Match 7 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2010.

1. littlecpz spammer

Jun 16, 2010
  2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please post the video of what Cahill did to get that red card?

3. Pfeife

Pfeife Member

Dec 19, 2005
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXibLtVDRA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXibLtVDRA[/ame]

that's the whole highlights, the scene with Cahil starts at 3:50.
    He slided into Schweinsteiger from behind without any real chance of getting the ball, tried to pull back his feet though.

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting.

I don't think that was red card worthy and neither did Schweinsteiger. That was a hard yellow card but not a red.

5. Marcson

Marcson New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wiesbaden
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for that extended highlights video, i missed that one scene near the end, with the double-passing between klose and podolski whilst being on the toilet...seen it for the first time now.

to cahill:
    i'm glad to see him getting suspended for only one game by fifa, given the fact the red card was too harsh in my opinion

6. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He only got a one match ban, so I guess FIFA also thinks it wasn't a harsh challenge.

7. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Let's go Germany and Bastian! I got ya on my fantasy team and I want to see more teams single themselves out from the field and dominate the competition!

8. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    No worries, Aussie. Didn't have a realistic chance in this game anyway, and if you're going to have a bad day at the WC, might as well have it against Germany.
    Just focus at the task at hand, which is win 2 games - go to the 2nd round.

As for 'immigrants' playing for various countries, I recall that the Italian (ice) hockey team from a few Olympics ago consisted of about 50% born Canadians - with good traditional Italian names such as Lambeau or McMillan - whose Italian citizenship applications seem to have been processed rather quickly.
    Wonder how long they ended up staying there......

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't that what usually happens? A red card means you miss the next game. Doesn't that rule apply to everyone unless you try to kill someone on the field or something??

Should be a great game tomorrow between the Socceroos and Ghana. Should be the best game of the day and it's a must win for the Socceroos!

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It can be up to a 3 match ban for direct red unless appealed.

11. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Or unless you are Brazilian -see Ronaldinho in 2002

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It depends on the offence. Serious Foul Play (which is what Cahill was sent off for) is a minimum one match suspension. Violent Conduct, for example, has a multiple match minimum (I can't remember what it is).

Getting one match doesn't necessarily mean 'FIFA didn't think it was harsh' - Serious Foul Play is, after all a serious offence in its own right. But it is relatively unusual. They usually get more than the minimum.

13. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Based on our return to normal formation and form over the last 2 games, there are a lot of Aussies who wish they could play this game again. ........ sigh!

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well at least you guys proved me right in saying australia is a tough tough side before our game, that I still thought had a 50/50 chance of advancing after that game. In the end you brought it down to the last few minutes of the group.

Wonder where those haters who hadn't seen them play, without any idea of the aussie spirit are at now?

15. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

The least you guys could have done for us was beat Ghana by 4 goals. That's not too much to ask is it? ;)

16. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's ironic.... that at the same time we scored, your two goals were what guaranteed us going through, making the end of our game moot. It even made ghana feel safe.