Match #62 - NED : ARG - ÇAKIR (TUR)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by La Rikardo, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually last few minutes both teams had created openings.

Really bad error by Cakir.

2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What CMI's were there ?

The one where his assitstant flagged wrongly Higuain missed the shot. Other wrong offside decision they gave where the Dutch player was on first half didn't lead to much either so bit lucky in that.

3. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Cakir stops dutch keeper from intimidation. Different keeper from Costa Rica, Cakir still prepared and steps in quick

4. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That second ARG penalty was awesome.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    On one hand, yes. But Cakir knows he goes down every time he is fouled -- therefore him not going down is a clue he wasn't fouled. Perhaps not a reliable one int his case, but sometimes you get what you sow.

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Considering how dreadful this game was, it was just putting everyone out of their misery.

7. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm being generous with the use of a CMI, but he made no match critical errors, and he simply did quite well overall. The players decided the game, it was well controlled, consistent, and apart from the lack of attacking opportunities, decently fun to watch.

Having gone 120, with one less day of rest, I feel bad for Argentina. Germany will be exceptionally tough to beat.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Tough game for me to take. Other than the blown call on Robben in the 1st period of ET (he clearly was held), I don't have many complaints with the officiating. Teams played pretty cleanly as well with very little hacking and PI.

Hararea and Guinho repped this.
  9. Zingo

Zingo New Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Cakir could (and probably should) have given a yellow or two more. Not because the fouls deserved it, but mainly because he was very inconsitend with the yellows he DID give. It really is time to let the video-ref land into this game.

10. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    His "inconsistency" is a result of FIFA wanting less PI and tactical foul cautions. The soft yellow he gave Martins Indi was because he just warned him for a foul on Messi, then he fouled Messi again shortly after.

Hararea repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I disagree a little bit. From what I'm able to remember right now:

• Thiago Silva got yellow carded for blocking the goalkeeper's path while bringing the ball back into play. He was suspended as a result. Cakir could have done the same in this match.
    • Very bad challenge on Sneijder by Demichelis
    • Huntelaar his yellow card (foul on Mascherano) was unfair, as was the one for Indi

12. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Cakir would have made my day had he booked Sneijder for his constant dissenting gestures (that arm throwing thing that seems to suggest he would want to punch the referee if only he were close enough)

13. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    - I had a meeting and had stepped away from the TV so didn't see this.

- Should've been a caution.

Indi can have no complaints. The first "tackle" on Messi was a caution for me.

Clearly the bar for visual displays of dissent has been set somewhere towards the top of the troposphere...

14. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I think the players got what they deserved: kicks from the mark, horrible way to settle it, but, this game, honestly sitting on the couch watching: I almost fell asleep a few times; BORING game. Both sides played like they were afraid to make a mistake. Neither side played to win, they played to not lose and hope the other guys screwed up. HORRIBLE way to play in my opinion, especially at this stage. "All or nothing" is all over the place down there, play like that, play with no fear, play to win!

Sorry, that aside, what everyone else said, ref was good, some head scratchers, but same for most of the games down there. I LIKED the caution on the second foul against Messi, first should have, and would have most times, been a caution. Second was MUCH lighter but got the caution for either PI or tactical.

Failure to caution the preventing the keeper from punting was inconsistent with the Brazil game.

Another game the refs played no part in deciding the game, which is what you want.

15. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    Something that really stood out to me in this match was how tentative AR1 Bahattin Duran was in general. First, there was the goal kick/corner kick situation where I believe Cakir made the call after Duran initially signaled the wrong way. Then there were two fouls right on the touchline where Duran's immediate reaction was to look at Cakir, even though Duran should have had the best angle on the play. Then, after Cakir makes the decision to call the foul, Duran puts up the flag. I obviously don't know what the pregame instructions were, but Duran did not seem to know when he should get involved.

jarbitro repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, yet again, this was a misinterpretation from the announcers. I believe he signaled goal kick as we never saw the flag actually go up.

One thing I noticed, watching a few AR2s (including the Turkish one) is that they do not run the ball down to the goal line or even goal area on an obvious goal kick. There were a couple times when I saw AR2 signalling goal kick from 8-10 yards upfield. I can only guess that AR1 used the same mechanic. So when a camera catches AR1 signaling goal kick from the position he was in when the ball was played out--well, it's going to look like a possible offside. But there's no actual evidence the flag went up in this case or in the Wondolowski case.

17. sinan

sinan Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I was going to write this before the game, forgot.

One think we always see with Cakir's games over the years, his games are always boring, because he unnecessarily stops the play and kills the momentum, give warnings, his games are always a low tempo game. I could not watch today's game very well though, I was wondering if the boringness of today's game was due to him too.

18. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    The words Poor and Neymar can never be used in the same sentence.

19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    About the match.....this is two consecutive WC's where the Dutch have decided to change their style of play from what got them to that point. Remember the slash and burn final from 2010? Yesterday, not as vicious, but still they took no chances. After Robben was deployed out on the right for most of the WC, they proceeded to have him receive the ball in the middle where Mascherano and company had their way with him. V. Persie was a total non factor (ill, was the explanation). And if Schneider sent one more free kick into touch, V. Nistelroy was going to come out of the booth and grab him. And if Dirk Kuyt has to play 120 for you, truly you aren't a great side.

I happen to like defending, so I didn't find the game as boring as others did. Vlaar was huge for the Dutch (United will probably bid 30 million for him now!). The Argentines with Zabaleta and Dimichelis were very good as well. Cannot underestimate playing as club teammates when you are on the back line. Without Dimaria, Messi had to go it alone. Even he can't go 1 v. 6. And then there was the strangeness of not using Krul again. I guess it came down to fitness. DiJong couldn't go more than an hour, and They couldn't risk the clown with the yellow for more than a half, and when v.Persie looked like he was going to toss his cookies, the shootout option went away. The kid 'keeper had never stopped a penalty in a senior game IN HIS LIFE! Also, , V.Gaal used probably his worst shooter to go first? What was that.

About the referee....great job. About running all the way to the goal line on every ball. So last century!

JohnW repped this.
  20. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    4 fouls in the first 30 minutes...I doubt it.

21. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Brazil vs. Mexico in group play--now that was a real snooze!

22. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Your perspective matches my perspective about the game and the refereeing. While there was some inconsistency in YCs (again), I think the really bad missed one was the foul on Sneijder.

Also, si.com reporting that Van Gaal asked two other players to shoot first and both refused, so it went to Vlaar:

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/07/10/netherlands-world-cup-argentina-semifinal-van-gaal

23. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Will use that as my excuse on my next assessment. ;)

24. Nermin Kolašinac

Jun 5, 2013
    Lahmfan's crib
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina