Match Strategy / Tactics

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by bigbrooklynlou, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I don't think it matters, but let me look through some of my old games, back to the start of last season:

MOTS 3 games/no cards
    Normal 7 games/8 yellows/1 red (the red was for two yellows)
    PIC 8 games/7 yellows
    2 walkovers

I'd conclude that it doesn't matter.

2. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Maybe theres a reverse correlation. That MOTS lessens the chance of carding because it is "THe Match of the Season" and players are being more careful not to cause fouls and get ejected from the game and PIC lessens the effect somewhat. Maybe Normal just allows the players to express who they are, for good or for bad. ...

3. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I'd doubt a reverse correlation based just upon the sample size I have. Seeing as nothing in the rules mentions a correlation either way, and that a brief survey didn't show anything too out of the ordinary, I strongly doubt cards are affected by MOTS/Normal/PIC.

4. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're stuck with great wingers, well, they say that offense trumps defense in Hattrick, and wingers are a significant part of the offense. Furthermore, it's more difficult to shore up against evil wing attack ratings than it is to add a central defender or two to try to smack down a central-weighted attack.

5. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's an interesting question, what happens when a attack up the middle meets an attack on the wings? Do they cancle each other out or is one superior to the other in this conflict?

6. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each is pitting a strength against the opposition's weakness. The result, I expect, is that the better team has a slightly larger advantage than they usually would.

7. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Speaking of Stadium Expansion, I just went over 200K in the hole to raise my seating to 15K.

Staff, meet our new economist!

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Ok.. Arena question... I have forgotten the magical ratio...

Terraces:--------------7000
    Basic seating:----------2500
    Seats under roof:--------700
    Seats in VIP boxes:------250

This is what I have now... I have near $300,000 What would you guys suggest in terms of upgrading... I sell out my stadium pretty regularly and I expect to promote this season (finished 2nd last season) or at the least be very very competitive. Im in D6 this is my 2nd full season starting now.

My bit of advice to the lesser experienced players... what these guys are saying about youth squad and stadium increase is spot on... my youth squad is now solid and I sold someone for 70K recently which was sweet. I also have lots more money than I expected to have due to my bigger stadium as very recently I was in the red.

Everyone preaches shopping for bargains... do it... you might never get the diamond in the rough, but you can often find the decent player who can contribute to your team, or at the very least, be sold for abit more than you bought... especially look for these buys in the spot that you are training... I was presently suprised to see a guy who was just a back up and not a trainee pop and now he is someone who i can sell or keep as a good backup without losing anything if i sell a trainee.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two ways you can go about expanding your stadium. The factor I like to use, is the percentage ratio, which is about
    Terraces - 62.5%
    Basic seating - 25%
    Seats under roof - 10%
    Seats in VIP boxes - 2.5%

These are the percenages given to you by ht buddy, and that's what I've used for my expansion most of the time.

The other way to do it, is to multiply your supporters by a certain amount, I believe that amount is something like 35 or something, but I am probably totally off, that is what my buddy calculator says, but I may have accidently messed with it, causing the problem, so if anyone knows that exact number then they'd be better help.

On how much you should expand to, I think I got the addition right, and you have seating for 10.450. What I would do is over expand your stadium. The prices to add on to your stadium will double after this season. Therefore you'll want to make your stadium bigger so you don't have to deal with inflatted prices later. I'd say somewhere between 20-25K. But again that is my opinion on wanting to save money later. I plan on probably enlarging my 32K stadium to between 38 and 40K before this season ends to save money later.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As always, very helpful scoot. I think I'll wait till i have some more cash before i splurge because i don't want to pay any interest that i wont have to if i wait 6 weeks (im thinking of going for 25000 in one swoop). On second thoughts... I wont wait that long... probably just 3 weeks if so long... i will use the minimum for youth squad to cut out expenses now and get me some more seats... the idea is that i have been selling out for awhile and i want to be able to earn some money for when/if i promote.

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I would recommend against that. If you drop your youth contrib in any way, it will drop a level immediately.

If you have 300K you have more than enough money to expand your stadium, it's the only thing people say is "ok" to go into debt for. Also, if you are selling out your stadium it's time to upgrade...especially if you'll be winning a lot this season. Begin the upgrade 11-13 days before a home game so you won't spend and unnecessary maintenance costs.

12. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's OK to go into debt for it if, and only if, expanding will net you more crowd revenue (thus paying off the debt). With a possible exception for towards the end of this year, to get an expansion in before the price goes up.

13. bigbrooklynlou

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm gonna leave it up to the experts to help me decide this one.

Next week's league game is against the team that came in first last season and are at present on top of the leader board for my group. Do I MOTS or not?

The game numer to be played is: 29198353
    Division is : VI.212
    His preferred strategy : 3-5-2 with Attack on the wings and both Wingers Offensive. The back three play it Normal (He plays Wing Attack and 3-5-3 almost exclusively). 5 of his 11 players are Powerful. Below I'm comparing my numbers from the last match and his based on a sliiding table (see below)

__________Red Saxons_____Brooklyn Knights
    Midfield.........2.25.............1.75
    Right Def........3.25.............3.25
    Center Def.......3.50.............3.25
    Left Def.........3.75.............2.50
    Right Attk.......5.25.............4.25
    Central Attk.....4.00.............4.25
    Left Attk........4.75.............2.50

* I played my last game as a 3-4-3 with the WB Defensive, 3 IM and an offensive winger, and PIC with an attack up the middle. My wingers suck and I have a inadequate goalie.

I assume that my numbers should go up if I play Normal or even more with MOTS and it is a home game.

Options:

Formations I can Play
    3-4-3
    4-4-2

Options:
    Counter Attack
    Attack up the Middle

I'm torn between doing a MOTS 3-4-3, or a 4-4-2 PIC. How much of a boost am I going to get from MOTS and playing at home and is it enough of a boost to compensate for his better attack numbers on the wings due to his superior wingers and AOW strategy?

Playing Pressing is out of the picture because of his excessive number of Powerful players.

Suggestions folks? I wanna pull a win for the first game at home.

Disastrous (Very low) 1.00
    Disastrous (Low) 1.25
    Disastrous (High) 1.50
    Disastrous (Very high) 1.75
    Wretched (Very low) 2.00
    Wretched (Low) 2.25
    Wretched (High) 2.50
    Wretched (Very high) 2.75
    Poor (Very low) 3.00
    Poor (Low) 3.25
    Poor (High) 3.50
    Poor (Very high) 3.75
    Weak (Very low) 4.00
    Weak (Low) 4.25
    Weak (High) 4.50
    Weak (Very high) 4.75
    Inadeqaute (Very low) 5.00
    Inadeqaute (Low) 5.25
    Inadeqaute (High) 5.50
    Inadeqaute (Very high) 5.75

14. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The presence of his powerful players doesn't affect your pressing ability in anyway. THe presence of powerful players playing in the game for you, enhances your pressing ability if they have defensive abilities worth noting.

You might stymie him with a 4-4-2 with your wingbacks defensive in a AOW.

But I like the idea of playing a 3-4-3 attacking his weaker defense (right and center I believe).

A MOTS at home might give you a better midfield than his. Entirely possible I believe.

15. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    anyone have advice when facing a pressing team?

A pretty weak new team in my div has pulled off 2 straight upsets using 3-5-2 pressing with all his mids as offensive. He had these ratings in his last match, but the pressing really limited his much-better opponent who I'm sure PIC'd:

Midfield: wretched (low)
    Right Side Defence: poor (high)
    Central Defence: weak (very low)
    Left Side Defence: weak (high)
    Right Side Attack: weak (high)
    Central Attack: weak (high)
    Left Side Attack: weak (very low)

He has one 3.5 star IM, the rest are garbage. I plan to play my basic 3-4-3 without PIC'ng....any ideas? I suppose I should AIM as my best winger (I only play 1) is suspended anyway.

16. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I like the idea of the 3-4-3. Try to get your midfield as high as possible to ensure you get as many chances at the cookie as possible. This way, even if his press takes away 1-2 of your chances, you still have a few. And having 3 forwards should boost your attack enough that you capitalize on your chances.

The other thing I'd look at is your confidence. Is it pretty high? If not, consider some psychologists to boost it up. A confident team scores easier.

17. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    thanks man, I do have 2 pyschologists on staff...my confidence is decent now after a cup loss on PKs...One of my three strikers is on excellent form, the other two passable so we'll see....

18. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i thought u hired an economist if u went below 300 000