Match #61 - BRA : GER - RODRIGUEZ (MEX)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1 minute.

Hararea repped this.
  2. lemma

lemma Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Was I hallucinating or did it not even get to 90 minutes?

3. sjt8184

sjt8184 Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Just shy of 2 minutes added...

4. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rodriguez didn't want to deal with giving a card with 10 seconds to go. Easier for both teams if he doesn't.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was certainly not what we were expecting. Referee crew is probably absolutely bewildered after that, in a good way.

Cevno repped this.
  6. CardsAsAWeapon

Apr 28, 2013
    They did well to land the plane without any horrible accidents (or 'accidents'). Blowout games where one team has nothing to lose can go very wrong very quickly. (Although it helps in this case that the losing team looked absolutely deflated and lost rather than angry...)

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes the game takes care of itself! Good for the referee!

8. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like how he grabbed the ball at 91:50 and blew shortly thereafter. That ball is on its way back to Mexico....

GoDawgsGo, colman1860, AremRed and 2 others repped this.
  9. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #84 Dayton Ref, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    BAHAHAHAHA. Its okay I grew up going to Northwestern pointy ball and Cubs baseball. One win a year was a good year.

OkieZebra repped this.
  10. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    so, what did I miss?

:ROFLMAO:

11. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Well I was pulling (slightly) for Germany to win, but didn't exactly have this in mind. I appreciate how Brazil came out playing at the start of the second half when the game was essentially lost, and had several very good chances that only some emergency defense and goalkeeping turned away. Would have made for a much more interesting second half if they could have put a couple of those in the net. Rodriguez did what he needed to do to land the plane, and everyone got out of there intact except for a bit of Brazil's pride. We'll see what Germany has left for the final.

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One win for the Cubs? Sounds about right.

Justin Z, Dayton Ref and OkieZebra repped this.
  13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought Geiger did a great job.

Justin Z, jarbitro, La Rikardo and 5 others repped this.
  14. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If Argentina beats Brazil for the third place then there will be a real civil war. Anyway, Fred has got to be the worst player in the World Cup. If he was iranian, he wouldnt have been called up.

15. mudhen

mudhen Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hey! Look on the sunny side. The Germans only beat the U.S. by ONE!

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That late goal ruined a great headline.

Bras-nil, Ger-many

Doug the Ref, Justin Z, jarbitro and 3 others repped this.
  17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #92 Alberto, Jul 8, 2014
    Agreed. If I did not know better, it looked like a dream I did not believe what I witnessed. It was surreal.

Billy South Philly repped this.
  18. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I thought the rhythm of the match was off from the get go. Brazil was playing wildly in the first few minutes and it was though they had a premonition that only by striking first could they win. But, their method was madness. After the first goal, how many of you thought it was going to be a rout? I know it's 20/20 hindsight, but I turned to my daughter and said this is 6-0.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 Alberto, Jul 8, 2014
    Big Felipão needs to sit there and answer the press corps questions rather than storming out when they ask tough questions. As the technical director, the buck stops with him and frankly he did a terrible job preparing this team for this game. Those tactics he employed allowed Germany to attack. Brasil constantly lost it's shape defensively and lacked a real commitment to working hard to get into position defensively.

20. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma

<<---------- go pokes

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #96 Alberto, Jul 8, 2014
    I had picked Brasil to win going into the tournament. In fact I had the four semi-finalists in my pre-World Cup selections. That said, when Silva and Neymar went out, I held little hope for Brasil to beat Germany. Like many, I felt Brasil needed to score first. Like you, I was concerned if Germany scored first, Brasil would be in trouble. A fragile team, perhaps that explains why Scolari hired the psychologists. Lacking organization defensively without Thiago Silva and quality in finishing except for Neymar Jr this was a recipe for distaster.

Congratulations to Germany.

I feel bad for Marco Rodriguez. That was basically a do nothing match. Brasil was a shell of it's self and didn't really resort to fouling. That 10 minute stretch destroyed Brasil and made the match a joke.

22. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 67th minute, Paulinho was called offside. He was in an offside position when his teammate hit the ball towards him, then Mertesaker flicked the ball on (Paulinho was in an onside position when this occurred), and the ball reached Paulinho where he performed a bicycle kick.

Is this the correct way enforce offside?

Hararea repped this.
  23. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Well, nobody can say ta bad decision by the ref decided this game . :D

bigredfutbol and That Cherokee repped this.
  24. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I watched that play (I'm pretty sure it's the same one), I said no offside because of the deliberate play by the defender -- which would match one of the FIFA (UEFA?) videos on the Garcia-Aranda site where a defender essentially tries to head the ball and it goes a way he didn't intend it.

But I don't necessarily have a problem with this being offside if that's what it's supposed to be (and in lower divisions I do I'd likely flag it since there's little chance it's any type of controlled effort)

25. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EDIT: when I first replied to this post I had a brain fart and was thinking Paulinho was on the German team. If anyone read that, ignore what I said :)

If Mertesaker played the ball (which USSF defines as "possesses and controls", and I'm sure the international standard is more of less the same), then this would be an incorrect call.

However, if Mertesaker did not play the ball, and instead it was just a deflection, then offside is not reset, and the correct call was made.

It comes down to a judgment call, and I wish we had a video of the play to make a judgment ourselves.