw with Albania 2-2 and Albania third place.. We will probably draw Albania or a team from Group A

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Albania can still easily be last, they won't beat Spain or even draw.

But Croatia faces Italy, they can win but I doubt they will, and even if they draw, 2 points is probably not enough to be one of the best 3rd place teams

10. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have the hardest time believing anyone on the team is jealous of him. I feel like everyone on the team looks up to him. This Jealousy notion is something middle eastern Ronaldo fans say. They are always on the Portuguese national team instagram talking shit about the national team saying we are irrelevant without Ronaldo.

If anything, those non Portuguese Ronaldo fans are jealous that Ronaldo is one of us and not one of them.

11. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    These guys especially the young ones look up to him. Even someone like Bruno was only 10 in 2004 when Ronaldo came onto the scene. The really young guys only remember seeing him win Champions Leagues for Madrid.

12. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    uh you quoted yourself there. I said he earned the right to be out here because he has and I said he will not be dropped because he won't. I understand you're projecting because maybe someone else was saying silly things about people being jealous of him but yeah anyway he played well it's tough against a back 6.

don't get me wrong there is a valid argument that against top opponents he could hurt more than help if he does not have the legs as we saw in Qatar at times. if that's your concern then it's valid. he's never really been proven as a CF he is essentially being played out of position at this stage of his career.

because of his form in qualifying until he has a bad performance and/or Ramos comes off the bench and has a great one he simply won't be dropped so it's a moot point. they could rest Ronaldo in the next game and give Ramos a chance.

13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Qatar was a massive witch hunt, he had no preseason and was mostly benched by manure so hardly any game time under his belt

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Damn, that sucks. Sounds like he shouldn’t have been playing in a World Cup.

15. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    considering his age and easy qualifying group games i thought ronaldo played well, its the little things...... his head off the post, back heel to jota... had a quick turn and shot while in the box but more importantly his body language.... when we went down he was telling everyone to calm down and focus. that's what i like to see. portugals tournament will be based off of bernardo and brunos performances..... they are in their prime and our two "best" players expecting a 39yr ronaldo to win us games is ridiculous and not realistic, he's proven he can still put the ball in the net but needs service...... the tactics last game were extremely confusing midfield was slow, crowded and lacked movement cancelo had free range.... bruno was sloppy, mendes refused to attack players 1v1..... i didn't understand starting three fullbacks. We got lucky to scrap out a win. our two goals were extremely lucky. Not complaining ill take it.

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2003: Cristiano Ronaldo earns his first cap for Portugal, the same year that Sergio Conceição makes his final international appearance

2024: Sergio Conceição's 21-year-old son, Francisco, scores a 90+2' winner for Portugal at Euro2024 and celebrates with Ronaldo

Bacalhau, BatatasFritas and NewLaw83 repped this.
  17. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If our tournament chances rest solely upon Bruno and Bernardo, were fucked beyond belief

They're great players but the truth is we have a lot of difference makers on this squad.

money11 repped this.
  18. Ohbleeka

Ohbleeka Red Card

Sporting
    Portugal
    Mar 17, 2024
    This is crazy to think about. So Ronaldo played with Sergio at one point and now obviously Chico

19. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I was at the game, was awesome.

Czechs defended well in a block, Portugal didn’t have much space. If the chance Ronaldo had goes in the game turns out very different. They deserved to win that game.
    3 points is all the matters.

in saying that, Bernardo and Fernandes cannot play together again. Our bench is crazy good.

Here is my starting team for the next game.

Cancelo (or Dalot) Dias Pepe Mendes

Palhinha Fernandes

Vitinha

Jota Ronaldo Leão

Then use Neto and Conceição if we need a goal. Bernardo to hold a result etc.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  20. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    agreed, we got a lot of talented players that can be difference makers and thats fine for a moment of brilliance here and there, but if your "best" players arent performing i don't think we got a chance to win this thing, regardless if we have an easy path to the semis. Well see its only one game I'm not panicking yet.

NewLaw83 and artielange84 repped this.
  21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  23. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I've seen this from a different angle I think

Unless the dudes been caught hiding like that more than once? What are you doing my friend

24. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  25. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Just giving exposure to the three Portuguese soccer pundits on youtube. Follow them, like their content or give them a dislike, whatever.