Match Day 5: Netherlands-New Zealand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Longtimesub, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The Dutch backline was indeed iffy at times. Bloodworth was great against Australia, but she wasn't good today. Hopefully, it was just an off day for her, Miedema, and van de Sanden today.

blissett repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All but 2 UEFA teams were in the top 2 pots, and only 5 teams in the top two pots weren't UEFA, so seeing UEFA teams lose isn't expected. With the way the groups were drawn, the only UEFA-vs-not-UEFA losses that were expected based on ranking were:
    --Italy/Australia
    --Italy/Brazil
    --Scotland/Japan
    --Netherlands/Canada
    --Sweden/USA
    Only one of those five expected UEFA losses was on the first matchday for each group, and it was Italy (surprisingly, to most people) upsetting Australia. So I'd say just hold tight, though with the respective forms of the teams in the other four matches, we may not see such a loss until the knockout round. The draw was even more kinder to UEFA teams than it usually is.

footyfan933, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There has been one: England-Scotland! Oh, wait....! :x3::laugh:

footyfan933 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. Whatjusthappened

none
    United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    US
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the question was will there ever be a game UEFA doesn't win. I pointed out three games that weren't won by a UEFA team.

5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Sure, but a UEFA team is obviously not going to win a match that doesn't feature a UEFA team. I think it's safe to assume that footyfan933 isn't talking about those matches, but I suppose the question could have been phrased better.

blissett and Whatjusthappened repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It is Van der Gragt that is my worry: If she is the last back and a counter occurs, she can get caught out. She has qualities, for sure, but she is not quick and not especially fast. Teams that go forward and try to score are always going to be vulnerable to counters, and we saw that a couple of times in the first half. Van Veenendaal made an excellent save on the Rosie White drive from distance.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The hair reminds me of my Grandmothers sofa back in the early 90’s.

D82A1042-D5E5-48C3-BD84-9B542E2C9BED.jpeg

MiLLeNNiuM, soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Agreed, and there was that play where one of the New Zealand subs got by her too easily. I was just taken aback by how off form Bloodworth looked, and the crossbar effort that seemed to set the mood for the commentators to elevate New Zealand over the Netherlands came off of her giveaway.

9. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    They’re all retired professional soccer players, coaches, and professional journalists. Who were you hoping for?

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the match (looks like Van Veneendaal was quite good, wasn't she? :coffee:):

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Martin Tyler!!!! Even the NBC #1 team of Arlo White, Graham Les Seaux, and Lee Dixon are far superior to those I've heard. The English have retired players and coaches and they do a far superior job.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I mean yeah, I love them too, but a) contracts, and b) the thing that makes them great is their experience with the league and their knowledge of the players...the same reason they chose these announcers, who’ve played the women’s game and know the players.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of US announcers think they're the entertainment. If you think the soccer announcers talk too much, listen to the tennis announcers.

soccernutter and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. :cautious:So that's where those missing leopards ended:eek:

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  15. I almost only watch the ladies play and I can't hear them because of the noise the ladies make with each ball they hit.

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! You mean the 70's.

blissett repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things which I don't like about US announcers, in addition to over analyzing, is that they don't shut up. We can see what is happening. That is why I like the English/Brits, much less talking.

Orange14 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.