Match 60 (QF) - Paraguay v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by JaredSS07, Jul 2, 2010.

1. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I would be interested to know if the Spanish public would be happy winning the world cup ugly. Spain have never won it so I guess most would say yes. England sure would!

Brazil can afford to demand style with the win.

2. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ofcourse the altitue in la paz would not be a factor at all in your most unbias opinion correct?So why does germany winning 4-0 against argentina hol weight that they are all of a sudden the best team in the cup, when you make these statements that they lost to bolivia as if they were never any good period. Around the same time Brazil beat Portugal 6-2 Aswell do you remember that? the same portugal spain beat. Portugal at the time also had not conceided a gol in 14 games, until they met the spaniards.

Bunch of fair weather fans that are salty about their countries results is all I see here. Spain hasn't looked great because we managed to play every defensive team in the world cup besides italy. San iker is back, the germans do not fear us so they'll engage us, which will leave open space for Spain to unleash la furia roja.

Honestly I feel your riding the germany bandwagon, so at the end of the day the english will say we lost to the best team in the tournament and gave them a fight. The english always make excuses for their national team. I seriously doubt england will qualify for euro 2012, the english team is in ruins but luckily for them the french meltdown has overshadowed their demise.

3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It's just the fact that Germany have won with Style and power, and demolished 2 high ranked teams in a row. 3 even if you count Australia!

Spain have yet to show anything like that form YET. Maybe something will change against Germany, but it doesn't look likely right now.

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I would yes and I think most would say the same. We aren't in a position like Brazil or Barcelona where we can choose to be winners and win with style. Idealy it would be both of course but I'll choose the Cup before anything else.

5. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Portugal had a better performance than england, were in the group of death, managed to get a point from brazil and qualify for the knockout stages.

Beating Portugal holds alot more weight than beating england, which i would compare to spains victory over honduras.

I never believed into english hype, or the argentinean hype, what coach takes 6 forwards to a world cup? I knew germany would win, figured it'd be a scoreline of 3-1. DO NOT for a second try to insinuate that the germans have faced a team that is spains equal, because they have not.

It will be a tough game for both sides, I'm confident that Spain will emerge victorious, but all I can say for sure is the winner of this match will win the world cup. Spain is the only team that can stop the germans from lifting the world cup.

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Then again Holland were destroying teams in Euro 2008 and then from nowhere Russia ripped them apart in the 1/4 final.

So I bet Spain win 3-0 now :D

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

This is a very poor Portugal team. The worst for 10 years aside from Ronaldo.

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally disagree. I have a fondness for Spain, but seeing the wonderful stringing of passes together to open space around the box is what has won me over. They do not resort to the lightning counter or headers on crosses like so many others, but play a lovely kind of patient ball seeking something incisive up front. Frankly, they're the closest to the jogo bonito I've seen in this cup.

9. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    02 was worse considering performance

10. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Germany in 2000 was even worse :D

11. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Yeah their style is unique, but it allows the opponents time to set up and organize their defense. It is beautiful to see them break through defensive sides though.

12. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Both Haedo and Cardozo where onside, it was a terrible call and if it was the US I bet you would be calling bloody murder.

Admit it, Spain have been extremely lucky this entire tournament... beat Chile due to their keeper coming all the way out, beat Portugal with an offsides goal, and this today.

Don't worry, the Germans are gonna expose em like they did with Argentina today.

13. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I find slow passing constantly in circles very boring after a while.
    Of course it's great in short spells, but for the entire game it's very dull
    watching a team pass it around in defence slowly for 20 minutes.

I prefere fast high tempo passing and counter attacks are what make exciting football. It's far more dynamic IMO

Argentina had the best overal mix of both in my opinion, they just can't defend LOL

14. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

EXACTLY! Someone else who has noticed this.

Slow passing allows organised teams to set up their defence and predict
    what's going to happen and close all channels.

It does not stretch the opponents defence or allow swift counter attacks.

I agree it's great when it works, but it's a fine art and must not be done for the whole 90 minutes or it gets very boring and ineffective.

15. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nope it was offsides, univison used their 360 technology which showed at the exact point the ball was kicked the paraguayan player was clearly off sides, and the commentator said he was satisfied with the decision, gave alot of credit to the referee. He did say that Paraguay should of had a retry at the penalty, as well as spain deserving another penalty kick because of the paraguayan goal keepers fault

16. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The problem is they do it too slowly. If they did it with a more Barcelona-like speed, they would be great to watch.

17. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Someone's a bit bitter that once again it will be an all euro final again. The brazilians have been the harshest critics of spain, even at the time when spain won euro 2008. Even though they had losses to venezuela and ecuador, they still claimed to be the best in the world. This brazilian team does not compare to the team they sent in france 98 or korea/japan 2002. Things aren't looking good for them in brazil 2014 either, which im sure a european team will win again, probably Spain :).

That gol was clearly offsides, and the ref did a great job in the match showing no bias for either side.

18. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

EXACTLY!

Argentina and moreso Barcelona are great at doing it at the correct tempo.

Spain have the technique, I just wish they would do it a bit FASTER and more dynamically, vary the tempo more.

That Argentina goal in 2006 was a perfect example of this style too.

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    And it's not like it would be difficult to get them to play that way. Half the team plays in Barcelona.

20. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Maybe they feel doing it slower is more true to the Spanish way? lol I don't know. Draw them in slowly.

Holland traditionally also have this style with their total football. Barcelona had many dutch players helping them play like this when Overmars was there.

21. magia

magia New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Asuncion
    Paraguay played an excellent game today, at the end both teams could have ended winning. Next world cup will be in SA, so if they improve they got a good chance to get to semis.

Spain is an excellent team and are honorable people. Same can´t be say about some of they press.

22. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more fighting about racism and Spain vs South America; if it continues we will have to deal out infractions.

Please stay on topic.

23. Alexnova

Alexnova Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How cool is del Bosque? loved his reaction after the 1st goal was scored.

24. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    DB was not a happy camper today, he said the team was very slow in the first half although they picked it up when Cesc came onto the pitch. Sometimes you win while not playing your best futbol and today Spain won.

As for the injury list:

Cesc hurt his shoulder when he was tripped by the keeper on Xabi Alonso's missed PK, no word yet whether it was separated or what.

Sergio Ramos got 2 stitches above his eyebrow when he was kicked on the head on the last play of match.

Puyol who was subbed out when he got hit in the head and lost his vision for a few moments.

I am sure the list will be longer come tomorrow morning.

Time to hit the sack and call it a day, a great day indeed!!

Aupa Espanha!

25. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved the match, not suitable for people with heart problems!