Match 7 - FRA : ENG - RIZZOLI (ITA)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 7, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday, 11 June - Donetsk - 12:00 EST
    France : England
    Referee: Nicola RIZZOLI (ITA)
    Assistant referee: Renato Faverani (ITA), Andrea Stefani (ITA)
    Additional assistant referee: Gianluca Rocchi (ITA), Paolo Tagliavento (ITA)
    Fourth official: Pavel Kralovec (CZE)
    Reserve official: Roman Slyško (SVK)
    UEFA Delegate: Armen Minasyan (ARM)
    UEFA Referee observer: Jozef Marko (SVK)

Rizzoli has his full Italian quintet assisting him. The fourth official is Kralovec of Czech Republic.

This thread is for all pre-, play-by-play, and post-match discussion of the referee and other officials on the match. Only news and analysis or other facts/information related to the referees and the officiating should be posted here. This is not a team or rivalry thread and will be heavily moderated to ensure it remains that way. Please read the stickied thread at the top of this forum if you have further questions. Thank you.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rizzoli, from the same area of Italy as Collina, has been Italy's quick-rising star since Rosetti's retirement. He did the 2010 Europa League Final. His recent big matches:

UCL: Basel v Bayern (R16), Lyon v Real Madrid, Valencia v Chelsea, Marseille v Olympiacos
    EL: Athletico Bilbao v Schalke (QF)
    EURO 2012 qualifiers: Denmark v Portugal, Switzerland v England, Belgium v Turkey, Montenegro v Czech Republic

Somewhat oddly, he really didn't have a lot of big matches this season. Many thought he was being held for the UCL Final, on which he was the fourth official, but the referee assignment was not in the cards.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    He's having an awful game....(oh sorry, it hasn't started yet?!!)

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chairman of Big Soccer Rizzoli Bandwagon reporting.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I've been the Vice-Chair, or at least a Board member. But his Milan derby performance has given me some pause. I really hope it's out of his system because I want to see him do well here. Did you catch that match at all?

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the highlights.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I feel that the tackle of Chamberlain was close to a red.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you're going to get many people who feel similarly. Or maybe none at all.

I think my red threshold is lower than that of many others, and I didn't think it was remotely close to red. Frankly, Rizzoli probably could have gotten on without a yellow, though after my criticism of Kassai yesterday, I'm glad he did not (though the AR really forced his hand).

There's been nothing to do other than that tackle. Usually when people say "easy game to referee," they are saying it somewhat naively and a lot has had to do with things that the referee has done to control things preemptively and proactively. In this case, I think it truly has been an easy game to referee thus far.

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I feel it was a reckless tackle, without much control exercised by the player. And in the end, unintentional probably, it was aimed at the ankle.

I don't say it was a 100% red but I've seen referees giving red cards for reckless tackles like that one. A yellow was indeed the easy route.

10. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think this was close to red - I'd go careless, bordering on to reckless, but certainly not dangerous. As such, the caution wasn't the easy route - to me it was more of a message card to keep the game calm. To Rizzoli's credit, he's not had to be nor made himself the center of attention so far.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're answering all your questions. "Reckless," to start, is the standard for a caution, not a send off.

And it was unintentional where the contact was made. It was made where and how it was because the attacker cut back. Chamberlain showed no tell-tale signs of malice. Studs weren't exposed, leg wasn't raised, knee wasn't locked and there really was no significant force in it at all. Plus the contact, ultimate, was negligible.

No card, in fact, would have been the easy route. I really think you are seeing more in that tackle than there was. Would be interesting to hear from others watching.

12. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back to weekday football!

13. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well this England fan's $0.02...

If he mad made full contact with the tackle, for sure, easy yellow card. But with what actually happened, I see that as a soft yellow. I don't have a problem with it. AS MasRef said - Rizzoli is reminding the players that he is there, and the AR forced his hand on the decision.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Ribery with the barge in on Johnson's run. No call. That's a foul. I'm not impressed.

15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Gerrard with the foul on Ribery. Am I missing something here? Can our Italian call something?

16. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    AR was right there also.

Ribery gets clipped minutes later by Gerard, stays down and England refuses to kick the ball out (so much for the "Respect" logo on everyone's sleeve).

17. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England was right to play on - clearly not a serious injury, England had the ball and an attack. Frankly, it would have been more respect for the game if Ribery had stood up more quickly and got on with the game. IMO, he was milking it.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, when a guy gets clipped like that and the ref doesn't call a foul, it's really not the other team's responsibility to stop immediately. The ref is telling everyone that he didn't think there was a foul. And how can you know immediately if an injury was serious or not? I don't fault England whatsoever on this one.

That said, it was a foul, so I fault Rizzoli. He has let a few things go in the last 10 minutes. If Gerrard didn't go down theatrically and spectacularly, he might have got that call. But the one in front of the AR was just a bad miss by the AR. Interesting stuff. Nothing malicious and Rizzoli still has total control, but a few simple things in both directions just getting ignored.

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If you get kicked in the achilles like he did, you're also going to stay down.

I am aware. Just pointing it out. :)

20. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Good yellow on Young there.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rizzoli gives his best, "it's not my fault you suck right now" lecture.

Replay would be interesting, but think he got that right. English attacker was never getting to the ball and immediately went looking for an impeding foul.

22. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    But it's getting a little pissy. Time to be more assertive?

23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Hey, how much more are we going to accept from this guy before we say this isn't very good? Milner is pushed in the back after chesting, and before that there was impeding in the center of the field that should have resulted in a free and a yellow but we got neither.

24. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    dealing with that "injury"....
    he didn't even check on the player, just called on the medics
    some loss of respect both ways maybe?

25. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I can't think of anyone who's better. Kassai had problems too, and he's the only one that's close.