Match 7|Germany vs. Australia|13-06-10|Pre-match discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by Lusankya, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2010 World Cup
    Match 33
    13-June-2010 20:30
    Durban
    Moses Mabhida Stadium

Germany vs. Australia

[​IMG] [​IMG]

History:
    2 German wins
    0 Draws
    0 Australian wins

18.06.1974 Hamburg:
    Australia - Germany 0:3 (World Cup, first round)
    15.06.2005 Frankfurt:
    Germany - Australia 4:3 (Confederation Cup, first round)

2. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The '74 match was 3-0

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well we can have a good 7 months of banter before this game then! ;)

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Last time I thought getting a win in the first game would be vital to our chances. I don't think the same this time, but a draw would put us well on the way to the second round. Unfortunately for us the quality of opponent is higher this time. Germany really seem to be a tournament side and have a habit of getting results, even when off their game. We are getting a similar reputation in the Asian ranks, but thats a fair way behind doing it at World Cup and Euro level. Our best chance lies with Germany underestimating us. If, as seems likely, they regard Ghana and Serbia as the main threats they could be in for a surprise. We may just sneak a draw. I still rate us outsiders in the group, but not by as much as some seem to think. With a disciplined display we can get a result and hopefully get past the group stage. Doing this at two World Cups in a row would be a tremendous acheivment for a nation like us.

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Amen.

Getting any points from this match would be the biggest thing we've done as a footballing nation. It's the biggest test since Italy and the boys must be psyched.

Shit, I'm psyched already.

6. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm actually in a position where I have no idea what is going to happen. It's a very strong German team offensively, but can we stop them, and slip one past them? We kept slipping one past them in the only relevant match in recent history but they kept finding avenue's to goal. Mostly thanks to Klose and Ballack. I'm more confident now that we can shut them down but I'm curious as to where the goals are going to come from. Kewell and Cahill will have to have the mother of all tournaments. One thing you can always be guaranteed about a German anything, they'll be organized. From what I've seen so far, this game has the makings of a draw.

7. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's not a pretty thought really.

Gomez, Klose, Podolski running at Chippers, Moore and Neill...

They've got a bit of an issue in defense since Metzelder left, it's a youngish side and arguably they'll want to recall some of their more experienced CMs. Other than that, your usual German cliches apply (apart from "Germany are slow starters" which some Aussie "analyst" has cooked up in a fevered dream).

You could say it's balanced then as we're both organised teams only we defend well and aren't that hot in attack and they're the reverse but they're much better at this World Cup gig than we are so I don't hold out a lot of hope.

8. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think the midfield is a little more balanced than you think. Under some proper direction I'd say there would be the possibility of pulling off a win. But we'll never know.

9. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry fellas but your views of the german side are a bit outdated thanks to the last year or two...it's a new ballgame now and will probably change more before the world cup. Theres many new players who will challenge and a few breaking into the team. Oezil already has - watch out for Kiessling, Kroos, Marin, Hunt, Helmes, Hummels etc

As for me, I would be supporting australia and nz at this world cup, behind only Germany. So, I hope Germany wins but I want australia to come 2nd.

PS...now, if anyone can find a link to the billy birmingham 12th man soccer track they'll get a rep from me...;):D

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This one from about 6:30 in? But the whole track's worth a listen again- I think Ii've still go this on double cassette somewhere at home! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTfCmokLnec"]YouTube- Wired world of sports II[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  11. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ah Fukoffyabich, great player whose name is seldom heard these days.

12. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While you are right that our defense is our main problem area, Metzelder being ousted from the squad is the best thing that could have happened to us. :D

13. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    To put it simply (and crudely) we have a defence (or more precicely a defensive game) that can probably stop 9/10 of thier attacks, where as they may only stop 3/4 of ours. Germany will almost certainly create more chances than us but the game will be decided by whether that ratio is more than 10 chances to our 4?

14. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Big Max hasn't been on the screen since his nose impersonation. "What the ********!!" :)

Where was the part where he decked Ken Sutcliffe?

I'm not sure our group friends would appreciate such language. Or know what we are talking about regarding the 12th man. ;)

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hahaha.....awesome! :D

I can't post it here but i've got a way newer one of the 06 ashes focusing over the first ball of the series.... :D

16. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Personally I think Australia struggles most against players with a high level of dribbling skill (Messi, Ronaldo, Ribery etc). Saying this Australia will have to watch out for Oezil. Also Marin if he plays but unless it's as a sub I don't think he will.

17. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ballack and Özil will most likely be Germany's key players. Klose, Podolski etc are all good players, but Ballack is the brain of their game and Özil their most gifted creative player.

I can't see Australia winning this, I can't even see a draw. I think Germany will win this one 1 or 2:0.

18. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fully agree about Ballack. As I stated earlier he was the sole reason they beat us in 2005. The problem is while our defence has strengthened since then, our scoring options have dried up a bit. We still have Kewell and Cahill and even Bresciano who can all hit the back of the net so I wouldn't say it's a fait accompli, but you're right, we've got our hands full in our first game.

19. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ozzies 3
    krauts 1

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    anyone going to this game or wants to go to this game? please let me know via PM. i have tickets, but will not be able to go....

21. Sydneyartist

Sydneyartist New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    memememememememememmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!:D:D

22. motty

motty New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Clearly Germany are huge favourites to win, but it is the opening game, so Germany perhaps will be playing more cautiously. The other factor is that this will be like playing in Brisbane for the Aussies - the same warm, humid climate, which the German team might struggle with a little bit. So some hope there for us to snatch a point, though Germany still clear favourites.

23. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There would be no warm humid climate in a case, that the Germans couldn't handle very nice. This is pointless.

24. funnilov3

funnilov3 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Trust me, if Australia don't win this one (which they most likely won't) they will grind out a goaless draw whifh they can and will do if necessary.

25. Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Berlin
    I think Australia is a team that plays.... German. As the inventor of this style, that should be a game that fits us. Good game in any case. Too bad I just left OZ - would have loved to watch it over there. :)