Match Day 5: Netherlands-New Zealand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Longtimesub, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I think Tom Sermanni is a good coach...

MiLLeNNiuM and soccernutter repped this.
  2. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  3. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Good game so far. Slight Dutch dominance possession wise, but New Zealand have had the best scoring chance when they hit the crossbar.

4. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    #4 Longtimesub, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    0-0 HT...NZ winning this game...I don't know about that...But, it could certainly get a draw today and get one point...

Dutch defender Bloodworth...Her married name...She married an English guy...

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    so far, quick transitioningbeen the key for success at this tourney, that's why I'm surprised the Dutch have played so deliberate with no long balls to van de Sanden(at least in the 1st half)

6. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, caught that as I was getting ready for work. And then saw as the Dutch (Martens?) also went close. Then looked like mostly Oranje.

8. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netherlands went so close to score at least 3 times

9. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great reaction

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  11. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    that sucks for the kiwis

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  13. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  14. Whatjusthappened

none
    United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    US
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NZ really put the pressure on Netherlands, i believe this is the reason Netherlands had so many blown chances and shots off goal...that pressure forced a lot of haste and poor timing in so many misses

15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jill roord knows how to make me love her

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of +4') 0-1 Miedema taps back to box top wide left, van Dongen one-touch cross to 6-top 1/4 right -- Stott leaves Roord at 6m left post and drifts (her) leftward toward ball. Beerensteyn jumps into a header as Erceg leans back into her, chest-to-back collision pushes Erceg over, no call. Ball bounces off Erceg's head and pops up to 4m 1-left. Roord slides under it, heads down across mouth past Stott and Nayler both going for left post, bounces at 1m center and into 1/4 right back low. Ugh -- if only Nayler had stayed central and let Stott cover the line shot -- but every defender has been hearing Bonansea's near-post shot go bump in the night ...

FT 0-1.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Good match--huge for the Dutch to get the win, late. Credit to New Zealand: They are an excellent defensive team--lots of experience, well-organized and played their a$$es off--and had a couple of good chances out of counters in the first half. They double-teamed Van de Sanden all day, and swarmed Miedema, and it was hard for The Netherlands. And the Kiwi goalkeeper is also excellent.

Even so, Bloodworth missed a sitter right before the half--should have been an easy goal. And Miedema dithered with the ball about the 67' minute mark (or somewhere in there) and failed to see a wide-open Martens on the left side of goal. I thought the Dutch were actually pretty darn good--this is a good team--but played a little in transition at times; it is in transition where goals can be scored in football, of course. Trying to beat a team that is bunkered in is /always/ hard, I don't care who your forwards are. Credit to Wiegman for getting Roord and Beerensteyn in the game--they won it--though I thought Beerensteyn should have been brought in 10 minutes earlier.

Sermanni has done an excellent job with New Zealand. It is not the most talented squad around by any stretch, but they've got some good, veteran defenders who read the game well, get into lanes, and are smart. Erceg was great today). NZ isn't great but it is far better than the pedestrian Kiwi teams we've seen in past years. Let's remember that they just shut out--and beat--a very good England squad about 10 days ago, 1-0.

This is a tough group, in fact, because some of the best defensive teams in the tourney are in this group. Canada is arguably the best defensive team, and NZ might be right behind them, and Cameroon, as we saw yesterday, is also stout. I think the Dutch could find more joy later in the tournament than in group play. We shall see.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett, CoachJon and 4 others repped this.
  18. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I wonder will there ever be a game UEFA doesnt win?

19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    That along with van de Sanden completely squandering Groenen's excellent entry pass frustrated me the most. I completely agree with the Netherlands actually looking fairly good offensively, and bar the Gregorius chance (what a save from van Veenandaal), I think the commentators overstated how good New Zealand actually was offensively.

20. What do you mean?

21. Whatjusthappened

none
    United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    US
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil won their game, Canada won their game and im sure US will defeat Thailand in a few hours.

22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Brazil played Jamaica, and Canada played Cameroon. As you mention, the US will play Thailand. Jamaica, Cameroon, and Thailand are all not UEFA teams.

23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    In games with only one UEFA team, the UEFA team won. The only UEFA team not to win was Scotland, and that was against another UEFA team in England.

blissett repped this.
  24. Ah, okay.
    Thanks for explaining.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The US commentators for virtually all soccer matches men or women are just dreadful. As much as I dislike English Premier League football, they do have good match announcers. Sometimes announcers just need to shut up and stop over analyzing everything, particularly when they don't have a clue what they are saying.

Rant over.

First matches in tournaments are always tough as players are a bit more conservative. Biggest worry for the Dutch is there back line are way too slow. this is what caused them problems.