Match 60 (QF) - Paraguay v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by JaredSS07, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Great game and team effort by Paraguay. They proved that they belonged to be in this game. In fact, they could have snatched the game with a bit of luck. IMO, the biggest blow to them was Valdez getting hit in the tigh and having to leave the game. Santa Cruz was off and lazy, not in tune with the rest of the team. He could have scored on the rebound had he kept himself inline with the player who took the shot, and would have reached the ball a split second sooner and more likely to tap the ball into the net.

Overall, nice job by Paraguay; should be proud of themselves.

2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's ignore people saying Spain is not good enough, or they don't win with enough style. Those are likely people who's team has lost, and they're consoling themselves by telling fans of teams who've gotten further that they're not very good. :)

Spain is an excellent passing team, but Paraguay is so fast to the ball they would give anybody trouble. I think things will open up more in the semifinals. Spain is more than Villa, although Villa is great. We don't have to look farther than the scoring play to remember that Pedro hit the post.

I'm having trouble deciding who I should favor in the next round. Spain is no Argentina or England. Germany shouldn't get four. Fabregas should probably start so that Spain has a better chance of scoring 2 or more.

3. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused. Many on here seem to be very confident (for each side actually) as to whether Paraguay's goal in the first half was properly or improperly disallowed for the offside violation.

I've watched a lot of soccer but I am not an experienced player.

I watched on fifa.com the explanation for laws of the game with video illustrations explaining offside. And it seems pretty clear that - even with this extensive rulebook with video illustrations that its not clear one way or the other.

There is one example shown where the ball is passed on the ground into space. One attacking player runs to the ball from an offside position while another attacking player runs to the ball from an onside position. Fifa.com says the referee should wait to see who actually plays the ball before deciding whether its a violation or not. This might imply that running towards the ball or jumping towards the ball but not actually touching the ball or not actually being able to shield the ball from someone else is not an offside violation.

The Paraguay situation also doesn't seem to fit into the situation fifa.com gives as examples for distracting an opponent.

What makes you folks who are sure so sure that your interpretation is the right one?

4. futbalfn

futbalfn New Member

May 20, 2007
    I see the key difference between Spain of 2008 and Spain of 2010 is the absence of Senna (due to injury) and inclusion of Busquets. Not many folks have been talking about this. Busquets has been awful, especially in the first half against Paraguay. He gives up the ball, passing is off the mark, and he lacks the usual Spanish midfield creativity. He looks nervous. Senna was arguably Spain's his MVP in 2008--controlled defensively and his passing completion rate was off the charts. It's been frustrating watching Busquets, and think that Cesc would be an able replacement.

5. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Alonso was worse than Busquets against Paraguay.

6. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    It's not only that, it's the whole formation. In Euro 2008 every player was played to their strengths.

We had a 4-4-2 with Silva and Iniesta as false wingers, and Xavi and Senna in central midfield. Now we has this messed up 4-3-3 with every player out of position.

7. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
  8. Furia_Roja

Furia_Roja New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :d:d:d

9. Furia_Roja

Furia_Roja New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For God's shake, he's 26 and coming out of surgery!!!!!! And, if Pedro had passed him the ball on this 2 vs 1 play his confidence would be back. IMHO his best match is still to come