Match Day 1 - France v. Korea Republic

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 7, 2019.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tournament begins.

Reminder to read the mod warning

Enjoy!

kolabear and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nice!!! Not sure how much I will post here, because, for a change, I'll enjoy the match while sitting on an armchair in front of TV, instead of after frantically looking for a streaming feed, but I love the fact that there is a dedicated thread for the match. :)

jnielsen, McSkillz and soccernutter repped this.
  3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.....just added a 3rd screen to my work station at home so I can keep the game on.....

MiLLeNNiuM and soccernutter repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wouldn't be able to watch it do to work, but looking T the lineups; nice to see France start both Cascarino & Diani instead of splitting time between them

5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nice line-up: so Majri, Le Sommer and Henry, who had been questionable for some time during the week, are all available, and this is good for France. I quite like the line-up (although I am not so sure about old Thiney as a starter behind the lone FW).

I can't really say that I root for one team or the other one, since South Korea has players I like, as Ji So-Yun. One of my favourite, though, Lee Min-A, is not starting, apparently.

Well, for a change, I'll just enjoy the game, with no particular worries for the final score, and only hoping for a good, exciting game that does a good work of selling women's football to non-believers. :coffee:

7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy World Cup day! So excited for match 1.

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a client just got a snap inspection from a state agency, so headed there now to consult / hear feedback from inspector - so I may or not get to watch this!

9. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Allez les Bleu !

10. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    In US, you could watch this game without cable subscription on Telemundo channel...Coverage is in Spanish...Fox decided not to put this first game on regular Fox channel...It is on FS 1 instead...You need a cable subscription for FS 1.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    01' 0-0 Le Sommer loses ball at circle left, grabs Cho Sohyun's left wrist and hauls her back. Foul. Free kick from midfield box right, trickles through to Bouhaddi.

02' 0-0 Henry ground cross from 8m wide left, intercepted. But Korea promptly make a catastrophic square pass across own box top, directly to Henry at 15m mid-left. Quick shot across mouth, just wide right low. Korea were a bit too calm in own box there, played delicate-touch short-pass instead of just blasting it.

blissett repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    09' 1-0 Henry presses LB Jang Selgi from behind at 25m wide right, stabs ball away to Cascarino(?) tying up LCB Kim Doyeon -- and continues her own run up right touch. Cascarino pings one-touch inside-out diagonal pass into Henry's stride, and suddenly she's 4m+ behind both of them, alone to 4m wide right. Simple ground cross to 7m 1/3 right, Le Sommer arrives and shoots one-touch rising off crossbar bottom, down into goal. High press :eek:

blissett repped this.
  13. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    korea BETTER make changes on the ride side

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, Cascarino and Torrent are devastating on the right. But also Renard with her long drives and her constant danger from CKs actions.

It's a shame that 'Mbock-Bathy has a very visible Bandage on her left thigh and knee: I hope her injury doesn't get worse, because the duo of her and Renard could be considered probably the best one of this World Cup, as long as both are healthy. :cautious:

jnielsen repped this.
  15. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    France is rolling. Korea seems outclassed.

16. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    welp game over
    no...they took it away...GOOD CALL..WOW

17. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Still 1-0...VAR in action...
    Korea should worry about goal differential...

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    27' 1-0 France left ck, short backpass, long backpass to 25m box left. High cross to 10m 6-right, Diani comes back and heads across to 9m 1/4 left. MBock Bathy lurks unmarked thereat, leans left and volleys right roundhouse pull past Kim's dive, into left back edge. Long VAR review: she's a couple cm offside behind the line. Still frame: by the width of her left shoe. [ ], no goal. ("[ ]" shall be the new shorthand for VAR :barefoot:)

L'orange and blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bah, the VAR ruining the game. It was a beautiful goal and the off-side was ridicoulosly minimal. Every human referee would have allowed the goal and no-one would have complained.

I'll be old-school, but I don't like that at all. :devilish:

kolabear, taocpa and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    We could see a few goals disallowed by VAR /offsides by a hair in this tourney.

Korea can't compete with France--but they're still only down by 1 goal, amazingly. They could be behind by 3 or more based on run of play.

blissett repped this.
  21. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I wrote this on the other thread and not the game thread.

I know that Mina Lee plays the same position as So-yun Ji, but surely you need your best technical players on the pitch, so that you can keep hold of the ball.

Korea have barely got it out of their own half.

blissett repped this.
  22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    For pete's sake let that goal stand. If VAR is going to make every toe sticking out beyond a defender offside, we are in for a low scoring tournament. Stupid. It should be the whole body that is judged offside not a random limb.

Edit: well, if one center back is denied a goal, the other one can score! First header goal for Renard this tournament

blissett repped this.
  23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    To France's credit, they didn't complain about the VAR decision. They let play resume, carried on with their high press, and were rewarded with a second goal regardless.

Glad to see Henry and Le Sommer playing hard with no apparent injuries.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and JimWharton repped this.
  24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    35' 2-0 Thiney right ck, to 6-top 1/4 left. Hwang Boram has inside position on Renard, but sees the ball's arc dropping wider than her position, veers outward to it -- just as Renard back-cuts her and leaps in front for a towering header, down into back left edge low. Welp, a 1-v-1 header against Renard is a match-up nightmare for Korea, and probably for most other teams.

blissett repped this.
  25. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I dislike the minuscule offsides judgements generally. I agree: they should prevent cherry-picking, but looking for every toenail off is tedious. I feel the same for handballs. If it’s not an overt attempt to cheat, let it go.

That said, if you’re going to use VAR, you’ve got to be all in or out. I don’t mind it.