Match 64 (Final) - Netherlands v Spain Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Your CB's must be VERY slow then. ;)

Puyol & Pique are good CB's in my eyes, surely of A LOT more quality than i.e. a guy like Joris Matijsen. But this doesn't mean that they can't face trouble by your tricky offensive players if your manager analized the "Spain vs Germany" match properly and told his guys how they can be more successful against their pressing than the Germans...

Anyway, good luck to both countries ... I really don't begrudge the first world cup title to any side. After the group stage, my gut feeling told me that this well-organized Dutch team is gonna win the tournament ... but after watching Spain against Germany and seeing Paul's (the octopus) prediction ;), I'm not so sure anymore. Fact is that a final is actually always unpredictable, as so many unexpected things can happen. May the better win and let's enjoy an exciting & fair game!

2. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    You know, if Spain wins then Paul will be entitled the new Nostradamus. He'll be in History books for predicting the result of other tournaments, wars and even how many hundreds of women C. Ronaldo inseminated with his breathe.

3. completesoccerfan

completesoccerfan New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I would be surprised if they ate him, because he has many many followers now. I think that many people will bet on whatever the octapus chooses (Which to me is dumb) or will use his desicion if they are unsure between two teams. I think that is VERY dumb, he is an OCTAPUS for gods sake...!

But on the other hand, the octapus knows about this thing! He predicted EVERYTHING correctly so far, which is kind of impressive. Did paul predict 7 games until now, or conting with the finals it is 7?

Anyway, what are the odds of getting 7/7 right? I'll tell you:
    0.00078125!! I'm not sure if I got this math right, this seems awfully small...

I personally won't be listening to this octapus just yet, it is just for fun, not to be taken seriously lol. But who knows?

4. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    I think Paul knows he'll be turned into Calamari soon, so he's trying to buy time by making correct predictions using his psychic animal abilities

5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think he's in a public aquarium. Being made into dinner is not really a concern for Paul.

OTOH, the Dutch should be concerned about the venue. They got lucky and played five matches in a row at sea level, but Soccer City is 1500 meters up. How they going to be able to chase the Spanish midfield around the pitch at that elevation? They'll run out of gas by the second half. I think they'll have to play bunker ball, whether they want to or not. Which is too bad for us fans. :(

6. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Spain will have to play at the same elevation. I dont see how this is any advantage to Spain since they also played at sea level 2 of their last 3 games.

7. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It takes a lot less energy to kick the ball back and forth, rather than having to chase it. I think part of the Spanish strategy is to tire out the opponent with their possession game, creating more gaps as the match wears on. This will only be exacerbated when the venue is at altitude. It was audacious of Paraguay to start six fresh players for their match against Spain at altitude in Jo'burg, but it might have been the right idea. The Dutch can't really afford to do that tomorrow, of course. Perhaps the best approach will be to go all out from the first whistle, get a goal and then bunker. Trying to chase the Spaniards throughout the match won't work at 1500 meters, IMO.

8. pmhong

pmhong New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I agree that's what Holland must do, but unfortunately no team/coach has the guts to do that in the biggest game of the sporting world. Another key is, will the Dutch players come out scared of Spain or not?

I have to say, this is practically a dream final. Dutch and Spanish footballing nations frustrated forever at WC stage have a shot at the glory. So much at stake for both teams/nations. I can't bear to see losers after the match...

Also, Sneijder vs Villa is a dream match as well. Two short and super talented players carrying their teams with 5 goals each... Who will score and lead the nation to victory? Kind of like Romario vs Baggio in 94.

9. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I read a quote from Kuyt on ESPN.com saying the team isn't afraid of Spain, they respect them, but they aren't afraid. Plus, he says that they'll actually attack unlike like Germany or something like that. The coach also said the same thing about not fearing Spain.

Of course, he can talk the talk but if he can walk the walk is the question.

10. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain have been getting back to their best. The last part will be getting their shots on goal and putting away chances. I liked what I saw from David Silva if Pedro gets tired. This looks like it will be a battle, because Netherlands knows it has to take the fight to Spain where Germany held back. Nethelands may miss Van ser Saar.

11. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FWIW-Spains base camp in South Africa was Potchefstroom which as an elevation of just over 1300 meters. Also they trained in Austria prior to heading to SA. There was a specific reason DB wanted to train in Austria and stay in Potchefstroom. I guess he knew all along Spain would make the final.

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!!

12. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    I seriously cannot wait for this game, it's as if I am Dutch or a Spaniard myself, my two favorite nations meeting for the first time in the WORLD CUP FINAL!. Ever since I can remember I have been rooting for these two countries and time and time again they would crash out disappointingly (except for Euro 2008)...I don't even know who I want to win, I guess Spain but just by a hair since they would achieve the rare feat of an international double but I wouldn't be mad if the Netherlands won it.

13. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, been an amazing tournament, very much a world cup for the underdogs as many an announcer has been speculating since before it even started. With neither Holland or Spain having won a World Cup before to my knowledge it's bound to be a very historic win for either side, personally I can't call it either way as both teams have amazingly skilled players with a hell of a lot of passion. At their best, I'd give it to Spain, but they simply haven't reached those heights as of yet

14. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To my spanish brothers and dutch friends i only hope 4 a clean match

15. Eric_ajax

Eric_ajax New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm always suprised when some people here are so easily jumping to conclusions and thinking it's a plus for their own team (Spain in this case). Especially when it's a mod on here.

For your info: The Netherlands have been preparing before the World Cup in Seefeld (Austria) and their base camp during the whole World Cup has been on Wits University in Johannesburg... on around 1500 meters.

So there goes all your talk about how well Spain is prepared on hight...
    It won't make a difference, both are well prepared for the hight.

16. Eric_ajax

Eric_ajax New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where have these talks been?
    Because I have never heard about this untill you wrote it... in none of the official channels there's talk about this. So it's simply not going to happen.

Robben will start imo. Old line up like as the one against Brasil.

17. Eric_ajax

Eric_ajax New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Same to you, may the best team win.

Cheers to a fair and good game! :)

18. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

He'll be disected alive for scientific purposes.

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thanks ;)

I only hope for a win. Whatever it takes. If not, I might just decide to join Paul at the lab.

20. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    haha! :D

i'm just messing with some people's minds, there were some reports about robben having a set back after the uruguay match and that we're afraid that he might get injured during the final, but he's still expected to start ofcourse.

21. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    happy bday andre ooijer, he's 36 today!

[​IMG]

22. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I bow to your superior knowledge. I'll get down Ladbrookes now and stick a tenner on Van Bronckhorst to score first. :rolleyes:

23. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This game seems like a 'Hollywood' movie.Two very good teams,neither has ever won the WC before. Both have great history,at club and player level, little at NT. That will change for one. Both can play a possession game,brought to Barca/Spain by Dutch coaches and players.
    This should be a great game to watch.
    No bad Ref. calls, and no injuries. Please!
    Pre game cigar,in game cigar,post game victory cigar ready, 'Oranje' juice and vodka on hand, Oranje game outfit on. :D
    Fun! :eek:

24. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    holland champions of the world

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The walrus is Paul... Peter is the prognosticator.