Match 8|Ghana vs. Serbia|13.06.2010| Pre-match + In-game + Post-game Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by kibernaut, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Match 8|Ghana vs. Serbia|13.06.2010| Pre-match and In-game Discussion

South Korea was alright but Greece is a very poor side whereas Nigeria isn't. USA did well, but again England blows. SA vs Mexico was a better match than this one.

2. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Today there's been one goal for every red card. This isn't the counting the handballs galore.

For an African World Cup I was expecting drums, drums, & more drums but the Confederations Cup smacked me in the face with a harsh dose of reality.

3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

that was a clear 100% hand ball...
    and he should never have done that,,, the play wasnt even dangerous!

4. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

They showed how strong they are offensively but they also showed that they are weak defensively and that their midfield can be lazy. That game should have been a blowout but it wasn't.......I wouldn't call that class!

5. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007

Regarding the lack of exciting matches, keep in mind that most of the possession oriented teams are in the later groups and have yet to play.

6. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I was expecting from serbia... their midfield was very disappointing. I hope they can pick up the next two games, but knowing balkan teams they tend to deflate once things do not get their way. But ghana was surprisingly good! I liked them playing their hearts out, and they are solid in all departments :):).

7. kwame_tdot

kwame_tdot Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Ghana ooooooo GHANA

Today is the best day.

8. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005

Agreed. It's a shame their coach doesn't know what the hell he's doing or else they could have easily walked away with a 4-0 win.

9. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Such a comment from a moderator? :rolleyes:

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I think Serbia gave it all away. Mist sitters, foolish red card and a stupid penalty. They have to take a good hard look at themsleves because this was totally unnescesarry. In terms of spectacle it was an oke game. SA-Mexico was a bit more entertaining. With Argentina everything went trough the middle still it was nice to see Messi do his magic, but in terms of team performence I liked SK against Greece the most. That said Greece is awfull and it is easyer to play Greece than playing other opponants.

I expect Australia to play very defensive and I don't know if Grermany has the ability to break them open. It takes two to Tango. I hope group E can provide the spectacle we all hope for. At least some more goals and team combination. Nice one two's into the 16 and stuff.

11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005

:confused::confused:

Care to elaborate on what was wrong with my post?

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

I'm satisfied with the cup so far. Four tactical games out of seven. Not bad.

France-Uruguay: very, very tactical game. Midfield battle of the year. Worthy of a quarter final.
    USA-England: Also a tactical game, where BB finally showed his intellect.
    South Africa-Mexico: Aguirre got out-coached by Parreira. Very interesting from a strategical PoV.
    Ghana-Serbia: Again, a very tactical game, with continuous attack on both sides and wing battle.

13. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Remarks as "could have easily walked away with an 4:0 win" are usually very provocative.
    Especially when it is not true, it was a very close match.

14. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

As a fellow German football fan I would like to know which game you thought was the best. In this game we saw both teams execute their game plans fairly well and the team who's execution was best, won. Tactically these are 2 very different teams with different styles, each of which were eminent throughout the game. There will always be missed chances but this game showed positionally good play by both sides almost throughout. Exciting? Not really. An interesting Chess match? Absolutely. I still believe it was the best game of the tourney so far. Best performance by a team that played as a team would be the Koreans by a hair over the boys from Ghana.

15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005

Well my intentions weren't to make provocative comments, and if someone is offended by a comment like that then they are simply oversensitive. Nigeria had 1 shot on goal so it was in absolutely no way a close match. If Argentina knew how to use their players in a proper formation then that game would have been settled in the first half. Not to mention if Higuain was even competent up front. It should have been 3-0 before the half yesterday and that isn't even including the brilliant saves on Messi's shots.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

The reason why has a name.

Enyeama. Best keeper of the tournament so far.

Yes, even better than Howard.

17. d73921

d73921 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I'd take Argentina vs. Nigeria over these "tactical" matches any day. France was appaling against Uruguay. And Uruguay were just focused on damage control, except Forlan who didn't have much support from his strike partner.

RSA-MEX was a decent game with some neat play from RSA in the attacking third, I'd say they were under a lot of pressure in the beginning and the defence took some time to get settled.

ENG-USA was not bad. I think USA tried to play a fast game and moved the ball well at times. I think England needed to force the issue a bit and dictate the pace of the game, the frenetic pace of the game made it look like an EPL game to me. Nothing wrong with that, just that if England meet Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal or any country playing a style that is not based on moving the ball up the field in a hurry, they will struggle. Against those teams, when you lose the ball it will be a while before you get it back, and that's when concentration levels can drop.

EDIT: Serbia-Ghana was not bad. Serbia could have put the game away though.

Why does tactical have to mean 1-1, 0-0, or 1-0? Not attacking you, just wondering why it has to be a bit bland. I just feel like a lot of teams are lacking that attacking verve so far, except for Argentina.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Not always, but often.

Again (sorry to bring it up), it's like a very tactical chess game: chances are it will end in a draw.

Both rivals have studied each other and prepared moves, countermoves and plan B in advance.

So they are following a script. The analysis before the game is, probably, 100 times more exciting than what we see on the field.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Are you really feeling this way? Didn't you had the feeling Serbia just gave it all away from stupid mistakes. Missing sitters, stupid red card and a smash in their own 16 resulting an unnescesarry penalty. I don't think it was about the good gameplan from Ghana that resulted in the loss, but the stupidiness from Serbia.

20. d73921

d73921 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I get what you mean. Personally, I've always been a fan of Sir Alex [paraphrasing] "you score 3, we'll score 4." Seems like the Champions' league is often more exciting, but there is still a long way to go in the World Cup and some great teams have yet to kickoff :)

21. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Ghana hit posts and missed sitters too. It's a wash. Ghana wore down the Serbs and it was evident in their play......example.....lazy and very stupid fouls instead of chasing the ball or the man as they would normally do. That was part of Ghana's strategy. Ghana also defended fairly well and held a firm line in the back. They were exposed at times but no back line is perfect. Again, they successfully executed their game plan. So yes, I stand by my statements above. Oh and Ghana got a positive result...also part of the plan.

22. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well, i dont wake up at 4 am to watch these crappy games and performances or those horns blowing my mind off! i am actually getting more annoyed every game

so far, i didnt enjoy one single match .. Maybe the SK game and ARG games were the best of the worst, but again, i didnt wake up in the middle of the night to watch a serbian defender, algerian and english keepers make horrible mistakes that can be easily avoid..

I need games like Germany vs Costa rica in 2006..when can I get that?

23. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

In about and hour I'd say :D

Agreed on the horns of course.....hope our German support can actually drown that garbage out.

Deutchland Uber Alles! :)

24. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

about freaking time...

GO GERMANY!! make us proud!!!

25. Potash

Potash Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

Their midfield wasn't disappointing. Ghana's midfield of Annan and Prince were better.