Match 60 (QF) - Paraguay v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by JaredSS07, Jul 2, 2010.

1. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yes, spain's group of Switzerland Honduras and Chile was mesmerising.

Spain qualfied by the skin of their teeth too on the last day. They very easily could have been knocked out if Chile didn't have a player sent off.

2. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    I see a lot of buts ifs etc.

England were terrible deal with it. You must be like the only English supporter even claiming otherwise.

3. techfall

techfall Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are you trollin'?? if we use your logic.. we should just end the world cup right now and just hand over the cup to Serbia..

I mean come on.. They beat the almighty Germans. More than England or Argentina could have ever done. right?

Get a grip on reality, my friend. There is a reason why they play the games.. and not just decide them on hypothetical situations of team A doing something to team B because they did so to team C.

4. midnight83

midnight83 New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain won two matches in group and are now in the WC semifinals. It's true that they've been underwhelming. What's ridiculous is how your trying to use some twisted logic to compare England's performance to Spain. They got knocked out in the round of 16 and Spain got to the semis. It's as simple as that. Twisted logic isn't going to change that.

5. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    any photos of larissa riquelme before/during/after today's match? heck, any photos of her at all?!? lol

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Spain have been saved by Villa time and time again, he is papering over the cracks that paraguay exposed today with a mediocre team.

Germany is going to be a whole other ball game. If Villa isn't on form then Spain are in serious trouble.

7. techfall

techfall Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There are nudes out there on the net.. not posting cuz ill get the ban hammer.. but you should be able to find them easily on google. haha ;)

8. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Portugal was ranked number 3 in the latest FIFA Standings.

Come to think about it the Germans lost to the Serbs in this WC!! Oh I forgot this is a piss on the Spaniards thread because my homeboys (insert country) got their asses eliminated in a previous round! :D

Aupa Espanha y Todo Por La Patria!!

Er Pichi

9. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I do not understand all the hate spain is getting, who would hate one touch attacking football? I suppose because the media made out Spain to be a monster power house, it became trendy to get on the hate spain bandwagon. Perhaps we had a few calls go spains win vs portugal, but this is a country known for their shenanigans on the field and the ref didn't want to see any of that bull that day.

I'm confident about our chances vs germany, no one gave us a shot in hell in euro 2008 but when it came down to it we got the job done. We are familiar with their players, and their tactics. Ride the spain hate train all you want, it's not going to put one at the back of the net for germany.

10. midnight83

midnight83 New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you finally dropped the ridiculous England scored 2 goals on Germany argument.

Regarding Spain, if Torres finally get benched for the whole game, I think Spain has more of a chance. Fabregas and Pedro opened the game up today.

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Spain are fortunate they did not have to play Germany in the second round.

Spain are being tarnished by their "favourites" tag while Germany are doing the opposite as usual. That is why Spain are getting slaughtered by the media and people as overrated.

Spain of 2008 was much better then this team. 2010 relies way too much on Villa.

12. pmhong

pmhong New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    If Villa doesn't show up, they got 10 other players who will make up.

I love Spain for several reasons, but number one reason is Iniesta. I've been saying he is the best player ever since he and Barcelona won CL. Most people seem to consider Xavi as the number one play maker and Messi as the best player. Iniesta showed he can score and he can pass. Of course, Spain wins because of the entire team.

I also love David Silva. But he is sitting on bench because of other superstars.

Today's match was one of the most heart pounding matches ever. Wow. 0-0 dead lock game. Paraguay gets PK and misses. Few seconds later Spain gets PK and scores! Oh no retake! AND they miss too! And Iniesta finally breaks the water tight defense and makes a perfect pass to Pedro who hits the post! which rolls to Villa and he finally scoooo..NOOOO it hits the right post and it hits the left post and then it is FINALLY a goal@@@@ This is football. This is that 1-0 game that is more exciting than any other sports.

13. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Un pequenho resumen historico y sabras el porque:

Se que muchos de los ingleses no tragan a los Espanholes desde hace siglos y fueron ellos quienes empezaron en el siglo XVI con "la leyenda negra" contra Espanha y todo espanhol. No soy un fan de wiki pero este enlace lo resume bastante bien.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyenda_negra_espa%C3%B1ola

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

14. pmhong

pmhong New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I disagree. This is similar team to 2006 and 2008 team. I just think players matured more since 2006 team that lost to France and Zidane. Spain never made it to semi in WC. They are doing something right in this tournament.

The reaction by Spanish coach after the goal today was just too cool. Is he a human being?

15. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mediocre team? They beat Brazil IN BRAZIL, they beat argentiona at home.

Englan would not have a snow balls chance in hell to qualify in conmebol. They would be at home with colombia an ecuador.

England is the current day Uruguay, once a great champion and serious contendor for the world cup, but now are current day chumps. When's the last time england had a good team? germany 1990? mexico 86?

16. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does Spain ever really look like scoring aside from Villa this whole tournament?

None of the other big stars are performing or contributing to the goals enough.

17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Boliva beat Argentina 6-1, yet they wouldn't do anything on this stage.

18. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Totally agree about Spain 2008 and if you ask any Spaniard 99% of them would tell you Torres needs to ride the bench and start Cesc. Iniesta is not at 100% and only a couple of times today do you see flashes of Xavi of the past. This team is running at about 85% right now and DB will have to find a way to make the necessary changes prior to Wednesday to get them to that 95% level or it will be a long 90 minutes.

Every team has had a bad game or two in this WC, even Germany did so the question that will be decided in less then 96 hours is which Spain and Germany will show up on the pitch Wednesday evening?

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

19. pmhong

pmhong New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    This guy must hate Spain for whatever reason. Spain had their luck today against Paraguay. AND scoring one goal against the team that allowed zero goals the last several games was VERY impressive. I don't know what you hold against Spain, but they were favourites before WC began and looks like they just might win this time because luck was on their side today to push them through.

Germany is great but Spain still has the edge.

20. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Spain are miles better then England that's obvious, so let's leave that one aside.

I'm merely stating that Spains stars aside from Villa have not "arrived" yet for various reasons. Yes Iniesta has been injured and Torres was.

Spain need to learn how to be more direct when needed. Teams like Paraguay and Germany will stop them playing their short passing game and press them to hell.

21. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006
    You are just trolling, aren't you?

22. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hell I am still waiting for Rooney to score a goal in this WC!! :D

I think you need to pack it in and go to the England Post Tournament Analysis thread so you can cry with the rest of your mates, its right here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1473947

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

23. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006
    In my opinion, it is not that Torres has not "arrived" yet ..... he already "arrived".... and left for good.

I don't know how old he is, but he looks past his prime, he is useless right now ... he must be benched once for all

24. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I merely said I cannot see Spain winning the world cup based on the way they have played so far, too many of their players are not performing.

Italy managed to win the world cup playing like this so it's not impossible. But people expect more from Spain.

25. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I agree, it's almost as if we have turned into Italy.

Anyway, Del Bosque is not helping by puting players out of position or by playing ineffective players. Del Bosque has a vision for the national team but no one knows what it is.