Match Day 24: RSL @ SJ Wednesday Sept. 15 8:30pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Sep 13, 2021.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    The on field play needs to improve for sure under Pablo. Especially on the defensive end, that’s for sure.

I do believe that there is a definitive change in attitude and confidence under Pablo that was not there under Freddy.

Under Freddy this team would have collapsed after some of the boneheaded play and mistakes RSL has made recently. Under Pablo these guys seem to be enjoying playing soccer and even after monumental mind farts this team has been playing hard and fighting back.

I am under no illusion that Pablo is the answer but I like him a million times more than Freddy. I think it’s apparent that most of the players agree.

evilradar repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In those four games:
    • RSL is 2-2-0.
    • We haven't been shutout - averaging 2.5 goals/game
    • We also haven't been scored on less than two times a game - averaging 3/game
    • All 4 teams have been direct WC final playoff spots competition
    • We've scored two OG's (Silva Vancouver & Datkovic LAFC)
    • Rusnak and/or Kreilach have been involved in each of the last 7 goals we've scored. Either assisting or scoring. Which is pretty wild.

Allez RSL, RSLer, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Also, I'm all in on the Embratsu but in a more fun and different formation kind of embratsu.

I think that it's very likely, with the very tough schedule to end the season, that RSL doesn't make the playoffs. I would frankly be a bit surprised if they do. But at the very least it looks as though we get to watch a team that's playing their guts out with a renewed sense of confidence under a manager that supports and encourages them to play exciting football.

It may all just come completely apart but I will take that over the awful football we were subjected to under Freddy. It is just a 4 game snap shot, and Seattle could make RSL and Pablo look silly on Saturday, but it has been some fresh and exciting play.

From the looks of it Freddy sucked the life and confidence out of this team with probably some pretty horrible team and player management. It looks like a team that was afraid to make a mistake and get punished to a team now that isn't afraid to make a mistake and powers through with positivity.

The big question is can Pablo get the pendulum to swing back to stiffer defending and at the same time play aggressive and goal creating offense. I hope he can because RSL will suffer the same fate as they would under Freddy only on the opposite end of the spectrum. That being losing games 4-3 instead of 1-0.

Losing 4-3 is certainly no less frustrating but a bit more entertaining.

I will say though that the last 3 games I have certainly seen and sensed a positive change in the team under Pablo. Maybe it's the old substitute teacher/interim manager phase where they are doing their best to stick it to the guy that left and has a relatively short shelf life. Or it could be a manager finding ways to make the team successful and the players responding accordingly.

Who knows?

It's just been fun to watch for a change.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s flown under the radar, but Pablo made a halftime sub against SJ that appeared to open up the offense. That’s a noteable improvement. He also generally subs more liberally than did Freddy.

15 to 32 repped this.