Match 9: Netherlands v. Denmark :: Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon' started by El Chompiras, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Brabantse Nachten...

May 10, 2005
    Netherlands
    Re: Match 9: Netherlands v. Denmark ::GAME THREAD [R]

The altitude was bothering both teams pretty early on in the game. But the Dutch team didn't look out of shape to me at all.
    For me it were the Danes who looked increasingly out of shape as the second half progressed.

2. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    It is no surprise to me that Kuyt, a player with great stamina, looked more influential as other players got tired.

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I thought that Kjear was just slow. He only looked to the ball and forgot to defend. He was watching the ball to go in or hit the post and when he hit the post he was just happy. Than he was off course to late for Kuyt who scored immidiatly. Ruud v Nistelrooy is also a player who would made such a goal, always being alert.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Germany played good football, even before the red card which spoiled the game. But having said that, Holland has played beautiful matches to in preperation to this tournement. We know how to play good football. We don't need a German example. We had a tough match against the Danes without our best man Robben. Wait until you see us with wingers Elia and Robben and against a less tactical team than Denmark. Than we can do better than the Germans.

5. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    those 'danish' girls were also dutch lol, it was a marketing strategy by bavaria.

6. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    i fully agree, but it looks like we will see the same eleven against japan. wouldn't mind to see both babel and elia to come on though early in the second half with afellay or huntelaar to come on a bit later.

7. Conifeertje

Conifeertje Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you look at the last two pictures you will see it's the same bunch of girls in a different outfit. The orange dresses are supplied by a known beer brand here in the Netherlands (bavaria). Seeing as they are not an official sponsor of the world cup, and budweiser is, fifa beforehand warned it would kick out any folks wearing these dresses.
    So they just entered with a Danish outfit to blend in, hiding underneath an orange dress.
    FIFA stewards quickly removed the girls from the game in the 2nd half and the girls are now facing prosecution for ambush marketing. Which ofcourse is complete nonsense, seeing as the dresses are just orange and do not in any way portray sponsorship of this particular brand. On the other hand, the girls did have their travel expenses and tickets paid/supplied by this particular brand so one could argue it's an organised stunt, but a good one!

The reason they look a lot better in Danish colors is because orange clothing doesn't do all that well on the sexy-meter. Has something to do with skincolor/hair contrast, or more precise, lack thereof. Unicolor without a pattern also tends to amplify any symmetrical body issues.

I think Elija is a nice weapon to use as a sub when the defenses of the opponent are worn out in the second half. Who's saying elija will keep up those moves and sprints the entire match? Would rather like to see a Babel or just the Usual VDV starting. Would say it very much depends on wether or not Robben is able to play the last 30 mins or so of the game, as well as the type of opponent.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tactically, I think this Dutch team may be the best of all so far. Physically, I still think they looked at times like suffering from altitude and perhaps too much training(?).

But, in retrospect, I think they are the second best team I've seen. The pressing was a thing of beauty and done to perfection. Kudos.

9. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yep.. thats the reason! :) the same reason green let go of the ball... oh wait, that wasnt the ball fault.. that was the horns fault :rolleyes::p

excuse after excuse....you guys crack me up sometimes...

10. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

please stop about the ball. the ball was being used in argentina and NO ONE even noticed and only 1 of our players, veron, plays in our league, but the rest of our players had no issues with the ball. it was also used in MLS and no one noticed or cared when it was brought in. i am sure there other leagues around the world that were using the ball. these players have also been using them for a month before the cup. it is not an excuse.

11. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

if they stop making excuses then how would they feel good about themselves? :eek:

you gota point the finger at someone or something, its never your fault...

12. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

What's your problem? No-one is saying Green's mistake was down to the new ball.

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

Landon Donovan talks about the new ball acting differently when playing a longer ball or cross. Glenn Johnson has said the same. Julio Cesar, Casillas, David James have all complained about the ball. Messi has complained about the new ball being difficult. The Slovenian Captain Koren and the Algerian Coach both complained about the ball after their match. Dutch coach Van Marwijk has said that the ball does strange things in the air and that it can hardly be controlled when you play diagonal passes. It is clear that the ball reacts to spin more - it has been designed to do so.

When all these folks mention the new ball acting differently then I tend to believe them. It should be acknowledged that the ball is an issue, it may be that players need more time to adjust to it. However simply claiming that it is not an issue at all is being dishonest.

That some teams have been playing with the ball longer than others is a clear advantage. I cannot see how this can possibly be disputed.

14. rob.blake

rob.blake New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Club:
    AA Coruripe
    Most of the best players are failed to net the ball. They all blame on the jabulani ball - its weird for them to carry on the stuff with. Goalkeepers are suffering with the ball. Fabiano from Brazil told the ball changes its direction when we are on the target. There must be some difference with the ball.

15. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

messi didn't complain about the ball. he was asked if it was difficult and he said yes it is a bit complicated. he didn't come out and complain- that is something messi would not do.

look i am just sayin that for months in our league we have been using this ball and there was not a single complaint. it was a painless transition and no one even knew that we were using the world cup ball. there were plenty of long range goals and FK goals in the argentine league.

SO far the big names just havent shown up.

Holland didn't put up a big number because the danes were very well organized and the formation was not suited to them. if elia had come on right at half time, or had robben played to give them width, i'm sure it would have been 3 or 4

Argentina played well. We could have won by 4 or 5. the ball had nothing to do with out missed chances it was just a great game by the nigerian in goal.

Wayne Rooney had a bad game not because of the ball but because he didn't do anything. he barely touched it in the first half

Kaka didn't do anything because he is just out of form and fitness

Ronaldo didn't because his team was playing anti futbol. he hit the post on his only real threat

there is a big difference between saying the ball is an issue, and blaming it on the lack of goals and goalkeeping gaffes. some people are using the ball as an excuse for everything, but it is not one.

maybe if you miss hit a cross field pass or something you can say it was the ball, but if you are skying balls over the bar from 8 yards like fabiano or just fumbling into your own net like green the ball is just not to blame, but many people are blaming the ball for EVERYTHING and its pointless

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London

I am not blaming the ball on EVERYTHING though. The thread discussion went like this - Emmex said that the Germans are playing perfectly well with the new ball. He implied that other teams are just not being as professional with making the adjustment. In response I pointed out the fact that the German players have an advantage of being used to the ball because they have played with it for months. Every other team has not had this adjustment period. It is not an issue of other teams being not as professional with making the adjustment - it is the fact that some teams are still making the adjustment.

There is a difference with the new ball. Claiming otherwise is laughable. Adidas even boast about how they worked on altering the aerodynamics of the ball. In other words it has a difference in flight/bounce such that Adidas can measure it and advertise it as different. It is not just the exact same ball with a different colour badge. Adidas are not marketing the ball as being exactly the same but in a different colour, are they? We spent all this time and money and research but our ball is exactly the same as the one you already have but with a new badge. Please buy it! LOL

I am not saying the ball is responsible for lack of goals or lack of inventive play. I am just saying that it is unfair to claim other teams have not coped with the new ball as well as the Germans due to lack of professionalism. Frankly, I don't see why people get defensive about this stance. New sports equipment often requires an adjustment period whether it is a cricket ball, golf ball, javelin etc.

I apologize that this thread has been derailed from the Holland - Denmark game. We all know Holland are very capable of playing excellent football, with or without this new ball.

17. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I agree 100%. Well said! It really is a stretch to claim that the Germans are somehow more professional at adapting to the ball than all these other countries and star players. Far more plausible is your theory that other teams are still in the adjustment period and, given time, may achieve a similar level of comfort with the ball. I just hope this occurs soon, before another round of matches is affected like the first 16 have been.

Back on topic with the Holland-Denmark game, I am amused by some of the reactions I have been reading in the media. For instance I was reading the comments on some Dutch newspaper article that was published online, and one Dutch guy commented that Holland had delivered one of the weakest displays of the whole first round of matches and that they would have absolutely no chance against e.g. Paraguay. I guess he hasn't watched very many of the other games to say that.. Nor must he realize that Denmark are a very solid team who Holland can hardly expect to beat 3-0 or 4-0 every time, even on a particularly good day!

18. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't think Netherlands played particularly well - at least, not at the level they can actually play - but eventually it was enough to beat Denmark. Poulsen's incredible own goal at the beginning of the second half surely gave them the push they needed.

Overall, it seems to me that the Dutch could've been more quick on the ball. Altough they were missing Robben, their game was just too slow. I'm sure that if they can step up and turn up a notch in their game, they can be serious contendors for this WC alongside Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Spain.

Elia impressed me though, he seems to have genuine talent. Who does he play for? Feyenoord?

19. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Elia played for Twente until 2009 and then moved to Hamburger SV in the Bundesliga where he has done well.

20. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The kid seems to have a great future ahead of him.