Match 64 (Final) - Netherlands v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :rolleyes:

Sure thing: he favored Spain because instead of handing out straight red cards to Van Bommel and De Jong, he gave them yellow cards so that later they might end up getting another yellow card and get ejected!

Which 1st half yellow card to the Netherlands do you think would have been reversed with a no card (as opposed to being penalized with a red) if FIFA allowed replays?

I have to hand it to you: your argument is unique; no one else (not even the staunchest Dutch fans) have argued that the yellow cards handed to the Dutch in the 1st half were a sign of the referee favoring Spain:D

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    for the answer to that you don't even need to examine the fouls in question. because not even the most blinkered, kneejerk, ill-considered pro-video demagogues are calling for video to judge this kind of question in real time. no one wants soccer to start resembling baseball for continuity of play.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree, but since baybar linked the issue regarding the yellow cards handed to the Netherlands in the first half to FIFA not wanting replays, I was curious exactly which yellow cards he felt would be reversed with no cards if we did have an admittedly ridiculous replay system that would interrupt the game even when fouls were being called and cards were being issued.

Anyway, I don't even know why I bothered responding to "baybar" and his bizarre comment. Except it was so bizarre that I just couldn't let it go.

4. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    They smoke some good shiiit over there! ;)

5. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Have still barely got over my devastation after Sunday's final. Keep thinking back to Robben's misses, what would have happened had they made it to penalties, etc. I keep telling myself Spain were the better team, deserved to win etc, but this only has a limited effect.

But yeah, to be honest I think that if Robben scored his first one-on-one chance, the Spanish would somehow have found a way to equalize. Don't know why, just had a feeling. I even partially had this feeling for the second chance, which occurred later in the game, especially given Holland's tendency to concede injury time goals (R16, SF). I'm sure that most of the 180,000 other fans watching the game with me on Museumplein would have thought quite the opposite, though...

Anyway, I have zero problem if in the future the Dutch continue to play to win (at the expense of "beautiful play") like they have done this tournament. Two reasons why I approve:

1) Evidently they are much more likely to win games and get deep in tournaments this way...

2) ...and when they do finally lose, it makes it much easier for me to cope with than if they completely played the other team off the pitch (either during the current match or in their previous matches), gained the adoration of football fans worldwide, yet still somehow choked and lost. I would be 10x as devastated if they lost the 2010 final this way!!

By the way, I also agree after watching the footage that de Jong didn't see Alonso. That still makes it a stupid act since he should of course have "seen" before going for the ball like that. But yeah, do some of you really think he would deliberately karate kick Alonso in Holland's biggest match in 32 years, with a huge chance of him getting sent off and becoming a national scapegoat?

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I call bs and wishful thinking on the idea that he didn't "see" Alonso. It's a joke. Alonso didn't come out of nowhere. He was directly in front of De Jong from the beginning and De Jong knew it was a 50-50 before he even started to move. A professional midfielder going for a pop-up ball directly in the middle of the pitch does not have the same awareness as a 90 year old Alzheimer's patient.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1ugeNa_Ck"]YouTube- Nigel de Jong karate kick at Xabi Alonso[/ame]

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    how one can look at any video and claim de jong didn't see xabi alonso is beyond me; it's the summum of bad faith. he's almost looking right at him!

of course he didn't mean to kick him quite like that, but he went in an intention to intimidate more than anything else: that "50-50" ball was actually closer to 30-70. even if he did get that ball he was liable to be whistled for dangerous play, responsible players just don't put their studs that high with other players around.

webb looking at replays must wonder to himself what possessed him not to send de jong off immediately.

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's because you guys are looking at video's with a 300x200 resolution where faces look like big unrecognizable blobs. Just look at some video's in quality ffs where you can actually distinguish where a player is looking!!

You people are just seeing what you want to see...

9. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe you need to get a bigger monitor if the only thing you see is "unrecognizable blobs" or get some work done on your eyes. :D

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    De Jong's action speaks for itself: he went for a move you might try at a kung-fu exhibition in the middle of a football match! Even if De Jong didn't realize that he was going to hit Alonso, you just don't try to kick a football like that. Which is all the more reason why to believe De Jong was actually trying as much to foul someone as he was trying to hit the ball.

To be sure, I don't think he was trying to kick Alonso specifically in the manner he ended up hitting him. My own view is that he wanted to stop that play from developing by wailing in the air in that manner so he would basically cover as much space in order that he would either get to deflect the ball or end up committing something akin to a professional foul. I come to that conclusion only because I can't believe De Jong would be so stupid to intentionally try to make a kung-fu move on Alonso and risk a red card. Otherwise, the evidence from his action would even support the latter conclusion.

11. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My 30" monitor is just fine. But would be nice if you would actually would respond with an argument or something instead of these pathetic personal stabs.

12. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Apparently it isn't, seeing as you are the only one suffering from seeing "unrecognizable blobs" everywhere where there's a pretty damn clear picture.

Respond with arguments? It's been shown a couple of times now and your amazing 'argument' is that you can not see it :D lol.

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Happens all the time

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO-VPb2yQcA"]YouTube- Louis van Gaal - Karate Kick[/ame]

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Take a pic for me and demonstrate how you can see where de Jong is looking.

Discussing with you is really impossible. Cant someone give this guy a ban?

15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Please, if you don't want people disagreeing with you, why post on a messageboard? :D

Why don't you put a picture of the action in HD here, since every possible manner of proof is not 'proof' in your eyes, and show that he does not look directly at Xabi when he kicks him? Shouldn't be a problem should it?

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you both should recognize that your positions on this issue are pretty well set. Perhaps it's time to move on.

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not about disagreeing, it's about you coming up with nothing other than petty insults.

Know some place where you can upload 2500x2000 res pictures?

Here's a link to a small version. http://img228.imageshack.us/f/oscarsanidiot.jpg/

De Jong is staring at the ball and at Xavi, he doesn't look further to the right until Alonso hits the ball. But you can really see this much better when the picture is actually moving.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You can't be serious comparing the two situations. In one, the player moves his legs too high to hit the ball, which he hits with the top of his shoes. In the case of De Jong, he hits Alonso in the chest with his cleats, which was also the only thing connected to his body that had the remotest chance of hitting that ball.

19. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No offense, but I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

People intercept balls with high flying kicks all the time. Most people look before they do it, that's the only difference.

20. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You are seriously posting that picture after having complained about not being able to see anything clearly on the vids and pictures posted in this thread already? Seriously? :D

Just an fyi, other people can see the whole game when they want to. So they can see you paused it at a time BEFORE Xavi has even headed it on, AFTER which de Jong sees the ball going towards Xabi and goes straight for him with his challenge.

Why did you make a picture of that, as opposed to let's say of 27.40 where you can see de Jong going straight for Xabi when he sees the ball going his way? I wonder.

21. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is it so hard to agree to disagree?

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am saying a player does not ordinarily run towards another player and the ball from the distance De Jong started his move, jumping in the air with his cleats up, to try to intercept a ball with his cleats -- which was the only thing connected to his body that had the remotest chances of hitting the ball. That is not an ordinary posture to a hit a ball. Instead, it is indicative of a player trying to make a reckless play where his real intention is to scuttle the play in anyway possible, whether through an unlikely deflection of the ball off his cleats or through body contact with the opposing attacker.

The only thing I agree with is that De Jong probably didn't intend to specifically hit Alonso with his cleats in the manner he did because that would have been stupid of him. But IMO he was jumping to disrupt the opponent's play more than trying to maybe hit the ball way high with his cleats.

23. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Where would Bigsoccer be without disagreements?

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Disagreements can be worked out but in this case neither one of you are will to give an inch. If that's the case what's even left to discuss? You two have going in circles and that's all.

25. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whatever. Keep on thinking that De Jong tried to kill one of the least important Spanish players by making a flying kick to the chest on the middle of the field without provocation or any kind of necessity. Risking a red card in the 30th minute of the most important match in his entire career, one of the most important matches in Dutch history. With absolutely no possible positive effects. Really intelligent...:rolleyes: Your mom must be proud.