Match 9: Netherlands v. Denmark ::GAME THREAD [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon' started by fireman451, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    THIS IS THE OFFICIAL GAME THREAD

Monday, June 14, 2010
    Johanessburg

Netherlands [​IMG] v [​IMG] Denmark

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

Good Luck to both nations and let's keep it clean and cordial folks!

It's World Cup time!!!!

2. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Okay folks, the pregame is OVER and we're within a few hours until kickoff of Group E and the official Netherlands v Denmark match . . . so the game thread is now open for business!!!!

3. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    When was the last time the Dutch played Denmark? Obviously the Dutch are always the popular "Dark horse" pick to win the tournament, but Denmark seems like a solid squad (at least they did before their pre-tournament friendlies). Several recent World Cups have seen a second-tier Euro team make a great run (Bulgaria 1994, Croatia 1998, Turkey 2002)... could Denmark be that team in 2010?

4. Golle12345

Golle12345 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    The last time denmark and holland met it ended 1-1 in a friendly in 2008 , the best run denmark has ever made in a world cup was in 1998 when they reached the quater finals.

Denmarks chances today depend on getting all the injured players ready including tomasson, bendtner, kjær, jensen and sørensen. If they play i see a tight game as there is no presure on the danes to preform well. On the other hand holland has one of the strongest teams since 1988 and the whole country is counting on them doing well.

If denmark can keep the dutch from scoring early on, i see an upset on the cards as the danish team is very fragile and need to gain confidence by not going behind straight away.

5. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    American getting up at 6AM to catch this :D and I think honestly that judging by recent scoring trends (minus Germany, but that was a mismatched game obviously), this game will not stun too many with its score. I'm thinking 1-1 is what it ends up at. Netherlands lets their guard down somewhat early (USA style) and give Denmark a somewhat-quick goal. Then Netherlands ties it up later with a good shot from their striking squad.

Either way, good luck to both teams, and I hope its an exciting game! :)

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, Nicklas Bendtner is playing from start ...

Kjær is back in central defense.... and more surprisingly Simon Poulsen is playing left back.

7. MetroMatt

MetroMatt Member

Sep 21, 2000
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up at 6:30, pot of coffee brewing and skipping work. All I've got to do today is watch three matches. Is anything better then the World Cup?

I'm excited as always to watch the Dutch but also interested to see the other teams in this group. I think second place is wide open and none of the other three teams are very good.

8. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Why is this the early game? It should have been the 2nd game today.

9. mitrita

mitrita Member

Aug 6, 2002
    NL
    Line ups:

Holland: Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst; Van Bommel, De Jong; Kuijt, Sneijder, Van der Vaart; Van Persie.

Danmark: Sörensen; Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, Simon Poulsen; Christian Poulsen, Kahlenberg, Enevoldsen; Rommedahl, Bendtner, Jörgensen.

10. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    4:00 AM :eek:
    Got coffee,cigars and mojitos
    Hup Holland Hup

11. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    is robben completely out or is he available to be a sub? i can see why they wouldn't want to risk him, but if they need a goal would robben be able to come on for 10 minutes or so?

12. MetroMatt

MetroMatt Member

Sep 21, 2000
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mojitos at 4 am? Nice...

13. Netherlands_Soccer

Netherlands_Soccer New Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He has a hamstring tear and according to TSN if it indeed is a 'tear' then he could miss the entire group stage. I dont think he's available to sub in....

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I reckon they play better without Robben anyway.

I'm predicting a tight one. 1-0 or 2-1 to the Dutch, probably the latter.

15. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Denmark injuried players must have been to 'Lourdes' or 'trick' by the coach that they could not play? :rolleyes:

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Australian commentary has just confirmed that Robben is on the bench, so he is a potential sub.

17. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

...and the last time they played each other competitively was at Euro2000, methinks.

NED 3, DEN 0.

I remembered the Dutch started real slowly in that match, then went on to score 3 goals in what was generally a struggle of a game for us. The result was overly flattering, the Danes fought harder than the scoreline suggested.

18. ReMad

ReMad Member

Feb 25, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Netherlands Vs. Denmark

WC 2010 | Group D | Round 1 | 11:30 GMT | 14-6-2010

JSC SPORTS - Ara. Comm. - 1150 KBPS - 320*240 - flv

Goals

First Goal for Netherlands By S. Poulsen (o.g.) Min.49
    Click Here for Video

Extras

Chance for Denmark by BENDTNER Min.27
    Click Here for Video

Chance for Denmark by Kahlenberg Min.37
    Click Here for Video

Highlights

19. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Probably going to sound repetitive by now, but...that's a lot of empty seats. Not nearly as much as in games past, but this is Holland and Denmark in Johannesburg, not one or two minnows in the middle of nowhere.

20. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Wow, the whole stadium is orange

21. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still have the Afrikaan remnants residing in S. Africa. Doesn't shock me honestly.

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of it looks like empty seats rather than fans.

23. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Pretty open start. Both teams are not afraid to run at each other.

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Well, it's enhanced by the orange seats as much as the Oranje spectators, if not moreso.

The stadium is designed to resemble an earthenware pot, hence the terracotta seating to resemble the interior.

25. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a great tackle on Van de Miel.

Where's the ref from by the way?