Match Day 2 (pbp) - Morocco v. Iran - St. Petersburg

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but neither Morocco or Iran looked all that threatening on attack, yet both looked beatable at the back. Remember, this match was won on an own goal, not something directly from Iran.

Yoshou repped this.
  2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sure, but lets face it - Morocco is toast, bar for some massive turnaround in next two matches. The best I can hope for now is that they get at least a point or three. Anything else will be a massive surprise.

I still think Morocco has what it takes to give Portugal a run for their money, but if Ronaldo repeats today than... they have no chance.

Iran has a much better chance. Chances are they will go full defence in the next two games and pray to progress with 4 pts.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Please note Morocco had a very attacking setup. Their two fullbacks were practically wingbacks. They won't be playing like that vs Portugal and Spain. The defence will be much more sturdy.

And Morocco have goalscoring midfielders and wingers. With more space and on a counter they will find it easier to attack than vs a wall of Iranians.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The only way Iran can advance with 4 pts. is if Morocco gets points somewhere, and now that they must attack while toothless in front and weak in the back, that's not going to happen.

Even if Iran ties one of POR/SPA, with Morocco losing both games it ends with the team tying Iran having 5 pts. (win over MOR, tie vs. the other UEFA team, tie vs. Iran) and the other team having 7 pts.

In other words, Iran needs to at least tie both or beat one of them.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree, really wished it had ended in a draw, Morocco should have score earlier. The Iranian keeper gave shades of Buffon.

Easy tiger, I agree with you on all of this.

zahzah repped this.
  6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    First off: I wrote the same about 4 pts enough for Iran earlier.

Again: The only reason Morocco looked weak at the back was because Morocco was setup with two fullbacks pushed up very high. This was a full attack mode by Renard. They will not have that kind of setup vs Portugal and Spain and I can guarantee they will look much better defensively.

The attacking problem is a problem, but Ziyech is a prolific goalscorer and not only him. Morocco do know how to score, although they do lack a striker in the mold of Costa. El Kaabi for one was a massive dissapointment. As was the only goalscorer of the game, even though his header was first class...

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Stop it. A few more of your likes and I may have to start liking you!

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. saam14

saam14 Member

Manchester United
    Iran
    May 17, 2018
    Iran will be a lot better in the next two games. 1) our best midfielder was suspended who really glues our team together, 2) our left back was on the bench for some reason, 3) both Dejagah and Taremi, two of our best players were left on the bench, 4) we had four players playing out of position (CM playing LB, Winger playing CM, Striker playing CM and DM playing as CB). You will see a much more comfortable team in the next game both going forward and defending. Queiroz took a big risk with this lineup and it both paid off and bought us some luck.

Kamtedrejt and KiarashM repped this.
  9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Well done Iran.

Mani, Zandi360 and KiarashM repped this.
  10. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016

I hope you are right and Iran's is much improved and can steal a draw vs Spain. On the basis of what we saw today, frankly speaking it's inconceivable. You might be able to barrack a team like Morocco that has no finisher and steal some points by parking the bus. But this will unfortunately never work against Spain because they have too many attacking threats.

That said it's still a sport and anything is possible, I'd love to see massive upset like that going down.

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    This Spain team is certainly vulnerable to counter attacks, we saw that today. Their midfielders are getting old and just don't have the pace to get back in time.their short passing game is not what it once was nor is the goalie so sure with his hands.
    If Iran can sit back, hold tight, and hang around then there will be chances to counter. Portugal looks deadlier with CR7 in top form.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bouhaddouz must be a hero in Tehran.

13. saam14

saam14 Member

Manchester United
    Iran
    May 17, 2018
    Yeah we definitely need to be sharper in the next game because I feel like Diego Costa will steamroll us otherwise. We always have problems with strong target man strikers.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was, more or less, my point. Morocco were an attacking team (I got whiffs of Portugal in that Portugal v. France semifinal WC2006), but they lacked that final ball and final finishing touch. There were several times El Kaabi got in to space available for a cross, but it was off.

Yet, v. Iran they were very successful in the first 20 minutes, and they had many moments later in the match. Iran's physicality disrupted Morocco's fluidity, but didn't completely shut down the attack.

Please note that I really enjoyed the attacking play, and I would really like to see Morocco advance. But I don't see them beating either Spain or Portugal.

15. pogoss

pogoss Member

Wydad Casablanca
    Morocco
    Jan 15, 2017
    Japan
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    My disappointment was balanced by the second game, the difference of level made sure that we were here for only 3 games anyway.

16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It might be because it is Iran's 2nd victory in their WC history. They have played 13 matches so far.

Several Iranian posters were busy on other threads, though. Either shi**ing on Saudi Arabia or hyping up Iran's friendlies.

Normal service should resume by next Wednesday: POR-MOR , SPA-IRN .

monere and soccernutter repped this.
  17. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morocco in the span of 3 days lost the 2026 World Cup bid and lost their first match to the second worst team in the cup

Nani_17 repped this.
  18. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Gotta do it the USA way: don't qualify to WC; gain automatic spot as WC host, for 8 years later.

19. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I know you hate the Iranians and all, but calling them the second worst team of Russia 2018 is ********ing nuts.

KiarashM, Kamtedrejt and zahzah repped this.
  20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You may probably not like Iran, but they are not the second worst team in the cup.

For facts, they are better ranked than many other teams of the WC, and also better ranked than the same moroccan team.

Zandi360 and soccernutter repped this.
  21. Asimovfan

Asimovfan Member

Esteghlal
    Iran
    Jun 15, 2018
    You must be American lol

KiarashM, Kamtedrejt, Zandi360 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Edwardinho

Edwardinho Member

Barcelona
    France
    Feb 11, 2018
    What did give him away? Was it the level of knowledge or the opposite by any chance?! :D

Zandi360 repped this.
  23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Both teams have holes in their defense, four points against them can get Morocco through.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pretty bad week for Moroccan football

25. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Congrats to Iran

Iran under Queiroz is very good in one special thing. Make the opponents looking bad and somewhat clueless. This game was similiar to Iran's opener against Nigeria four years ago. Morocco went out all attack but it lasted only 20 minutes. Afterwards I didn't see any superior side. Iran had with Azmoun the biggest chance just before half-time. In the second half the challenges were contested fiercly and the game was out of flow as we had a lot of interruptions. This was also part of Queiroz's strategy to disturb Morocco's rythym. Iran themselves was clueless as well when they had possession. So in the end a set-piece and own goal had to seperate the teams. I think Iran will change 4-5 players for the next clash. Shojaei had many turnovers and was careless at times. I much more like to see Dejagah in the team. He has the beast mentality. Also Ezzatolahi will be back from his suspension. I was surprised not to see left-back Mohammadi starting. I thought he is one of Iran's prospects. Hope to see him against Spain.

KiarashM, saam14, Mani and 3 others repped this.